servo gear won't stop spinning and servo horn isn't moving - RC Groups
Jun 29, 2017, 04:53 PM
Discussion

servo gear won't stop spinning and servo horn isn't moving

Hello,

I have an animatronic eye mechanism I built off a tutorial, and one of the eyelid servos isn't working properly. Whenever I connect it to a servo driver, the motor won't stop spinning. This is an OSEPP LS 0006 plastic gear analog servo. I can see through the clear blue plastic that one of the gears is spinning, but it seems that it is not connecting to the other gears, and the horn is not moving. When I set the servo to neutral I can get the gear to stop moving.

I'm guessing that this gear or the gear it is supposed to drive is stripped, and the gear keeps spinning because I'm trying to set the horn to a new position, and the servo can tell that the horn has not changed positions. Can anyone say if this sounds like a correct diagnosis? Can I replace the stripped gear if it is indeed stripped? Can I replace it with a metal gear to keep it from stripping again? Can anyone tell me where to get replacement gears for this servo (OSEPP LS 0006 plastic gear analog)?

Thank you,

BenG
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2017, 05:27 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Yes, it sounds like you hit the nail on the head. Stripped gears are a very common problem. Esp. with very small servos you have to be careful not to move the output arm by hand. It tends to over torque the gears.

The good news is that you can get a stronge servo of the same size. Just look for a metal gear version. HiTec make good servos.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...nd-mini-servos
Latest blog entry: Nothing
Jun 29, 2017, 06:32 PM
Hitec does make very good servos, but for the 9g size servos, I have found Emax to be more precise than the small Hitecs, but much cheaper.
For larger servos I run Hitecs almost exclusively
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-12g...rvo_p_192.html.
The digital version of these 12g servos are only $6.95
Pete
Jun 29, 2017, 07:37 PM
Small servos are easy to strip. You should be able to get a replacement gear set and they are not hard to change.
Jun 29, 2017, 07:59 PM
Thanks so much guys!

Quick Reply