Jun 25, 2017, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Do all LiPo batts swell up, or..................

....................just the ones charged /discharged/stored improperly? THX
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2017, 09:56 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Not a simple matter ....

Swelling is usually due to high discharge rate heating the cells up ... they gas and swell. Contrary to some peoples views - once gas is produced - it does not recombine into the cell again - its done and dusted. Yes we see puffed lipo's go back down and we use again ... but the life is shortened and they puff easier.

Occasionally you can get a lipo swell under other circumstances but relatively rare.

Nigel
Jun 26, 2017, 02:02 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Well...If you don't charge them much, or discharge much they may not ever puff. But I the average "gently used" in the hobby is rougher than that. So it's more like "Will it puff this year, or in 4 years?"
Jun 26, 2017, 10:31 AM
I've had several tiny gumstick LiPos puff up, I think normal use is running those within an inch of their life though. I've only ever had one larger LiPo puff and that was after I accidentally charged it on the setting for another battery which was something like 6C for that one.
Jun 26, 2017, 11:55 AM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
I have had 2 packs puff after being connected to an ESC overnight, etc. The puff goes away and I use the pack, altho not as good as it was.

So that is a very slow discharge down to nearly zero volts.

Quick Reply