This thread is privately moderated by Antic bipe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 25, 2017, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Idea

Saito FA120 overhaul

Hi All, I recently decided to revive an old Saito Family 120 and the aircraft it was in. The engine was very dirty but had no physical damage. After cleaning and stripping I rebuilt the engine with new ntn bearings using a fully sealed one in the front with the rear seal removed. I managed to find a new piston ring and valves as well. I was unable to find a gasket set so had to cut my own. The needle valve was not in great condition but works. The exhaust had no silencer just a straight pipe and was a bit loud.
I did a bench run of the engine and it runs just fine.
I then decided to fit a new needle valve but could not find one so I bought one for a later 120.
I did not want the needle valve to stick through the top of the fuselage and wanted a remote needle valve but had no luck with that either. I then decided to make my own the only problem was finding a fuel fitting for the carb (5mm x 0.5mm pitch) so made my own parts on my mini lathe.
I have again run the engine with my remote needle valve and it works just great. I also then made a velocity stack and removed the choke at the same time and on the bench run got 9330rpm on an APC 15 x 8. I have subsequently also made my own silencer but have not test run with it yet. Silencer was also an issue with the thread size or 14 mm x 1mm pitch so had to cut my own. I will post some pictures of the work I did. Any questions welcome.
Fly safe
Charlie.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply