DJI Dashboard - Modding tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jun 26, 2017, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
Great points....I figure that it took CopterSafe a lot of work to figure this all out. I don't think that DJI's code changed that drastically in the past year that they left big holes in it that they stumbled upon, but I don't know much about coding and breaking code. Heck...I have no idea how this "patch" or "mod" operates anyway. I have heard two theories, and I would like to hear your take on it:
It's just a "simple" change to a param file they were able to access or (simple is relative...once they gained access)
they installed a "firewall" type program that blocks certain information from getting to the control software, like the NFZ info. Total guess.

People are taking steps to make VM snapshots of current firmware to prevent DJI from pulling older firmware that is supported and patching it so the "mod" won't work and you will still be able to upgrade/downgrade. This is a good news. I fully expect DJI to fix whatever it is that allows this "mod" to work, unless it would take too much resources. They may not even care, since it is only fully working now on .400 and .700, and they are working on .900, but that is not supposed to be able to nullify the NFZ block. There is a facebook page that I can find out what the latest scoops are. I will post any info here.
Full disclosure: I know nothing of how the DJI code works, but the most likely way to patch someone's code in cases like these is to find the routine used to check for NFZ (or other limitations) and binary patch it so that the routine is bypassed. Other possibilities are preventing access to reading critical information.

In both cases, DJI's fix is trivial: change that portion of the code and obfuscate around it, so that there's no easy way around anymore. See, the problem is that once CopterSafe has a solution, it's trivial for DJI to understand how they did what they did, and forever prevent that and anything similar. On the other hand, once DJI makes those changes, CopterSafe has to start completely from 0 again. This is totally asymmetric

As for DJI, they also could in theory force an upgrade of the DJI GO App (by preventing older versions from accessing their servers and de facto disabling enough features), and force you to upgrade to the new app. Once you do that, the new app prevent working with any drone that does not have the latest firmware. They could even modify the battery firmware so that it only works with new firmware on the drone: as soon as you buy a new battery, you discover you must upgrade. Sooner or later your batteries will age, and your drone won't fly. So saving old versions of the code won't help you, since they can disable older versions anyway

Would DJI bother? probably not if just a few people do it. But there is no reason (technically) why they couldn't. And neither CopterSafe nor the user can do anything if DJI decides to go "nuclear" (the downside for DJI would be that a forced update would bother a lot of people and cause needless support calls... they don't want to do it, but once again if things get bad enough, they could; they would also need to change the SDK and ask third parties to update their app, but their license allows them to)

The most likely scenario is that someone will find a way to hack around the CopterSafe protection and remove any reason for CopterSafe to support this (since users will be able to patch without paying CopterSafe). I'm sure that the CopterSafe people are smart, but there is simply no way to protect what hey do if one of their users decides to attack their protection (since a paying user has all the data necessary to reverse engineer their protection). Unlike DJI, CopterSafe can't protect themselves beyond a certain point. That's quite ironic, when you think about it It's entirely possible that soon you will see "free versions" of the CopterSafe patch (or other developers offering the same for half price, then half of half, etc)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2017, 03:44 PM
Must Stop Buying More Stuff

CopterSafe update

06/26/17
CopterSafe
1 day ago

900 and 800 Mavic firmware versions are now supported. NFZ option is available only in 400 and 700

Good news for those who want the performance increase of Sport+ and height restriction removal, and newer DJI firmware.
Jun 26, 2017, 03:46 PM
Quote:
I think my favorite part of the video is when he says: "..The DJI....Mavic... is now ours, not theirs. It belongs to US."
It was a great opportunity to follow up that statement with proof that he could exercise personal responsibility you mention, and didn't need his 'nanny', instead of which he chose to provide concrete support for the opposite view...

I do hope that the majority of people who pay for the mod will do so for 'legitimate' reasons, as the most certain way to ensure tighter legislation as a knee-jerk reaction, is for someone with only sufficient skills to wield a credit card and follow instructions, to do something really dumb with tragic consequences.

I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said - "...With freedom comes responsibility...."

Let's enjoy the freedom, but as you suggest, not forget the responsibility.
Jun 26, 2017, 04:07 PM
The fact is Coptersafe makes mods for a lot of different drones. Some of their mods are hardware and some are software. Their mods are not for everyone and there are risks using their mods.

After spending several weeks emailing back-and-forth with DJI customer support and getting no resolution to why I could not fly in a DJI green enhanced warning area.I purchased my first Coptersafe mod for P3P, it was a NFZ mod board. DJI customer service was worthless, all they could say was update your firmware uninstall and reinstall the DJI go app, over and over.

I purchased Coptersafe NFZ mod for my Mavic the first week in May when it came out and just upgraded to their mountain package last week after reading about it in a thread on MavicPilots that was quickly deleted by the administrator.

l'm a member of most of the drone forums but I rarely post. I noticed every time someone post about modifications someone from the DP steps and to tell them why they shouldn't do something. Which seems so strange to me as a car enthusiast. On the car enthusiasts forms modifications are encouraged and members are always willing to give you support to make your car how you like it even if it is not with in their taste. I find that a lot of the drone threads I read are filled with more opinions that are not actual factual information. The threads usually head off topic like this one has gone.
Jun 26, 2017, 04:19 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
The prices are insane. I realize that it takes a lot of time to find exploits in order to be able to patch the Mavic like this but $200 for atti mode and $450 for all of it? That's a no-buy right there for me. For what looks like an automated software process (besides work on new versions) they would be better off making it $50 to $100. for all of it.

Sorry but others concerns about future updates, etc are right. I'm not taking that big of a risk on something like this.
Jun 26, 2017, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rford71
The fact is Coptersafe makes mods for a lot of different drones. Some of their mods are hardware and some are software. Their mods are not for everyone and there are risks using their mods.

After spending several weeks emailing back-and-forth with DJI customer support and getting no resolution to why I could not fly in a DJI green enhanced warning area.I purchased my first Coptersafe mod for P3P, it was a NFZ mod board. DJI customer service was worthless, all they could say was update your firmware uninstall and reinstall the DJI go app, over and over.

I purchased Coptersafe NFZ mod for my Mavic the first week in May when it came out and just upgraded to their mountain package last week after reading about it in a thread on MavicPilots that was quickly deleted by the administrator.

l'm a member of most of the drone forums but I rarely post. I noticed every time someone post about modifications someone from the DP steps and to tell them why they shouldn't do something. Which seems so strange to me as a car enthusiast. On the car enthusiasts forms modifications are encouraged and members are always willing to give you support to make your car how you like it even if it is not with in their taste. I find that a lot of the drone threads I read are filled with more opinions that are not actual factual information. The threads usually head off topic like this one has gone.
Thanks for posting. I was involved in that MavicPilots thread. The thread was deleted, so I started another one: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/i-lov...not-dji.20017/
I wanted to talk about "fightclub" but not mention it and gave a review of the new propellers I just got, and how I had some trouble fitting them on the Mavic. Boy those propellers sure make the Mavic fast! I got banned and post deleted. (not once did I mention Fightclub/CopterSafe) DJI influence perhaps? Not sure. I have emailed MavicPilots to see why I was banned...someone is looking into it.
Jun 26, 2017, 04:29 PM

Facebook group

I hate Facebook, but have an account anyway. They are trying to organize a group buy with discount.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566533860031810/

Check them out.

There is a CopterSafe page too.

https://www.facebook.com/CopterSafe/
Last edited by Quad808; Jun 26, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
... For what looks like an automated software process (besides work on new versions) ...
It's the bit in brackets that you are paying for, not the automated install process.

I am surprised they haven't offered a subscription option though, the work will be ongoing and a subscription would better fit their needs if they are in this for the long-haul...
Jun 26, 2017, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27
Good for you ... it's obvious what going on.

Proponents of DJI want to crush this thread and they'll go after anyone that disagrees with them.

P.S. Keep allowing dissenting opinions and your thread will do fine.... stifle them and whats happening on the Official Mavic thread will happen here also.
I honestly don't think that anyone, including Blade or Mad, are trying to squash this thread. I just think that they're trying their best to make sure that users understand the potential risk of hacking code that could possibly do more harm than good in some cases. Nobody (including DJI) wants people to regret purchasing a Mavic, Phantom or even Spark for that matter; they're (DJI) walking a fine line with these restrictions and hopefully they'll get it right. I have no doubt that the moderators are advocating for the user base; otherwise ultimately they'll seek alternative solutions or products... and I can't see how that serves anyone's best interest. At this point I'm on the fence about how to move forward but have "frozen" my iPhone and iPad literally days before this new database thing started, so now those two devices are no longer connected to the internet and I've had to replace them. Wasn't thrilled about that in the least, but I'd have been furious if my Phantom and Mavic were grounded and essentially useless. I hope that there's a "factory initiated" solution forthcoming and all this controversy goes away.... and my bet is that the moderators here hope that happens too; I have no doubt that they hate these issues every bit as much as we do. Just my $.02.
Jun 26, 2017, 05:20 PM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Thanks for posting. I was involved in that MavicPilots thread. The thread was deleted, so I started another one: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/i-lov...not-dji.20017/
I wanted to talk about "fightclub" but not mention it and gave a review of the new propellers I just got, and how I had some trouble fitting them on the Mavic. Boy those propellers sure make the Mavic fast! I got banned and post deleted. (not once did I mention Fightclub/CopterSafe) DJI influence perhaps? Not sure. I have emailed MavicPilots to see why I was banned...someone is looking into it.
I pretty much gave up on MP and PP.

Can you imagine having a rule that you can't post and share your videos? Yep, that's in the guidelines.

I don't post there much, but I posted Spark vids I made before Spark was released - I mean, what type of content could be more valid? Next thing you know, posts disappear and a mod starts following me. I never hide who I am.

Maybe that's why those forums are famous for spreading so much BS. For example, according to them, Yuneec sells MILLIONS of H's and also doesn't make their $$$ in R/C but in manned aircraft. That's just the beginning....they have been known to create havoc all over the net with untruths - some of them agreed to or even posted by moderators.

I mean - no one is perfect, but at the same time when you want people (like myself, Mad, etc.) to post educational videos and other stuff, you have to accept a video or a link or two.
Jun 26, 2017, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimpr
I honestly don't think that anyone, including Blade or Mad, are trying to squash this thread. I just think that they're trying their best to make sure that users understand the potential risk of hacking code that could possibly do more harm than good in some cases. Nobody (including DJI) wants people to regret purchasing a Mavic, Phantom or even Spark for that matter; they're (DJI) walking a fine line with these restrictions and hopefully they'll get it right. I have no doubt that the moderators are advocating for the user base; otherwise ultimately they'll seek alternative solutions or products... and I can't see how that serves anyone's best interest. At this point I'm on the fence about how to move forward but have "frozen" my iPhone and iPad literally days before this new database thing started, so now those two devices are no longer connected to the internet and I've had to replace them. Wasn't thrilled about that in the least, but I'd have been furious if my Phantom and Mavic were grounded and essentially useless. I hope that there's a "factory initiated" solution forthcoming and all this controversy goes away.... and my bet is that the moderators here hope that happens too; I have no doubt that they hate these issues every bit as much as we do. Just my $.02.
Good post. Maybe someone can help me out here. I have never owned a DJI product, other than purchasing the Self-Tight props for my home builds. (excellent props btw)

Can anyone explain the "group think"...almost Cult following to DJI products? Just a guess, but is it due to the fact that DJI products are pricey, and that by buying one, you are now in the "club" and whatever DJI wants to do is fine with you? I am serious about this question. I am baffled at the uproar over someone wanting to mod their copter, in this case, being a software mod...and the vicious replies I have seen??
So many people are concerned with what you do with your own stuff. Do they not realize that home builds can fly without any restrictions what so ever? Higher, faster and further than any DJI product ever could?? I seriously don't get it. This is a general question...not directing it to anyone in particular.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 05:34 PM
Costanza (skyhighaerials)
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior).
Jun 26, 2017, 06:13 PM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Some interesting hints of progress to be found out there. Nothing concrete yet, but enticing for sure. Dumps of all known Mavic firmwares are also out in the wild, which is a great start.
Jun 26, 2017, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costanza
If DJI cared about people's regret in buying a Mavic/Phantom/etc then they would do basic quality control before releasing garbage firmware. The whole fiasco with the latest P4Pro firmware is still ongoing (no more Smart RTH toggle/ really bad live video feed with latest firmware). DJI does little to no quality assurance before releasing crap onto the market in the shape of more restrictive firmware that actually limits what you already purchased.

If DJI cared about you regretting a purchase they would actually communicate with its users. Have you ever had the hilarious experience of ever talking to their US "support" telephone reps? They are bottom-of-the-barrel folks that know nothing about their own company's products.

Imagine if you bought a Honda, and a patch was applied that maxed out its speed at 80mph because Honda said that there was "no reason" you need to go faster than that. Your purchase now has reduced capability.

The issue is that DJI has pretty bad developers and they pay their staff next to nothing so they get second string players who aren't up to par.

DJI is a VERY short sighted company. Customers aren't loyal to the brand. They are loyal to light bridge and the Phantom/Mavic. If any other company came out with something competitive, the customer base would cave from DJI - which is DJI's own doing for not thinking strategically. And history shows us that this happens given enough time - Xerox, Blackberry, etc, etc.

There is a pervasive arrogance in some of the fan boi shills, and even in the way that some of their own moderators handle themselves.
Perhaps you misunderstood that my post was not in defense of this round of database limitations; it was merely intended to point out that even the moderators/DJI reps here don't deserve to be slammed as though they're responsible for initiating them. I had very much wanted to get a P4Pro because I'd absolutely LOVE to have that 1" sensor. But the new "policy" made me back off and make an impulse purchase of a Spark instead. If you think I was happy about buying another iPhone and iPad simply to preserve that iteration of the Go4 app you're sadly mistaken. For now the facts are what they are, and I DO understand why people are willing to take the risk in order to make their equipment less uncooperative. I'm just not there.... (yet).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 07:12 PM
Costanza (skyhighaerials)
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior).

Quick Reply