Jul 01, 2017, 01:53 PM
eleven quad
Discussion

elevenQuad Onix 111 Frame (now on Armattan)

Hi All,

elevenQuad Onix 111 is my first custom frame, a durable micro freestyle designed for 2.3" - 2.5" props. I tried to add features we normally find only in bigger class like the top mount battery, the camera protection or the pythagorean geometry,. This is a very strong and durable quad!

In addition to classical 1104-1106 motors, it is also compatible with Emax BabyHawk (RS1104 motors and T2345 props) and Blade Torrent 110 components.

Available on Armattan Productions : https://armattanproductions.com/page...grid/5360/2200

Features :
  • 111 mm motor to motor, 3 mm bottom plate
  • 2.3" to 2.5" props
  • 1104 to 1106 motors
  • Compatible with Emax RS1104 motors and all others Emax BabyHawk components
  • Compatible with Blade Torrent 110 components
  • Same geometry than ImpulseRC Alien frame (pythagorean 3:4:5)
  • Runcam Micro Swift
  • Top mount battery
  • Cam angle from 0 to 90 ░
  • Almost no prop in view
  • Estimated at 15.4g carbon only (without optional back plates)
  • Optional 0.5g back plates to reinforce the frame and offer better cable management
  • 3 strong and light M3 aluminum standoffs thanks to a 4mm outer diameter
  • 22mm long standoffs, enough for 3 stack plates (fc, esc, vtx, rx, osd...)
  • Back plates can be replaced by custom 3D parts to add leds, buzzer or even disco ball
  • Support 20x20mm mounting holes flight controller (soon: 3D printed adapters for other formats)
  • Plenty of spaces on arms to mount individual ESC such as EMAX 6A/12A Bullet
  • Flight controller position can be adjusted back and forth to improve gyro position and cable management
  • Top plate is big enough to support 61mm long battery
  • Eachine ATX03 or VTX03 mounted inside with display visible on top
  • Compatible with FrSky XM/XM+ receivers
  • Easy access to VTX channel button and RX bind button

Thingiverse account : https://www.thingiverse.com/elevenquad/about

Current version : 1.6

Next steps :
Manual and build guidelines (and dimensions of back plates)
List of recommended hardware with links to external stores
Real product images
Adapters and 3D printed parts

Thanks to RCGroups members to help on this design, specially to benz11, swing2harmony and Fidy$Trainer
Last edited by pekcitron; Oct 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2017, 02:28 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Looks nice, the option to directly mount the Runcam is a nice feature.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 01, 2017, 03:52 PM
Llama
Add in a little nub on the arms that acts as a motor gaurd.

Is it tall enough to fit a 3 plate stack?

Seems solid other than thoose 2 minor things.
Jul 01, 2017, 04:51 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Will it support a 20x20 stack? I have my BH hardware installed on a Roarer Frame with a BetaFlight Omnibus 20x20 Flight Controller. I don't like the Femto FC because of its mechanics.

Are you planning on selling the frame? How much?
Jul 01, 2017, 05:02 PM
I have to be honest the profile looks like a person with a football helmet bending over with arms and legs spread out. Is there any function with having the angle bracket in the back section. Also what about some pre drilled holes to mount zip tie / antenna vtx to the bottom of the top plate? Just giving you ideas.

Pros
1) fits runcam micro although your limiting your buyers as most don't own this yet but many will be purchasing soon ( like me)
2)Camera well protectected
3)Nice thick bottom plate

Cons
Looks ugly
Kind of heavy

Suggestions
Make sure props are not in view
Make sure it fits the 20x20 stacks high size
Print some 3D printed prop guards camara gaurd skins
Make it more functional (drill some holes for zip ties)
Change the front edge of camera guard
Drop the angle bracket in the back
Add a signature feature that's cool

Considerations 2mm 2.5 or 3mm standoff support
Jul 01, 2017, 07:08 PM
Looks great, but 19.5 grams is HEAVY, plus there will be 4 or 5 extra grams added from the Runcam and seperate VTX over the stock terrible camera. If you're going to be adding all that weight, you will want to extend the arms so that it can swing a 2.5" or better yet a 3" prop which will also take advantage of the fact that these motors are very low KV.
Jul 02, 2017, 12:43 AM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekcitron
Hi All,

I have designed my first quad, a 110 mm frame designed for Emax RS1104 5250KV and T2345 props (same hardware as the Emax BabyHawk).
Features :
  • 110 mm motor to motor, [B]3 mm bottom plate{/B]--------------------------------------------------------------------------Good!
  • Build for Emax RS1104 5250KV and T2345 props
  • Runcam Micro Swift----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Good!
  • Top mount battery
  • Cam angle from 0 to 90 ░ !!!
  • Plenty of spaces on arms to mount individual ESC such as EMAX 6A Bullet (maybe the 12A too)---------Good!
  • 20x20 and 27x27 flight controller formats supported
  • Top plate is 55mm to support big batteries like Gens Ace 2S 350mAh
  • ATX03 or VTX03 can be mounted inside
  • Display of ATX03 or VTX03 still visible
  • Estimated at 19.5g without screws (Armattan carbon as ref), similar to Firer110
  • Easy management of antennas

Couple of good design features. Some top protection of some kind for VTX antenna might be nice.

Several other good suggestions so far too.

Because of the weight, you might have to reduce to 2.5mm bottom plate? Still pretty strong for the size. I would suggest you do not try to cut carbon out of the arms to save weight. Quads like to break the arms when some pieces are cut out.

Better than anything I could do!
Jul 02, 2017, 07:32 AM
eleven quad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Looks nice, the option to directly mount the Runcam is a nice feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_FPV
Add in a little nub on the arms that acts as a motor gaurd.

Is it tall enough to fit a 3 plate stack?

Seems solid other than thoose 2 minor things.
I'll check for motor guards but in later phase I think

3 plates stack of 20x20mm (16x16mm holes) should work, 27x27mm will works for 2 plates stack only. I have added a drawing for more details about the available space. I will try to increase this space (I have few ideas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver4
Will it support a 20x20 stack? I have my BH hardware installed on a Roarer Frame with a BetaFlight Omnibus 20x20 Flight Controller. I don't like the Femto FC because of its mechanics.

Are you planning on selling the frame? How much?
I agree for the femto and its mecanics. Ominbus 20x20 will fit, and there is room for the ESC too like here: https://www.banggood.com/Super_S-Fly...l?rmmds=search

I am building this with the idea of selling it, but will see how it goes. I will be so happy to sell it! I have no idea about price yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
I have to be honest the profile looks like a person with a football helmet bending over with arms and legs spread out. Is there any function with having the angle bracket in the back section. Also what about some pre drilled holes to mount zip tie / antenna vtx to the bottom of the top plate? Just giving you ideas.

Pros
1) fits runcam micro although your limiting your buyers as most don't own this yet but many will be purchasing soon ( like me)
2)Camera well protectected
3)Nice thick bottom plate

Cons
Looks ugly
Kind of heavy

Suggestions
Make sure props are not in view
Make sure it fits the 20x20 stacks high size
Print some 3D printed prop guards camara gaurd skins
Make it more functional (drill some holes for zip ties)
Change the front edge of camera guard
Drop the angle bracket in the back
Add a signature feature that's cool

Considerations 2mm 2.5 or 3mm standoff support
Thanks for all these inputs

I'll redesign the back, your comments gave me some ideas! This will help to reduce weight as well.

My idea was to mount the VTX03 under the top plate (display oriented to sky and antenna to back). Like this you can zip ties the antenna with the middle bar at the end of the top plate. But I think you are right and this might be too dangerous for the antenna.

I can't confirm but props shouldn't be in view, 3:4:5 geometry helps this and frame is quite long.

See my drawing for 20x20mm (16x16mm holes) but I will work on this too.

Currently it is M3 20mm nylon standoffs (6mm outer diameter). As the front is fixed with only one standoff I am not sure it's good idea to go lower. Why not for the two on the back...

What do you mean by "Change the front edge of camera guard" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciotti87
Looks great, but 19.5 grams is HEAVY, plus there will be 4 or 5 extra grams added from the Runcam and seperate VTX over the stock terrible camera. If you're going to be adding all that weight, you will want to extend the arms so that it can swing a 2.5" or better yet a 3" prop which will also take advantage of the fact that these motors are very low KV.
I agree with you, I have some idea to do reduce the weight, will see how it goes

I did some measuring (see the added drawing on top) and 2.5" should be ok. I will try to have a bit more margin. Do you have some motor references for 2.5" (good brand if possible)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
Features :
  • 110 mm motor to motor, [B]3 mm bottom plate{/B]--------------------------------------------------------------------------Good!
  • Build for Emax RS1104 5250KV and T2345 props
  • Runcam Micro Swift----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Good!
  • Top mount battery
  • Cam angle from 0 to 90 ░ !!!
  • Plenty of spaces on arms to mount individual ESC such as EMAX 6A Bullet (maybe the 12A too)---------Good!
  • 20x20 and 27x27 flight controller formats supported
  • Top plate is 55mm to support big batteries like Gens Ace 2S 350mAh
  • ATX03 or VTX03 can be mounted inside
  • Display of ATX03 or VTX03 still visible
  • Estimated at 19.5g without screws (Armattan carbon as ref), similar to Firer110
  • Easy management of antennas

Couple of good design features. Some top protection of some kind for VTX antenna might be nice.

Several other good suggestions so far too.

Because of the weight, you might have to reduce to 2.5mm bottom plate? Still pretty strong for the size. I would suggest you do not try to cut carbon out of the arms to save weight. Quads like to break the arms when some pieces are cut out.

Better than anything I could do!
Yep I will redo the VTX antenna protection/fixation

I am planning to use Armattan carbon and not sure if I can get 2.5mm. I will drop a mail soon with some other questions I have.
Jul 02, 2017, 07:44 AM
eleven quad
For those that have missed it, here are dimensions for tower of FC/ESC/RX/VTX and props size

Jul 02, 2017, 02:15 PM
If you make it compatible with 2.5" and reduce the weight a bit, I think we'll have a winner.
Jul 02, 2017, 08:26 PM
This looks really good! I have already damaged the lens on my Swift Micro from it not being well protected in the frame of my Torrent 110...

If the weight is a problem, you could consider offering it in 2mm frame thickness; even though it sounds thin, the Blade Torrent 110 is 2mm and in 200+ pages over in the Torrent thread I don't think anyone has reported a broken frame yet.

I also wish this frame had ability to mount FC etc with 25x25mm holes, so the Torrent owners have an option but it looks like that would interfere with the camera mounting plates.
Last edited by benz11; Jul 02, 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Jul 03, 2017, 05:46 AM
eleven quad
Quote:
Originally Posted by swing2harmony
If you make it compatible with 2.5" and reduce the weight a bit, I think we'll have a winner.
first test for 2.5" is good but that will be tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz11
This looks really good! I have already damaged the lens on my Swift Micro from it not being well protected in the frame of my Torrent 110...

If the weight is a problem, you could consider offering it in 2mm frame thickness; even though it sounds thin, the Blade Torrent 110 is 2mm and in 200+ pages over in the Torrent thread I don't think anyone has reported a broken frame yet.

I also wish this frame had ability to mount FC etc with 25x25mm holes, so the Torrent owners have an option but it looks like that would interfere with the camera mounting plates.
Nice to see that Torrent 110 users can be interested. Could you give me the external size of the board?
Jul 03, 2017, 06:44 AM
United States, NC, Cary
You want your center-of-gravity to be in the middle of the the Flight Controller. [Actually you want the center-of-gravity to be be right on the gyro.] To me it looks like the FC is too far back.
Jul 03, 2017, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekcitron

Nice to see that Torrent 110 users can be interested. Could you give me the external size of the board?
It is hard to get an accurate measurement but I am pretty sure the 4-in-1 ESC (the lower PCB) is 29.4mm wide by 32.6mm long. The FC sits above the ESCs and is approx 30.0mm wide by 31.4mm deep. These both have 25x25mm mounting holes using M2 socket head cap screws.
Jul 03, 2017, 09:07 AM
eleven quad
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver4
You want your center-of-gravity to be in the middle of the the Flight Controller. [Actually you want the center-of-gravity to be be right on the gyro.] To me it looks like the FC is too far back.
You are right, FC is a bit on the back. But most of mini/micro FC have the gyro a bit in front on the board. The only one I know is centered is the Raceflight Millivolt. FuriousFPV PIKO F4 is more in the back but then we can rotate the board and fixed.

Will be nice to have some slides to move the gyro precisely in the center. However, I don't think I can keep both mounting holes (16x16 and 20x20).

Quick Reply