Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 06, 2017, 03:36 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
I think odds are pretty good there will be BluFO XLs in the air at NEAT.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2017, 05:57 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebuck
Hi Jim and Tim,

Wow, you hit this one out of the park with the BluFO XL! What an impressive bird she is! Congratulations on a great flying design! We'll hopefully see you at the NEAT Fair!

Take Care,

Renee' and Ron
Looking forward to seeing you two again at NEAT this year and you will certainly see several XLs flying
Jul 06, 2017, 05:58 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
I think odds are pretty good there will be BluFO XLs in the air at NEAT.
day AND night
Jul 07, 2017, 01:05 AM
Oh my god I want one, what type of paint is recommended to paint this bird
Jul 07, 2017, 01:06 AM
I want one, what kind of paint do you recommend to paint this bird
Jul 07, 2017, 07:42 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc
I want one, what kind of paint do you recommend to paint this bird
It's EPP. You can literally use anything to paint it. You can buy cheap rattle can stuff or you can use createx with an airbrush. Nothing eats the foam
Jul 07, 2017, 07:50 AM
Cool I will be ordering me one later on today
Jul 07, 2017, 10:44 AM
J. Titors gr8 grandson...
Am I the only one reminded of this ?
https://goo.gl/images/Zzuvka
Jul 11, 2017, 10:23 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun
Am I the only one reminded of this ?
https://goo.gl/images/Zzuvka
How did you get a picture of our manufacturing facilities?
Jul 11, 2017, 10:28 AM
Kit Manufacturer
A low pass along the flightline at the North Country Flying Tigers Charity Fun-Fly 7/9/17 by Alan "FastAlJr" Mostek under the supervision of Steve "SAWatt" Wattenberg
Jul 13, 2017, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N
You can do VTO takeoffs with the BluFO if you add material to the trailing edges of the tip fins so that the trailing edges are perpendicular to the wing. That will allow the BluFO to sit vertically on its tip fins and do VTO takeoffs. If you are a really good pilot, you can do vertical landings like the SpaceX Falcon 9.
First off, nice review

Secondly, VTOL eh??? Interesting. I don't know that I have the thumbs for the vertical landing part but vertical takeoff sounds like a blast (pun intended). I think I'm going to take the bait and set up mine to try this. I think Jim would get a kick out of seeing a lineup of his XLs doing a vertical takeoff at NEAT.

Jim, let me see if can't design and print something up that can be added to the existing outer fins to allow the XL to stand on its own

Rob
Jul 13, 2017, 08:13 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
First off, nice review

Secondly, VTOL eh??? Interesting. I don't know that I have the thumbs for the vertical landing part but vertical takeoff sounds like a blast (pun intended). I think I'm going to take the bait and set up mine to try this. I think Jim would get a kick out of seeing a lineup of his XLs doing a vertical takeoff at NEAT.

Jim, let me see if can't design and print something up that can be added to the existing outer fins to allow the XL to stand on its own

Rob
It certainly would be cool. Video or it never happened! It should be easy enough to make a little peg leg to attach to the short corner of the Tiplets. How is the lighting design coming?
Jul 13, 2017, 11:20 PM
Hey Jim,

I think I've got the lighting all figured out - the last piece popped into my head today I think I can now start putting things together - i just need to order some parts now.

Regarding the VTOL mod I was thinking of making a shell that fits over the corner of the the top and bottom of the outer fins to distribute the load. Very thin wall to keep the weight to a minimum. Plus I need to remember to make the bottom one a little shorter so that it's leaning away from me on liftoff

Rob
Jul 14, 2017, 06:25 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Hey Jim,

I think I've got the lighting all figured out - the last piece popped into my head today I think I can now start putting things together - i just need to order some parts now.

Regarding the VTOL mod I was thinking of making a shell that fits over the corner of the the top and bottom of the outer fins to distribute the load. Very thin wall to keep the weight to a minimum. Plus I need to remember to make the bottom one a little shorter so that it's leaning away from me on liftoff

Rob
Great news on the lighting stuff. NEAT is coming quick.

My concern with using the tiplets is they aren't that secure to the main deck or tied into the CF strips and I expect some wiggle, especially if you lean the plane much. That's a lot of weight on a 9mm EPP only joint/structure so it's going to sag/flex
Jul 14, 2017, 09:11 AM
Hi Jim,

Regarding the tip strength, I agree that could be an issue. I think I'll try it first on my smaller BluFO (I think the original post referenced the smaller model).

Rob

Quick Reply