Jul 14, 2017, 11:24 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Hi Jim,

Regarding the tip strength, I agree that could be an issue. I think I'll try it first on my smaller BluFO (I think the original post referenced the smaller model).

Rob
The smaller one will probably stand fine due to also being 9mm EPP but less "unsupported" area. The problem I see with all this (as far as landing) is the lack of rudders for the hovering unless you are really good at roll/elevator.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2017, 11:27 AM
Hi.
Has anyone tried adding rudders and small servos to this design?
Sam2000
Jul 14, 2017, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
The smaller one will probably stand fine due to also being 9mm EPP but less "unsupported" area. The problem I see with all this (as far as landing) is the lack of rudders for the hovering unless you are really good at roll/elevator.
I had a HL Pogo a number of years ago - after that I doubt I'll try a vertical landing again any time soon (although an AS3X receiver might help but that's cheating ). But the vertical takeoff is a different matter (I hope) - lots of throttle and be sure to push the right stick upwards to point the plane away from you as it takes off

Regarding rudders - look for my PM...

Rob
Jul 14, 2017, 12:12 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2000pres
Hi.
Has anyone tried adding rudders and small servos to this design?
Sam2000
The HBluO variant of the design (http://www.racores.com/images/H-Blu-O.jpg) has a large center rudder but it's really not very effective in the air. Mostly it's for maneuvering on the water. There is a lot of vertical surface that works against you. As I replied to Rob backchannel, I think a vectoring motor mount would be more effective. Probably only need 10 degrees side to side
Jul 15, 2017, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the response ..
Just purchased the XL a couple of days ago and couldn't help but notice that at low speeds some rudders might really help .
We added rudders to a twisted Hobbies raptor and a hobby king Mig 29 foam flattie with great results .... vectoring thrust would also be fun...
Looking forward to the arrival....
Sam2000
Jul 15, 2017, 08:09 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2000pres
Thanks for the response ..
Just purchased the XL a couple of days ago and couldn't help but notice that at low speeds some rudders might really help .
We added rudders to a twisted Hobbies raptor and a hobby king Mig 29 foam flattie with great results .... vectoring thrust would also be fun...
Looking forward to the arrival....
Sam2000
If you do, please post your results and video would be greatly appreciated
Jul 22, 2017, 03:49 AM
Ordered one two days ago can't wait to get started building
Jul 22, 2017, 01:26 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc
You will love it!
Jul 26, 2017, 07:48 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Soon you won't have to wait. Glad we got the tracking number typo sorted out
Jul 27, 2017, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Soon you won't have to wait. Glad we got the tracking number typo sorted out
Thank you for your quick response and great customer services
Jul 28, 2017, 08:20 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Thank you for your quick response and great customer services
I try to give the same type of service I would want to receive. Thank you for your order. is it built yet??
Jul 30, 2017, 09:17 PM
Quote:
I try to give the same type of service I would want to receive. Thank you for your order. is it built yet??
no had to some work on my house, But this week end I am looking forward to spending some quality with just me and my BluFo XL. hopefully my wife won't complain to much sense I spent last weekend catching up on some much needed things that needed fixing around the house
Jul 31, 2017, 05:58 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
no had to some work on my house, But this week end I am looking forward to spending some quality with just me and my BluFo XL. hopefully my wife won't complain to much sense I spent last weekend catching up on some much needed things that needed fixing around the house
Good luck. It's an easy and reasonably quick build. Email me if you have any questions. We are investigating the possibility of adding a piece of CF along the trailing edge of the elevons as I think the outer corners are getting pressed flat at higher speeds making them less effective. This appears when full power loops get made into figure 9's on the backside. Reducing throttle on the downline seems to fix it also
Jul 31, 2017, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Good luck. It's an easy and reasonably quick build. Email me if you have any questions. We are investigating the possibility of adding a piece of CF along the trailing edge of the elevons as I think the outer corners are getting pressed flat at higher speeds making them less effective. This appears when full power loops get made into figure 9's on the backside. Reducing throttle on the downline seems to fix it also
Adding LED strip lights to the edge of the elevons (about 1/4" recessed from the trailing edge) also has the nice benefit of stiffening them up too. It's a nice side-effect of building the BluFO as a night flyer

Rob
Jul 31, 2017, 08:50 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Especially if it's two strips back to back knowing you

Quick Reply