Thread Tools
Jul 14, 2017, 11:24 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Hi Jim,

Regarding the tip strength, I agree that could be an issue. I think I'll try it first on my smaller BluFO (I think the original post referenced the smaller model).

Rob
The smaller one will probably stand fine due to also being 9mm EPP but less "unsupported" area. The problem I see with all this (as far as landing) is the lack of rudders for the hovering unless you are really good at roll/elevator.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2017, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Hi.
Has anyone tried adding rudders and small servos to this design?
Sam2000
Jul 14, 2017, 11:42 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
The smaller one will probably stand fine due to also being 9mm EPP but less "unsupported" area. The problem I see with all this (as far as landing) is the lack of rudders for the hovering unless you are really good at roll/elevator.
I had a HL Pogo a number of years ago - after that I doubt I'll try a vertical landing again any time soon (although an AS3X receiver might help but that's cheating ). But the vertical takeoff is a different matter (I hope) - lots of throttle and be sure to push the right stick upwards to point the plane away from you as it takes off

Regarding rudders - look for my PM...

Rob
Jul 14, 2017, 12:12 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2000pres
Hi.
Has anyone tried adding rudders and small servos to this design?
Sam2000
The HBluO variant of the design (http://www.racores.com/images/H-Blu-O.jpg) has a large center rudder but it's really not very effective in the air. Mostly it's for maneuvering on the water. There is a lot of vertical surface that works against you. As I replied to Rob backchannel, I think a vectoring motor mount would be more effective. Probably only need 10 degrees side to side
Jul 15, 2017, 07:11 PM
Registered User
Thanks for the response ..
Just purchased the XL a couple of days ago and couldn't help but notice that at low speeds some rudders might really help .
We added rudders to a twisted Hobbies raptor and a hobby king Mig 29 foam flattie with great results .... vectoring thrust would also be fun...
Looking forward to the arrival....
Sam2000
Jul 15, 2017, 08:09 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2000pres
Thanks for the response ..
Just purchased the XL a couple of days ago and couldn't help but notice that at low speeds some rudders might really help .
We added rudders to a twisted Hobbies raptor and a hobby king Mig 29 foam flattie with great results .... vectoring thrust would also be fun...
Looking forward to the arrival....
Sam2000
If you do, please post your results and video would be greatly appreciated
Jul 22, 2017, 03:49 AM
Registered User
wileyrc's Avatar
Ordered one two days ago can't wait to get started building
Jul 22, 2017, 01:26 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
IFLYOS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc
Ordered one two days ago can't wait to get started building
You will love it!
Jul 26, 2017, 07:48 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc
Ordered one two days ago can't wait to get started building
Soon you won't have to wait. Glad we got the tracking number typo sorted out
Jul 27, 2017, 11:02 PM
Registered User
wileyrc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Soon you won't have to wait. Glad we got the tracking number typo sorted out
Thank you for your quick response and great customer services
Jul 28, 2017, 08:20 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc
Thank you for your quick response and great customer services
I try to give the same type of service I would want to receive. Thank you for your order. is it built yet??
Jul 30, 2017, 09:17 PM
Registered User
wileyrc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
I try to give the same type of service I would want to receive. Thank you for your order. is it built yet??
no had to some work on my house, But this week end I am looking forward to spending some quality with just me and my BluFo XL. hopefully my wife won't complain to much sense I spent last weekend catching up on some much needed things that needed fixing around the house
Jul 31, 2017, 05:58 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc
no had to some work on my house, But this week end I am looking forward to spending some quality with just me and my BluFo XL. hopefully my wife won't complain to much sense I spent last weekend catching up on some much needed things that needed fixing around the house
Good luck. It's an easy and reasonably quick build. Email me if you have any questions. We are investigating the possibility of adding a piece of CF along the trailing edge of the elevons as I think the outer corners are getting pressed flat at higher speeds making them less effective. This appears when full power loops get made into figure 9's on the backside. Reducing throttle on the downline seems to fix it also
Jul 31, 2017, 06:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Good luck. It's an easy and reasonably quick build. Email me if you have any questions. We are investigating the possibility of adding a piece of CF along the trailing edge of the elevons as I think the outer corners are getting pressed flat at higher speeds making them less effective. This appears when full power loops get made into figure 9's on the backside. Reducing throttle on the downline seems to fix it also
Adding LED strip lights to the edge of the elevons (about 1/4" recessed from the trailing edge) also has the nice benefit of stiffening them up too. It's a nice side-effect of building the BluFO as a night flyer

Rob
Jul 31, 2017, 08:50 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
BrownEyedFool's Avatar
Especially if it's two strips back to back knowing you


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log BluFO Parkflyer Build Log MetroGTi Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 575 Jul 25, 2018 08:06 AM
Article FPV/ROG BluFo at SEFF Jason Cole Foamies (Kits) 0 Apr 27, 2017 02:02 PM
Review The RA Cores BluFO Review Jim T. Graham FPV Aircraft 4 Jun 27, 2016 12:29 PM
Yippee! JasonJetskis BLUFO! THE sub micro bl quad thread!! microkites Coaxial Helicopters 66 Dec 29, 2009 06:53 AM