FAI ruling question: why is there a wing area limitation? - RC Groups
Jun 29, 2017, 02:09 PM
Discussion

FAI ruling question: why is there a wing area limitation?

So I was reading the FAI sporting code for XC soaring records (SC4_Vol_CIAM_Records_17_V2) and noticed there was a limit on wing area. (Maximum surface area shall be 150 dm2).

Assuming the max AUW is 5kg why would they need a wing area restriction? Wouldn't building your glider too big be detrimental to the performance?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2017, 10:08 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
There's a wing loading restriction in many of the F3 and F5 formats, and the combination of area & mass defines the range of permissible designs.

Having the wing area limit prevents people from building ultra-floaters as light-air only ships. It functionally limits the competitive designs to ones which are reasonably flyable in all flying conditions, not having pure high-wing and pure light air ships.
Jul 03, 2017, 02:07 AM
More or less you have a MAX of 2325sq in. to design a wing with. max 5Kg weight or 11.0lbs

Now plus or minus of your choice. Just make your own decisions. How do you make your Plane go 65-75mps ish. and keep it controllable while you are in a CAR under it while being bounced around in the sky etc....

Fun Concept Right!?!?!?
Jul 03, 2017, 12:51 PM
about the only reason I can think of to design/build a sailplane at the max square inches would be to set an altitude gained record. And it better be on a day with little to no wind. A giant sailplane with such light wing loading would be pretty much useless for all other XC soaring.
Jul 04, 2017, 12:56 PM
Thanks fellas!
Jul 07, 2017, 03:18 AM
The FAI is a French organization may have even started before the Wright bros. When ballooning was popular.

The FAI limits on models were invented for a good reason a long time ago for model flying.

They were to define the difference between a model and a full size aeroplane.

As I remember all FAI events and records for C/L F/F and R/C still have these limits.

10cc engine 5Kg 150Dm and a wing loading that I cant recall.

Cheers jq
Jul 07, 2017, 09:24 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie John
The FAI is a French organization may have even started before the Wright bros. When ballooning was popular.

The FAI limits on models were invented for a good reason a long time ago for model flying.

They were to define the difference between a model and a full size aeroplane.

As I remember all FAI events and records for C/L F/F and R/C still have these limits.

10cc engine 5Kg 150Dm and a wing loading that I cant recall.

Cheers jq
The FAI has always been an international organization, it was founded in 1905 due to a resolution passed by the Olympic Committee calling for an organization to regulate the sport of flying, and is headquartered in Switzerland. 8 countries national aero clubs were involved in the founding (some of which predate the Wright Brothers, but not by much. the oldest club involved dates to 1900)