de Havilland Sea Vixen - RC Groups
Jun 25, 2017, 11:53 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

de Havilland Sea Vixen

Hi Guys, here's another foamy for the collection ... de Havilland Sea vixen

Its about 900mm wing span, 960mm long and I estimate it will weigh about 800 grams all up with battery

Its a pusher and I will be using a Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor with 6 x 4 or 7 x 4 prop and a 40A Turnigy Plush ESC

I will probably use Hobby King foam for most of the build

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jun 26, 2017 at 12:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2017, 11:53 PM
Reserved for pics etc

Specs for Sea Vixen

900mm wing span
960mm long
Weight: without battery 480 grams .. (before paint)
Weight: with 2200 / 3s battery 680 grams .. (before paint)
Weight: after paint (no battery) 530 grams
Motor: Turnigy D2826-6 - 2200kv
Prop: 6 x 4
ESC: 40A Turnigy Plush

I have marked the CG on the plans

Plans are now available ... https://www.lockeysrcplans.com/produ...vixen-900mm-ws

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 07, 2017 at 10:21 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 05:35 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Woohoo! Mate!...... she looks real good! Got some ideas flowing.....
Won't be able too Vtail this one
Jun 26, 2017, 08:16 AM
A double V tail might look cool ...
Jun 26, 2017, 10:29 AM
When cows fly!
This should be an awesome build! It will give me something to watch while I am at a Cisco conference all week!
Jun 26, 2017, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer146
This should be an awesome build! It will give me something to watch while I am at a Cisco conference all week!
Stay safe David, I hear these Cisco conferences can get pretty wild!

I'm looking forward to seeing all the bits all CNC'ed out. Then I'll show Jen how neat they are, how they're not all covered in blood and how there aren't bits of foam all over the front room. Once she sees this she will buy me a CNC machine I reckon
Last edited by scorchythebear; Jun 26, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
Stay safe David, I hear these Cisco conferences can get pretty wild!

I'm looking forward to seeing all the bits all CNC'ed out. Then I'll show Jen how neat they are, how they're not all covered in blood and how there aren't bits of foam all over the front room. Once she sees this she will buy me a CNC machine I reckon
Reckon you are right Adam, I can see a CNC machine sitting in your front room .. by the way .. whats a Cisco conference ? I seem to remember the Cisco Kid (cowboy) when I was a kid .. so is it a cowboy conference ?

Lockey
Jun 26, 2017, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004
A double V tail might look cool ...
You mean like this jumo004 .. just for Duke

Lockey
Jun 26, 2017, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Reckon you are right Adam, I can see a CNC machine sitting in your front room .. by the way .. whats a Cisco conference ? I seem to remember the Cisco Kid (cowboy) when I was a kid .. so is it a cowboy conference ?

Lockey
Lol....... Crisco is a home delivery end of the year Christmas package.... you pay so much each week
Jun 26, 2017, 10:04 PM
Quote:

Lockey
LMAO!! WOW looks quite GOOD!
Jun 27, 2017, 11:47 AM
Quote:

Lockey
Heck YEA !! Maybe have the inboard pieces angle a little more so that they touch in the middle and shorten the outboard ones a tad ?

Dukejet could have some fun with this one .

The original looks pretty darn good too !!
Jun 27, 2017, 06:32 PM
I've started cutting stuff out!

I am choosing to ignore the v-tail fetishism above (it does look alright though, disturbingly).

I'll get some pictures once I have all the bits.
Jun 28, 2017, 06:01 AM
Well really painful day today, spent all day trying to get the CNC machine to cut properly (teething problems) but I could have cut out the parts by hand and had the damn thing half built by now .. oh well

Trouble is that I wasn't able to mark the centers of the formers and skins so will have to be careful so as not to get a twist in either the booms or the fuselage .. big learning curve learning to drive the software to turn the patterns into code for the CNC machine to read

Anyway here are the parts I did manage eventually to cut out other big parts I will cut out by hand

Looks like too many parts on this one .. I think I will have to go back to simpler designs .. I guess its the booms that have made so many extra parts

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jun 28, 2017 at 06:08 AM.
Jun 28, 2017, 10:30 AM
When cows fly!
Yup! Lots of parts
Jun 28, 2017, 06:41 PM
Lockey ... you sound discouraged?

More pieces = more fun! Lol...