Oct 26, 2004, 06:39 AM
Tell that to George Zipp!
Thread OP

My new camera mount

I decided to use the hole in the bottom of my camera to mount it on my SS. It is 1/4X20 threads so I got some nylon hardware at Home Depot. I used 2 pieces of plywood and it clamps onto the stick. The long bolt I heated and bent backwards to make the camera aim down. I put a jam nut against the camera body so it won't loosen in flight(I hope). It can be aimed in any direction easily and even between the landing gear.
I have the Nikon 3700 so it can shoot video. Since it is mounted inverted, does anybody know how to rotate video 180 degrees?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2004, 06:50 AM
Ugh.. I hope that's not the only way it's held to the model?
..a
Oct 26, 2004, 06:52 AM
Team HeliProz
Interesting setup.

Your not worried about the heated/bent portion of the bolt, being a weak point?

Not sure about rotating the video.

~Matt
Oct 26, 2004, 06:54 AM
Mike,

Nice mount, very simple, but effective.

one suggestion thought. Use the wrist strap and attach it round the fuselage(stick), so that if your cam does vibrate loose, it wont fall to the ground.

If you need to rotate video, and do lots of other cool things with it I would suggest VirtualDub http://www.virtualdub.org/
It accepts mpeg and AVI video files (what does the nikon save video as?)

Hope this helps

Stuart
Oct 26, 2004, 07:16 AM
Where's the Kaboom?
it saves it as a .mov (Quicktime), and that's your answer.... Quicktime Pro will allow you to rotate .MOV files.

http://www.necoffee.com/imovievqs/rotate.html
Oct 26, 2004, 07:22 AM
Where's the Kaboom?
or you can convert the .mov file, so a different format like .avi and then use virtualdub. For converstion I use Ulead Video Studio 8, which also makes a very awesome video editor. Here is something I threw together using the same software with my Nikon 3700. Take note of the size of the file. The same .mov file would be about 200MB.

Right click "Save Target As"
Oct 26, 2004, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Ugh.. I hope that's not the only way it's held to the model?
..a
I know it looks weird, but I shook it and shaked and it seems to be on there really well. When I heated and bent the nylon, I don't think it weakened it. I think it is clever because most things I invent are over complicated. My other mount was more typical, but it only looked right and had a fixed angle. Now I can change it at the field.
I may put a small tether to the camera strap hole just in case

MIKE
Oct 26, 2004, 04:56 PM
Mike, that's a pretty cool idea, but if i were you i would just make a BAR-STOOL mount.

Both me and kyle use it and it's easy to build and reliable.

Just my $.02

ash
Oct 26, 2004, 06:00 PM
but my BAR-STOOL mount is pretty beefy. weighs almost 3 ounces! (due to my imperfect building ) That one looks light but downright scarey! Like Stuart said and put the little wrist strap and wrap it around the fuse. I still do that with my camera even thought its screwed into my camera mount.
Oct 26, 2004, 07:21 PM
Crash Dummy!!!
Thanks for the pics Mr. Mike.

I think I will use something like that to attach to my wooden camera mount to the plane.

Now that I have gone to Lipos my camera mount just doesn't sit right without the flat
battery pack under the stick.
Oct 26, 2004, 07:39 PM
whoa, 3 ounces kyle?!? Mines maybe 1-2 ounces and i used nails AND epoxy.

ash
Oct 26, 2004, 09:30 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Where might one go to find this Bar-Stool mount? Does he have a website?
Oct 26, 2004, 09:46 PM
(1) https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=Bar+mount
(2 best one) https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=Bar+mount

those should give you an idea of how to make the camera mount. Bar-stool has a real talent making these things as mine look nowhere as good as his!!!
Oct 26, 2004, 10:24 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Thanks, those are some nice mounts indeed, especially the one with the copilot.
Oct 27, 2004, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
Honestly, I like mine more. Much simpler and lighter. The only downside is I have no protection in a crash. Since I will use the "sports" mode where it continuosly takes pictures, I don't need a servo switch. I just need to wait for a bright sunny day to try it out.

Quick Reply