DJI Dashboard - Modding tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jun 25, 2017, 04:13 PM
Must Stop Buying More Stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin
It isn't any different, and perhaps it might surprise you just how many of us have indulged in hacking, cracking and modding over the years

I don't see anyone trying to scare anyone either, but the big difference between now and the 'old days' is that it used to take a lot more knowledge, skill and understanding than it does now.

Nobody casually got involved in this sort of stuff without a good understanding of the risks, and for the most part nobody tried to charge each other for it as a 'service'.

There were always exceptions of course, quite a few people made a good living out of things like DVD region code hacks but even that was really the end of the old school hackers and the beginning of the service industry as very few of those were real hacks at all...

So all that is being said right now, is 'be careful' and understand what your risk actually is.

Spend the money in the knowledge that at some point you may have to choose between keeping the patch or upgrading to new firmware and if that is worth it to you then great, do it, but don't complain later.

The NFZ and altitude mods probably pose the least risk to sensible pilots, but of course the highest risk to everyone else in the hands of irresponsible pilots, but I'll leave it up to everyone else to figure out who is who

It is the Sports mode mode that actually worries me the most.

This is the one that I see causing damage and loss to people's aircraft and it will be in ways that will be very, very, obvious to DJI repair staff as the logs already track all the information needed to show the aircraft was performing outside of the limits when the failure occurred.

So just be careful and don't look to DJI, or State Farm for that matter to bail you out if you cause an ESC failure for example.

DJI won't warrant it and State Farm don't cover mechanical/electrical failure, so just accept the risk you take and don't blame others if it goes wrong.
Agree. Know what you are getting if you Mod and you take the risks. I think people are smart enough to figure that out.
As far as State Farm goes...I talked to my agent and know exactly what is covered and what isn't when it comes to the Mavic and anything else covered under a rider policy. Fully covered. Period. $39 per year, no deductible.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2017, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
I talked to my agent and know exactly what is covered and what isn't when it comes to the Mavic and anything else covered under a rider policy. Fully covered. Period. $39 per year, no deductible.
Just a little friendly advice, do read the small print, don't depend on the agent...

The agents are strongly motivated to keep saying 'yes' while they persuade you to take the policy, but it will not be the agent determining if it pays out.

Even if it only informs you on how to phrase your claim so you don't fall into any traps in the policy wording , it is worth your time to read all the policy documents.
Jun 25, 2017, 04:28 PM

Chill....

Guys...
This was meant to be a thread where if you had questions about this mod, or have done this mod to post the results. It just seems like discussion of this mod is being shut down on other boards.

I didn't mean this to turn into a Mod or don't mod argument, although that is a good discussion and some great points have been made.
I also am not telling you to mod or not to mod. That choice would be up to you, and it is also up to you to be informed as much as possible before you plunk down your hard earned $$ for this. It isn't cheap. Was I worried about the "unknown hacker types" in Russia offering this after I paid...absolutely! Who wouldn't be? I took my own steps to mitigate any losses I might incur..if any.

If you want to ask questions about the process, or the performance gains ask away. I just did the mod yesterday and have only flown a couple of test flights without issues, and that doesn't mean that there are any, or aren't. I just haven't found any yet. If I do, I will post them.

It may seem like it, but I am not here to defend CopterSafe, (I don't know them other than emailing support) or encourage anyone to mod their Mavic. That is totally your choice, as it is your choice to upgrade your firmware on your Mavic or not.

I will not answer any more personal attacks or innuendos pointed at me. Thats just childish.
Last edited by Quad808; Jun 25, 2017 at 04:34 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Just a little friendly advice, do read the small print, don't depend on the agent...

The agents are strongly motivated to keep saying 'yes' while they persuade you to take the policy, but it will not be the agent determining if it pays out.

Even if it only informs you on how to phrase your claim so you don't fall into any traps in the policy wording , it is worth your time to read all the policy documents.
Thanks...and yes, I had a good discussion with him. I couldn't understand why he kept using the phrase, "mysterious disappearance" to me. I swear he said it at least 5 times. Then it dawned on me what he was trying to tell me, without telling me. I was a little slow...but got the message.
Jun 25, 2017, 04:33 PM
Quote:
It may seem like it, but I am not here to defend CopterSafe, (I don't know them other than emailing support) or encourage anyone to mod their Mavic. That is totally your choice, as it is your choice to upgrade your firmware on your Mavic or not.
It isn't just Mavic though is it?

I thought they offered mods for other DJI aircraft as well.. ?
Jun 25, 2017, 04:34 PM
Funny how people got butt hurt in the other thread and kept saying take the talk somewhere else. Then when another thread was created they just could not help themselves. Unlike the other thread, I welcome opinions and views from ALL perspectives. I just hope they say their piece and stop cluttering this thread. On that subject, as much as people were losing their minds about the other thread being cluttered, there is about a page of off topic posts about cake etc. today and not ONE complaint! LOL It is funny how that can't follow their own advice when it doesn't fit with their agenda.

Anyway, if I go with this mod I will have accepted the fact that I could be out of the cost of the mod and possibly a Mavic if it gets bricked (I doubt that happening as of now). Worst case I buy another stand alone Mavic and move on. I sure won't be here crying about it.
Last edited by techspy; Jun 25, 2017 at 04:45 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 04:38 PM
Quote:
It isn't just Mavic though is it?

I thought they offered mods for other DJI aircraft as well.. ?
They have Phantom mods as well on their site, but I only have a Mavic. I have only read one post of someone with a Phantom getting the mod, but that's all I know.
It sure would get expensive if you had to mod both!! If that were the case with me, I would email them and just ask if they could discount the price.
For the $$ they charge, I am sure they have lots of discount to give! They could always not respond or just tell you no. Worth a shot.
Jun 25, 2017, 04:55 PM
Quote:
They have Phantom mods as well on their site, but I only have a Mavic. I have only read one post of someone with a Phantom getting the mod, but that's all I know.
I just took a quick look and not sure if it is recent, but it looks like they have everything from P3 - Matrice covered ...
Jun 25, 2017, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Funny how people got butt hurt in the other thread and kept saying take the talk somewhere else. Then when another thread was created they just could not help themselves. Unlike the other thread, I welcome opinions and views from ALL perspectives. I just hope they say their piece and stop cluttering this thread. On that subject, as much as people were losing their minds about the other thread being cluttered, there is about a page of off topic posts about cake etc. today and not ONE complaint! LOL It is funny how that can't follow their own advice when it doesn't fit with their agenda.

Anyway, if I go with this mod I will have accepted the fact that I could be out of the cost of the mod and possibly a Mavic if it gets bricked (I doubt that happening as of now). Worst case I buy another stand alone Mavic and move on. I sure won't be here crying about it.
I agree with you. That's why I started this and won't post in the other thread anymore.

Let us know if you go with the mod and if it meets your needs.
For me...I didn't really need the NFZ mod, or the Sport+, since I don't rip around that much...this is a camera bird after all. As for the height limitation..I wanted the height limitation removed, in case I fly near the Koolau range and need the additional height to get to the top.
The thing I really, really like is the Sport+ descend rate. Its unbelievable. You have to see it to appreciate it. The Mavic comes down faster and more stable than any other craft I have ever flown. Not a hint of vortex ring state. 22mph straight down. Flat as a pancake, no wobbles. Check it out in regular gps mode. The Mavic struggles with the rate coming down to hold level. In Sport+ you can hear the props almost stop...just about silent coming down, but it's coming down so fast you really have to be careful and give lots of room to slow down. Just jamming on the throttle puts too much strain on it I imagine. Of course you can come in at an angle...I did that yesterday when testing and it slowed just fine without a big rev up on the motors.
I need to put up a video of it in action. It's awesome. The video recorded from the Mavic coming down that fast is rock steady too.
Jun 25, 2017, 06:59 PM

More info...

Couple of things for more information..found a youtube video and I have attached a quick review from a poster in MavicPilots before the thread was deleted. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Anyway...here they are for information.
Coptersafe - Jailbreak Your DJI Drone ( Mavic , phantom ,inspire ) (18 min 32 sec)
Jun 26, 2017, 09:51 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Just a few warning people need to be aware of with this as something's are being glossed over.

1: Yes this is a patch but don't expect it to work with future fw versions, like all things like the at some point it's gong to get locked down and it may or may not get re opened again.
... and then again maybe they'll continue to provide good work-arounds. Who do you trust is smarter .... DJI or CopterSafe....

Accept that if you pay your money it's it may stop you from getting future updates or features.
... you mean kind of like what DJI did to its customers when DJI retroactively changed what the customer could upgrade or downgrade.

2: Be extremely careful with the enhanced sport mode, the battery is the weak link here, it's far to early to know what could happen with this larger current draw.
... valid comment

3: You will have no warranty if something goes wrong, your on your own at that point.
... might be worth the risk if a DJI imposed restriction keeps you from taking off in what they define to be a NFZ that's in fact not what FAA defines to be a NFZ.

4: I would strongly suggest using a VM or a clean PC to run this software, your dealing with unknown people here, what else may be going on we don't know especially when handing over something like a fingerprint key ect, Just be careful on this.
... and some "unknown" people actually turn out to respond quickly to customer issues when and/or if they arise.

5: also note people are receiving a discount or kick back to post about using this on forums so just take that into account, hopefully we will get decent info but still be aware of that fact.
... as long as posting is truthful what difference does it make why someone posted?

Finally I have no issues with anyone modding anything as that's what Iv spent my life doing to pretty much everything I have had but please be aware of the full facts and be aware and careful, this is very early days and we do not know what else may have been affected here and the last thing anyone wants is a crash or worse, remember people complain about bugs at the best of times with DJI so having unknown people make changes could have untold affects, or it could improve it we just have to see.
... I'm sure there are others out there that that have spent a their entire life doing mods and know full well that things don't get better without taking some risks...
Signed ..... a LOOOOONG time DJI customer (back to the 1st P1) that welcomes alternatives.

P.S. Welcome to the darkside MAD...
Jun 26, 2017, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
What happens if DJI completely disables the ability to apply patches? DJI after all has a "built-in advantage", where they can change the functionality enough to make patching impossible. While in theory it's always possible to work around any block DJI might implement, in reality reverse engineering undocumented firmware is very hard
nch
What happens at that point to the people who paid $450 to get this patch?

Also, what happens to the warranty? I'm pretty sure that DJI can see if a drone had the patch installed when a problem developed, and deny coverage given that the user "tampered" with the firmware

Ironically, if only very few people bother to do this, it's probably not worth for DJI to do anything about it. If this takes off, they are much more motivated to ensure it stops...
No such thing as an impregnable defense .... ask the French about the Maginot Line.

The Germans just went right around it... maybe DJI's Maginot Line isn't what its made out to be.
Things are definitely going to get interesting... DJI is definitely taking an interest
Jun 26, 2017, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Your home builds do not have smart packs with LVC and FETs controlling output, there have been enough issues with the passed with smart packs and DJI throttled back both the P3 and Inspire in certain conditions for this very reason, people need to be very careful with this Sport mode change, DJI a built everything to a tolerance especially on a craft this small, people need to be careful here.

What I'm saying is DJI Will shut this down at some point, so you will be stuck on older fw if you still want this patch, while they may be working on other versions it will be closed at some point, i'm not saying you can't update I'm saying if your paying a few hundred dollars you need to understand this may mean you could miss out on future updates if you wanted to keep the patch.

You may have everyone's interest at heart but presupposing what DJI is going to do (or even can do) is just a little presumptuous.

As for warranty no I do not work for DJI but they will know this has been installed and they will not cover any warranty so people need to take that into account, this has already be stated by the reps.
... again unless you actually work for DJI and are a coding expert, there's absolutely no way you can know this for a fact.

On the kick back I was not saying you did but try are offering discount for people to talk about it so it's just something to be aware of.
.... good to know you only just misspoke.

This is the issue, DJI will lock this down at some point and then your suck on the older fw to keep the patch or update and loose it, there are no guarantees this will work in the future so it's a possible risk.

And as I said above on the warranty it will not be honoured, it's that simple.
... your opinion matters, but until you become an official DJI spokesperson what you said about the warranty is only your opinion... no better or worse than anyone else's guess as to whats going to happen.

People just need to be aware and go from there, it's a lot of money to an unknown developer in Russia who we know little about, if it was free then ok go for it but that's a lot of coin for a lot of unknowns.
... there are GOOD smart Russians you know

I have zero issues with people bypassing anything as long as they know the risks and don't get carried along thinking it's all safe and guaranteed to work as it should, messing with the internal prams has all sorts of possible outcomes people don't fully understand on a RTF.
.... not giving Mavic owners much credit are you?
See RED
Jun 26, 2017, 10:48 AM
Last edited by wings6; Jun 26, 2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: removed
Jun 26, 2017, 10:50 AM
Quote:
It sure sounds like you are trying to scare people. Just like all the DJI updates...if you don't want to do it, don't.

I am not sure what else to say. If you purchase this mod, then you accept the risks ,if any, that it brings. Can it brick your Mavic? Nope. That's not how it works. All it does currently is:
Unlocks the height limitation
Unlocks the performance restrictions in Sport Mode
Unlocks the NFZ restrictions
The firmware currently supported is .400 and .700. Working on .900. That's all I know.
That's it. Anything else is pure speculation. This is not firmware.
I can only speak about my Mavic. It's still on .400. All the modes perform the same, except Sport. Its a beast now. Nothing changed in the settings after the mod, since it isn't firmware.
The bottom line is...if you do this mod and don't like it...just upgrade your firmware and go on your merry way. No harm done.
People mod their stuff all the time...cars, phones, computers...and yes even drones. Why is this any different?
Quad808,

I think Mad genuinely believes he's helping pilots decide on the wisdom of the CopterSafe Mods but when someone touts only the risky side of things and doesn't give equal time to all the good things provided by the Mods it apparent which side of the fence he's on.

He's a good contributor in all the DJI threads... expect him to be one here also.

P.S. Drop me a PM....

Quick Reply