de Havilland Sea Vixen - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 04, 2017, 05:58 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Managed to get out this afternoon for a VERY short flight, bad sky, people on the park and lots of nerves

Anyway she flew straight off the plans and apart from needing some up elevator (I knew I should have given the horizontal stab a bit of positive incidence ... bugger) and it needed more elevator .. maybe it a little nose heavy ?? .. ailerons were a little twitch (for my liking)

But all in all I am very happy with a very successful maiden

Adam and Duke .. if I were you I would add 20 mm to the front of the horizontal stab and make the elevator 15mm wider (into the horizontal stab) also give the horizontal stab a couple of degrees positive incidence ... back up a tad ... will change on new plans

Lockey

Sea Vixen maiden (2 min 32 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 04, 2017 at 06:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2017, 06:34 AM
treefinder
White plane, grey sky! Gotta be the worst, but ya did good, looks like she flys well!
Jul 04, 2017, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
White plane, grey sky! Gotta be the worst, but ya did good, looks like she flys well!
Hey Mike, thanks mate .. good to see ya

Lockey
Jul 04, 2017, 06:52 AM
That's the way to do it! Short but sweet with no drama, at least I don't think there was any. I'm having to watch with the sound down at work.

Beautiful stuff!
Jul 04, 2017, 06:59 AM
treefinder
Ha, both online at opposite sides of the world; ain't technology wonderful? (Well, except for CNC learning curves!) You have really nailed the techniques of getting sexy curves out of foam sheets, i like following your builds!
It is funny how many times we do maidens with raw foam and the only time we can do it is on a full cloud cover day. Actually i think most all my recent ones have been like that. Bad luck or just crazy??? Maybe it is good, keeps us cautious and from doing something stupidly over confident. I think mine have all survived their gray maidens.
Jul 04, 2017, 07:00 AM
Oh La La!!! Sweeeeeeeet!!!
Jul 04, 2017, 07:34 AM
When cows fly!
That is one sweet plane Lockey! Good job Now for a paint job!
Jul 04, 2017, 09:56 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Well Done MATE!!! My son watched my Pitbull maiden video while I was editing and uploading. He said "why are breathing like that in the video"? I promptly told him " Cause I'm freaking out!"
Love the maiden for getting that adrenalin pumping.
Thanks for going to trouble of doing the maiden in such sketchy conditions mate { don't let David pressure you } you've done a wonderful job!
I've just got mine printed out..... Very excited.
I'll have a look at the H-slab when cutting it out, I'll be doing some mods to mine anyway..
Jul 04, 2017, 06:25 PM
Looks great Tony! Might have to make this my first edf. Had two small bubbas since I built the bd5, and in a tiny 2 bed in London there ain't much room for building! Moving to a bigger place this weekend with a garden, and a workshop waiting to be built. Looking forward to building again.

Also I sound just like that every maiden. Ha.

Cheers, Wij.
Jul 04, 2017, 07:12 PM
Hey Wij, good to see you again mate, look forward to seeing you building again .. its been a while

This one might need quite a few mods to make it a EDF mate

Lockey
Jul 05, 2017, 09:54 PM
When cows fly!
Hmmmmmm.....I posted like 14 hours ago and there are no new pictures of the Vixen in paint!!! What the heck Lockey????? At least post another flight video
Jul 05, 2017, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer146
Hmmmmmm.....I posted like 14 hours ago and there are no new pictures of the Vixen in paint!!! What the heck Lockey????? At least post another flight video
Sorry mate, been doing other things .. like shopping for rugs and stuff for the house .. borrrring and had more new furniture delivered etc

Guys have been here past 3 days doing my attic conversion / hanger, they couldn't finish off the whirly on the roof (which also gives light) as the weather has been too bad so its quite dark up there .. need to get a light in it .. they will hopefully be back sometime this week as soon as the weather clears up

Today I need to do some clearing up and more unpacking and then as soon as I can get into the attic I have to put up my racks to hang the planes and lots of stuff to go up there too

AND ... I've been playing with this (see pic)

Lockey
Jul 06, 2017, 04:13 AM
Will you be posting plans for the Sea Vixen to your wedsite soon? As usual, AWESOME build!

Ksqm
Jul 06, 2017, 05:04 AM
I did manage to get a coat of paint on her, just hand painted with a brush .. just doing the simple colour scheme

Lockey
Jul 06, 2017, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm
Will you be posting plans for the Sea Vixen to your wedsite soon? As usual, AWESOME build!

Ksqm
Thanks Ksqm I have a few little mods to do then will post them

And here is an exploded view .. as good as I can get it

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 06, 2017 at 05:56 AM.