Designing an indoor micro model for a 4m by 4m (12ft by 12ft) area - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 27, 2017, 01:20 AM
Design is everything.
Discussion

Designing an indoor micro model for a 4m by 4m (12ft by 12ft) area

Obviously my flying space is limited. I have ended up tethering my twin motor RC "J3 Cub" to a line and flying it outside. There is simply no space to turn, and maneuverability is limited because of the differential engine thrust type of control.

Time to start from scratch again. What I need to build is something like a 3 channel paper plane (throttle, elevators and ailerons) that I could fly indoors and outdoors on a calm day.

The radio will be standard 2.4GHz unit. I have quadcopter transmitter but not sure if I can use this - seems proprietary.

The receiver will have to be lightweight, and so will the servos and battery. I am willing to compromise on flight time of about 5 minutes with spare battery packs to start again once one pack is used up.

Preliminary testing will be done with glider and free flight models suitable weighted to see if they can turn in a small space. High AoA flight is a distinct possibility.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2017, 01:22 AM
Design is everything.
See this thread: Post # 10 has a Mirage that seems to be suitable for this purpose. Also see Post # 19

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...minnimal-space
Jun 27, 2017, 03:46 AM
many things possible with a LOT of time, effort and expertise: one of my low-cost toy designs to meet small-space req.
(note one-hand control) >

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Hogs-Room.../dp/B000O5YU66

Spin Master RoomRaider (sold as Dragon Fighter in UK)

prototype in friend's tiny living-room as small-space demo!

RoomRaider Prototype (1 min 1 sec)

consumer

Air Hogs Room Raider (1 min 11 sec)

two vids "out of the box", unchanged from the unauthorized change the Chinese factory made to save maybe 1/10th cent (leaving vert stab flat and skewing the entire surface instead of just the very tip, which allows speed-filtered roll-effect)

Air Hogs Room Raider Electric RC airplane (1 min 6 sec)

Air Hogs Room Raider R/C 2 (0 min 14 sec)
Last edited by xlcrlee; Jul 08, 2017 at 04:14 PM.
Jun 27, 2017, 04:20 AM
IF you want to make one ... for PERSONAL use only (i.e., NOT for commercial sales use: world-leading major toy company Spin Master has excellent legal dept.)

note: FILES ARE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND LEGALLY PRIVILEGED (Spin Master)
Jun 27, 2017, 04:36 AM
bought one on ebay here is RCG thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...RF/page2&pp=15
Jun 27, 2017, 06:04 AM
Design is everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
IF you want to make one ... for PERSONAL use only (i.e., NOT for commercial sales use: world-leading major toy company Spin Master has excellent legal dept.)

note: FILES ARE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND LEGALLY PRIVILEGED (Spin Master)
That's really amazing. It just demonstrates that there is a need for this sort of thing. There is also a twin rotor helicopter like concept that seems interesting,

Will watch the videos and get back to you. I cannot understand how it would work...
Jun 27, 2017, 06:43 AM
how it works >

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
I thought the first post was pretty clear. From what i can see.....

It flys in high alpha mode to induce slow flight , but the plane looks like it was designed to not look like it is flying nose high.

It uses a single throttle stick for controlling the power to the motor.

At the lowest setting, it goes straight and level, or was suppose to.

More throttle makes it start to turn.

Full throttle makes it turn sharp ,and start to climb.

These are similar to setups that were used in free flight aircraft. You would set them up to circle one direction under power, and the other direction when the power ran down. Keep them in the field that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayhead
It is so interesting to stumble across this thread. I have spoken to several modelers about the idea of a single channel, motor-only plane that would fly in the manner that this "Room Raider" is designed to do. I think I would have a lot of fun with this idea of an indoor or calm conditions outdoor plane that turns one way power off and straight with moderate power then circling the other way with high power.
A few weeks ago I spent $11 on a Vroom Zoom and used the components to make such a plane. It was coming along nicely when the gears stripped and I shelved the project for the time being.
I was hoping to have a very light and slow plane. I'd like to try again and am wondering if the components used in the room raider are of any higher quality than the stuff in the vroom zoom, which I found to be quite disappointing.
I've always enjoyed the philosophy of doing more with less. Sailboats and gliders forever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
Such a removable tab was originally intended to be included with the product, and could also be repositioned to allow OUTDOOR flight that could outclimb the AA/X-Twins and generally fly under much more precise control. AND that product was capable of flying straight as well as turning in precisely controllable circles as small as 1.2 m/ 4+ ft. diameter! To get the store-bought one to do this with a simple UNmod taking only a few minutes, see >> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=Room+Raider

more advanced follow-on (2-ch acting as 3-ch)

office flight

Micro Fighter /StarScream RTF R/C F-22 OFFICE flight (0 min 14 sec)

Indoor Aircraft Carrier Landing (0 min 5 sec)

outdoors in strong wind

Micro Fighter /StarScream RTF R/C F-22 ORIGINAL version (0 min 42 sec)
Last edited by xlcrlee; Jun 27, 2017 at 07:20 AM.
Jun 27, 2017, 06:40 PM
The original Vapor from Horizon, was and still is the best limited space flyer I have seen
All up is 14 grams flies 5 min easily
Flight speed is walking speed once you learn to fly at slightly high aoa.
Jun 28, 2017, 12:52 AM
Design is everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
The original Vapor from Horizon, was and still is the best limited space flyer I have seen
All up is 14 grams flies 5 min easily
Flight speed is walking speed once you learn to fly at slightly high aoa.
Anyone use Night Vapor components to build lets say a model for slightly different aesthetic tastes? For example a transparent wing Cessna 180 or the like?
Jun 28, 2017, 01:09 AM
The trick, is to stay at 14 grams
a change of 5 grams is extremely noticable
Jun 28, 2017, 01:21 AM
Design is everything.
For the overall design, I think the following site is a good start. (Results from a web search).

http://micromodeldrome.com/quick-bui...inted-68-c.asp

For RC equipment: (from the website)

"using the all in one Rc equipment such as AR6400 or other all in one "Brick" type of equipment"
Jun 28, 2017, 02:49 AM
Design is everything.
The control system could be built around this?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2-4ghz-s...ar-servos.html

Weight 3.4 grammes
Last edited by Designer2010; Jun 28, 2017 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added info
Jun 28, 2017, 06:55 AM
Design is everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pile It
Could not find any info on which transmitter is compatible - put it another can I use any of the sub $30 transmitters with this micro receiver.

Or is there any other Tx Rx combination that is low cost and suitable for micro indoor planes?
Jul 07, 2017, 09:44 PM
Design is everything.
8 grammes flight weight, this is the one to beat. Maybe some high lift devices will help. Pretty impressive.

Flyzone - Inum - 12/29/2016 - Flight and 2 Year Review (7 min 38 sec)