DJI Dashboard - Modding tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jun 26, 2017, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
Good post. Maybe someone can help me out here. I have never owned a DJI product, other than purchasing the Self-Tight props for my home builds. (excellent props btw)

Can anyone explain the "group think"...almost Cult following to DJI products? Just a guess, but is it due to the fact that DJI products are pricey, and that by buying one, you are now in the "club" and whatever DJI wants to do is fine with you? I am serious about this question. I am baffled at the uproar over someone wanting to mod their copter, in this case, being a software mod...and the vicious replies I have seen??
So many people are concerned with what you do with your own stuff. Do they not realize that home builds can fly without any restrictions what so ever? Higher, faster and further than any DJI product ever could?? I seriously don't get it. This is a general question...not directing it to anyone in particular.
My take on it: 90% of the DJI owners are like any other hobbyist. 10% are the usual kind of zealots you see in every forum (iOS Vs Android, Windows Vs Mac, etc). DJI has the majority of the drone market (orders of magnitude more than any other manufacturer, probably more DJI drones than all the hobby drones currently flying) so even that 10% of zealots can create quite a lot of noise and what you perceive as a cult

As for the DIY: people building their drones tend to be much more knowledgeable than the average DJI buyer (look at people like Casey Neistat, flying dangerously and would never be able to build his own drone). Frankly, I'm much more terrified of the average DJI owner than the average hobbyist. Most of the latter invested enough time to know where the risks are and self-limit themselves. Some DJI owners take their drone out of a box and fly without even reading the manual, let alone learn about drones (some, not the majority, mind you... but even "some" are a lot). I'd be scared of many of them unlocking their drones and fly in real NFZ zones and in dangerous ways. I have no problems with a knowledgeable person who needs to work around some of those restrictions, on the other hand

Hence there is a tendency (e.g. in my case, DYI builder since 2012) to let DJI owners know risks and limitations, including encouraging them to learn to fly in ATTI mode, and not always rely on GPS assisted "flying" (in quotes, since that's not flying)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2017, 08:02 PM
Must Stop Buying More Stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca

Hence there is a tendency (e.g. in my case, DYI builder since 2012) to let DJI owners know risks and limitations, including encouraging them to learn to fly in ATTI mode, and not always rely on GPS assisted "flying" (in quotes, since that's not flying)
I like to call it "steering". LOL!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 09:09 PM
Costanza (skyhighaerials)
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Profanity).
Jun 26, 2017, 10:12 PM
FPV Browncoat
I installed the altitude and sport+ mode hacks on my Mavic last week and am loving it so far. It's awesome having the freedom to finally be able to fly up mountains and actually reach the top without DJI's nanny software stopping me half way up. So glad this came out right before my trip to Norway next week, since this will be great for climbing to the tops of fjords.

One thing everyone should be aware of is an issue we've been discussing over in the Facebook group, where under the right circumstances, the critical battery forced auto-landing can engage at relatively high battery levels, when you are very high up.

Basically the flight controller is constantly calculating power reserves necessary (a) to get back to the launch point, and (b) to land safely on the ground. For (a), there is a setting you can turn off for smart return to home that will automatically engage RTH before it reaches the point of no return. If you're using this mod, you absolutely want to turn off the Smart RTH setting in the battery settings menu.

But there is another failsafe you can't turn off, which is (b). If the Mavic reaches an altitude and battery level where it thinks it won't have enough power to get back to the ground at the normal descent rate, it engages auto land and starts to descend. You can pause the descent with up throttle and move laterally, but cannot cancel it. Normally this would only ever kick in at very low battery levels, but because of no height limit and faster ascent rates, we can reach this point much earlier in the flight just by going super high.

It's just one of those unforeseen side effects of modding one part of the software to work outside its design specs without accounting for all other areas of the code that could be affected. But at least this one seems to be easily mitigated by using the DJI Go app and closely watching the power bar in the app while flying high.

There's some evidence to suggest that if you're using Litchi, its power bar isn't as accurate and might not give you sufficient warning that the critical battery descent feature is about to engage. No one has yet experienced this using the DJI Go4 app that I know of, or if they have, it was because they ignored the warnings and weren't paying attention to the state of the power bar.
Jun 26, 2017, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costanza
My oh my....
WOW!

This is the same guy that was being defended in this thread, even though no one even mentioned his name?
Anyone? Holy Smokes Batman!! I guess all is not what it seems in DJI land....
Jun 26, 2017, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator
I installed the altitude and sport+ mode hacks on my Mavic last week and am loving it so far. It's awesome having the freedom to finally be able to fly up mountains and actually reach the top without DJI's nanny software stopping me half way up. So glad this came out right before my trip to Norway next week, since this will be great for climbing to the tops of fjords.

One thing everyone should be aware of is an issue we've been discussing over in the Facebook group, where under the right circumstances, the critical battery forced auto-landing can engage at relatively high battery levels, when you are very high up.

Basically the flight controller is constantly calculating power reserves necessary (a) to get back to the launch point, and (b) to land safely on the ground. For (a), there is a setting you can turn off for smart return to home that will automatically engage RTH before it reaches the point of no return. If you're using this mod, you absolutely want to turn off the Smart RTH setting in the battery settings menu.

But there is another failsafe you can't turn off, which is (b). If the Mavic reaches an altitude and battery level where it thinks it won't have enough power to get back to the ground at the normal descent rate, it engages auto land and starts to descend. You can pause the descent with up throttle and move laterally, but cannot cancel it. Normally this would only ever kick in at very low battery levels, but because of no height limit and faster ascent rates, we can reach this point much earlier in the flight just by going super high.

It's just one of those unforeseen side effects of modding one part of the software to work outside its design specs without accounting for all other areas of the code that could be affected. But at least this one seems to be easily mitigated by using the DJI Go app and closely watching the power bar in the app while flying high.

There's some evidence to suggest that if you're using Litchi, its power bar isn't as accurate and might not give you sufficient warning that the critical battery descent feature is about to engage. No one has yet experienced this using the DJI Go4 app that I know of, or if they have, it was because they ignored the warnings and weren't paying attention to the state of the power bar.
Thank you for posting this...I was reading up on it today. This is a concern, but for me - not so much, since I don't plan on going to the heights that this is happening to people. Hopefully there is a fix for this!! This is another reason for this thread...let people know what works and what doesn't and their individual experiences. This way anyone can be better informed if this is something for them or not.
Jun 27, 2017, 02:19 AM
Not sure if anyone from CopterSafe reads this, would it be possible to mode the CE restrictions to get the same output power as FCC?
Jun 27, 2017, 03:25 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensdekippen
Not sure if anyone from CopterSafe reads this, would it be possible to mode the CE restrictions to get the same output power as FCC?
I don't think CopterSafe does this, but changing transmitter gain is one of the known hacks that are possible to do at the moment.
Jun 27, 2017, 03:27 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costanza
My oh my....
Judging from this and how DJI is behaving on this topic in general, I think someone is running scared.
Last edited by jab; Jun 27, 2017 at 03:34 AM.
Jun 27, 2017, 04:04 AM
I Should Have Known It

CopterSafe tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD

Ok I'm gong to say this once to everyone here and you NEED to listen.

If you continue with the personal attacks against me, Blade and others this thread will end up getting shut down I suspect, let me be clear I have no influence in this but RCG is not a place that has allowed this to continue in the passed and I will report people if this crap continues my self.

Blade has not posted in here so there is zero reason to post what has been posted.

Discuss the mod, and what ever you want but leave the personal attacks out of it, It's entirely your choice where this goes, you need to get on with what you wanted to talk about and stop the attacks now or this thread will end up like many before it where this stuff has happened and that was locked.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Jun 27, 2017 at 07:49 AM.
Jun 27, 2017, 08:36 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Wow! A lot of good info coming out in here! FYI it seems FW 900 is supported now for certain features just not the NFZ yet. That will be awesome for those that want the full feature set for the Goggles etc.

Hmmm, complete images for the Mavic? That is interesting.
Hoping they can do something about the NFZ issues also...

The way DJI modified NFZ to circles instead of the reflecting the actual NFZ published by the FAA seems to be causing all kinds of problems.

Would definitely be annoyed if the difference in the NFZ's made me repeatedly go through the authentication procedure and/or kept me from taking off when in fact I wasn't in an actual NFZ.
Jun 27, 2017, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Yep, they are still talking about cake! Funny that the "righteous" still have yet to complain about getting back on topic and stop cluttering the thread. LOL

I do think it is interesting that there seems to be more involvement from the managers in that thread now. Certainly seems like this topic has been "noticed".
If I were the managers I'd stay out of it... allows plausible deniability should someone say the wrong thing
Jun 27, 2017, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings6
Maybe it wasn't the right kind of cake?
Man.... I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!!!!!

You're not going to believe this but the "Lets make America great again" theme applied to the CopterSafe Mods
was percolating in the back of mind also.

Your just quicker and more clever about displaying it.... using the Official Mavic threads "cake" discussion is absolutely brilliant.
Jun 27, 2017, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
I developed embedded software... your analogy is pointless, sorry. DJI owns all endpoints, and they can make CopterSafe life very hard, if they decide to do so. Then again, they might decide not to

One thing is to break relatively open systems where the developer doesn't own all end points (say, DRM on a PC, very, very hard to do without proper hardware and OS support). Another is to break an undocumented system where the developer (DJI in this case) owns all end points, finding flaws to exploit.

Video games are a better (albeit not perfect) analogy: video game machines are semi-open systems (fully documented, third party developer kits) with some level of protection. There are also very big bucks to be made in pirating videogames, so work around have been found. Sony and Microsoft plug holes, and new work around are found (so far, not for the Xbox One). Point is, there are teams of very motivated hackers doing it, since the reward is huge

Breaking into someone else's code is hard and takes time and resources. I doubt that the market for a $450 hack that adds limited functionality (for most users) is big enough to justify huge time commitment. If DJI decided to make it hard, how long before the developers of CopterSafe just give up and keep the money they made so far? Each business look at a return on investment basis: if you already made enough money and it takes too much to make more, you move on

I really have no problems with CopterSafe or the people buying the unlock. As long as people understand what they are getting and the risks, that is
Can't argue with much of what you say but I just have more confidence in the creativity of those thinking outside the box than you do.

I also have more confidence in people making a wise choice about CopterSafe Mods then many of the naysayers do.
Jun 27, 2017, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennGoodlett
There are few guarantees in life, but, I like cake over here too.
Guess this can't stay a cake free zone anymore. .

Quick Reply