Oct 26, 2004, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Stinson voyager 108-3 build

This is my first build thread so please correct anything i am doing wrong. I love scratch building and i purchased the sinson voyager 108-3 plans off Rc modeler. These plans were designed by Pat Tritle and i love the look of this plane (Thanks Pat!)

I later emailed Pat asking if there had been any updates on the model or setup since it has been a few years, orginally it ran on:

speed 400 geared 2.3:1
6 cell 600mah
standard rx and 2 sub micro servos

He replied with a new setup to fly it lighter, slower and longer!

280 4:1
10-7 APC Slow Fly prop
2 Sub Micro servos
5A ESC - i will be using a 8amp and a 4-Channel 4.7 grams/ 0.16 oz rx
700 3C lipo
Acording to Pat this = something like 14oz and 30 minute durications!

extra:

wingspan: 48"
cord: 7"
Wing Area: 313sq. in.
Airfoil: Flat bottom 12% thick with 40% high point

Due to my very small working area i can't get much done, but i what to take it slow anyway, Oh and at the moment im using CA glue, is there any other glues i should get, like epoxy?

Thanks guys
James

~~here is a pic of the stinson and my bench to see how small i mean, and yes i did block one door off in my room for more space ~~
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2004, 09:03 AM
Hey, any space is better than none! And even with a big bench, I do well to keep a couple square feet open for actual building. The rest ends up storage space for all maner of things that just end up on the workbench. Sanding blocks, glue, clamps, knives, mail, etc... it's a constant battle!

Start with medium and thin CA, I use mostly medium. Thin is handy now and then, but can be a mess as it wants to run and wick all over the place. Some 5-minute epoxy is handy once in a while. But I think you could build that whole plane with medium CA, some 150 grit sandpaper, and an X-acto knife...and maybe some pliers and a screwdriver and a drill bit or two...

Good luck and keep us posted,

ericm

ps. will post a couple pics of a Stinson that we're removing floats and putting wheels on...
Oct 26, 2004, 09:27 AM
Account closed
I am going to try the following setup:

ASTRO FLIGHT 010, 14-turn (2300 RPM/VOLT)
ASTRO FLIGHT all ALU. 3.3:1 ratio gearbox with prop adapter
APC "Slow Flyer" 9 X 7.5
ETec (First Generation) 1200mAH, 3S1P, Li-POLY (2.05 oz.)

The above setup provides lots of thrust and air speed (when you need it) and at half throttle it draws 1.98 AMPs and at Wide Open 4.5 AMPs.

I can get about 25 minutes of flight durtation with my HERR ENGINEERING Mini-Sport with just 35.5 inch wing span at 11 1/8 oz. all Flight Ready.

I would imagine that the Stinson Voyager will be super light as well and will get even more flight duration!

Carlos
Oct 26, 2004, 09:30 AM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by _James_
Due to my very small working area i can't get much done, but i what to take it slow anyway, Oh and at the moment im using CA glue, is there any other glues i should get, like epoxy?

Thanks guys
James
Use White glue and not EPOXY!! (Alphitic?) Resin is the best and much stronger than most EPOXY glues and lighter! Just have to wait a little longer!

Carlos
Oct 26, 2004, 10:14 AM
easily confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Use White glue and not EPOXY!! (Alphitic?) Resin is the best and much stronger than most EPOXY glues and lighter! Just have to wait a little longer!

Carlos
Did you mean yellow glue, which is what the aliphatic resin is? I suspect so, and in general...absolutely agreed! I build primarily with aliphatic resin, has a very strong bond. Of course, it's better to use than CA in areas that need more than a thousandth of a second working time, too . The thin CA comes out when I KNOW I've got a part that's positioned exactly and firmly and isn't going to move. Now, as to white glue, my only use for it is thinned with water to apply tissue covering, but then only if it's going to be doped. Besides having less strength than aliphatic, white glue isn't particularly waterproof and should never be used anywhere exposed to the elements.

That said, every modeler's gotta have some epoxy around; used strategically and sparingly sometimes it's the best thing to use for certain critical apps, IMO...like Porsche, there IS no substitute

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Oct 26, 2004 at 10:19 AM.
Oct 26, 2004, 10:45 AM
designer/builder

sweet brid ericm!

What motor is in that 108? I've always thought a 108 on floats would be a great plane. Sure would want to grease it on landing on grass with floats.

My full scale project is restoring a Champion 7GC which has 150hp in it. Planning floats down the road when I can afford them.

Rob
Oct 26, 2004, 01:08 PM

Stinson

Should be great fun kit. Recommend you cover with Coverlite or Lightspan. If you use these coverings, make a mockup balsa frame. Paint it with Sticksit or Balsarite and practice covering it. I tack the covering to the frame, then rub the iron across the frame around the perimeter to get the covering taught. Then I carefully run the iron over the covering to shrink it, avoiding loosening the bond at the perimeter of the frame while doing the final shrink. You will need to cover the bottom of wings, paint the edge of the covering with adhesive, let dry, then cover the top. Fuselages get covered bottom, sides and top in that order. Be sure that you have the shiny side up. Dope doesn't stick too well to Coverite and it cracks in time. Acrylic paints do better
Oct 27, 2004, 04:44 AM
Thread OP
thanks for all the advice guys and i love your plane ericm!
E-challenged: sorry to correct you but i have only purchased the plans so i have put together a list and wait to go to the LHS and i have had experiance with litespan and airspan, i will be using balsa lock for the adhessive,
thanks for all the tips but building has been delayed due to school....

James
Oct 27, 2004, 04:54 AM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by _James_
but building has been delayed due to school....

James
James,

Tell us it ain't so....?

Oh, you can at least do one, two and three sticks four? Then go to school??

Carlos
Oct 27, 2004, 09:19 AM
Hey guys,

The full-scale Stinson on floats in the pics has a Continental 0-470 which works out well... not my plane, can't afford one on my budget, lol

ericm
Oct 27, 2004, 09:55 AM
Neophyte hacker
ericm,

That landing should have been a real sight!

James,

I also vote for thin and med CA, 5 min epoxy, and yellow glue. I use med CA the most. Epoxy the least. I also like airspan. Not sure why except that it is more like working with tissue. Brings back days of youth

Pat's planes tend to like lower speeds (more scale looking) and will get a little squirelly (Pat's words) if overpowered. His prototype flies really nice. Typical of his stuff you can sit back in the lawn chair and fly it around while smoking a stogie (sorry, sipping a soda, tobacco=bad! ).

School interrupts your build, work interrupts mine

And ignore all us old farts in here. You should do great and we love to see someone else posting a build thread. Remember that any mistakes help the rest of us learn too so let us know of them too!

charlie
Oct 27, 2004, 09:57 AM
Neophyte hacker
Carlos,

Are you bilding one of these too?

charlie
Oct 27, 2004, 04:08 PM

Stinson Voyager

Guys,

I really like these Stinsons. I'm happy to see someone building them. Kit or scratch!

Lots of Pics, please,

Roger
Oct 27, 2004, 07:58 PM
James, Out of all the airplanes I've designed, the 48" Stinson was my absolute favorite -- up to last week that is. Since the Pilatus Porter flew, everything else moved back 1 notch. But not to worry, the little Voyager is still a gem!
PAT

Quick Reply