Jun 24, 2017, 03:12 PM
Must Stop Buying More Stuff
Discussion

DJI Dashboard - Modding tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD

*This thread originally started as a CopterSafe/DJI thread, but has rightly changed into a How To for accessing the DJI Dashboard to change parameters in your DJI craft* -enjoy! Quad808

*GO to my blog for all the latest up to date info*

... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=595003

**IF YOU BOUGHT A NEW MAVIC AND ARE WANTING TO CHANGE PARAMETERS AND BYPASS THE DJI IMPLEMENTED NFZ SYSTEM...DO NOT UPGRADE PAST FIRMWARE .700!! NOT ANYMORE!!

As of this writing, there are .900 and .800 firmware available that do not support the bypassing of the NFZ system, but DO allow tweaking of other parameters. Here is a good video by my friend digdat0 and I would recommend his service to help you get started: (tell him Quad808 sent you!) https://flyflydrones.com/ 7/8/17 Well...there have been GREAT developments in modding the Go App for the DJI line. You now can totally get rid of the DJI implemented NFZ in ALL FIRMWARE!! This is done by removing the NFZ database directly from the Go App by some very talented people working on the project. Sadly, I am not one of them....severely lacking in the Skillz department. This is great news for those of you who use your DJI equipment to make money, and can't get past the DJI implemented NFZ easily and in a timely manner.

Removing forced update on DJI Go 4.x Android (Mavic, p4, Inspire2) (4 min 5 sec)

Aloha Peeps!

Decided to try a new thread, since it seems that DJI just hates CopterSafe and the DJI minions hate anyone posting about modifications.

S000000...this is the place to do so. Post your stories, videos and results here.
Have fun, stay calm and we all will have a good time!

For myself...been flying multi-rotors for some time now. CX-20 was my first one, modded the heck out of it and the CX-20 forum is a great place to hang out, since all topics are discussed there. I have build many craft since then, all muti-rotors.
Never bought a DJI copter.

Until the Mavic. Love this thing. It's small...it's expensive, and it flies great!! Well...that is until DJI mucked it up with their move to world dominance with a ploy to have an accurate database of NFZ's in order to try and position themselves as world leader and license their software to other drone makers. DJI could give a rats ass about their customers, since implementing these changes has resulted in numerous people not able to fly where they used to before.

But now, there is a solution. CopterSafe. Different unlocking packages are available, good support from the site - and my contact with them, they seem like good guys who just want to be left alone from DJI.
Totally unnecessary now, due to the hard work of lots of peeps.

I ended up getting the full package and despite some hiccups with the registration unlock...everything works as intended. The software patching works like a charm and only takes less than a minute. Anyway..feel free to post here. Hopefully we can create a great place to hang out!!

*If you are new to this thread...go see this post*
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=156

Then this one: (I will update this post as I get more information/tips)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=259
Last edited by Quad808; Dec 02, 2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: New Title
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2017, 05:47 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad808
Aloha Peeps!

Decided to try a new thread, since it seems that DJI just hates CopterSafe and the DJI minions hate anyone posting about modifications.

S000000...this is the place to do so. Post your stories, videos and results here.
Have fun, stay calm and we all will have a good time!

For myself...been flying multi-rotors for some time now. CX-20 was my first one, modded the heck out of it and the CX-20 forum is a great place to hang out, since all topics are discussed there. I have build many craft since then, all muti-rotors.
Never bought a DJI copter.

Until the Mavic. Love this thing. It's small...it's expensive, and it flies great!! Well...that is until DJI mucked it up with their move to world dominance with a ploy to have an accurate database of NFZ's in order to try and position themselves as world leader and license their software to other drone makers. DJI could give a rats ass about their customers, since implementing these changes has resulted in numerous people not able to fly where they used to before.

But now, there is a solution. CopterSafe. Different unlocking packages are available, good support from the site - and my contact with them, they seem like good guys who just want to be left alone from DJI.

I ended up getting the full package and despite some hiccups with the registration unlock...everything works as intended. The software patching works like a charm and only takes less than a minute. Anyway..feel free to post here. Hopefully we can create a great place to hang out!!
Can Litchi missions work after these mods? Also, what happens in the GO app if you enter a number higher than 500m for the altitude after the mod?
Thanks in advance.
Jun 24, 2017, 06:58 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I wonder if anyone from Coptersafe will pop in to answer questions directly? Maybe you can notify them of this thread?

My questions are;

- After each firmware release, how long does it take for CS to verify it is ok to update or offer a fix so you can update? I know it can vary but an general timeline would be cool. My biggest concern is that I will want a new "feature" but not a new limitation that is being introduced. For example, I do not have the head tracking sensitivity on the goggles or the option to switch to imperial units because I am staying on FW 700 for now. Do they have what FW is supported right now listed somewhere?

- If it wouldn't pose an issue, could you, or someone else post a video of the activation and usage process?

- Are you able to use the same device/app on all our DJI devices even if only one has the CS bugfix?

Just am FYI that I am not condoning doing anything illegal but the fact is, the DJI restrictions are not imposed because the law requires it. I have worked for many different 3 letter agencies and actually have over a thousand hours piloting REAL UAVs in controlled airspace. I also have extensive law enforcement experience (from local to other 3 letter agencies) and am VERY conservative when it comes to following the law. But I am equally passionate about not being told what to do with my money/property that has NOTHING to do with any law. I too am relatively new to DJI stuff. I held out because of their abysmal customer support reputation and the rampant flyaways that were being reported. Once I saw those were changing for the better (albeit slow for the customer service side), I decided to give the Mavic a try. Then all the NFZ stuff started being imposed.

Anyway, not trying to have this turn into a DJI bashing thread so enough of that. Really looking forward to some additional info on the use and future of CS.
Jun 25, 2017, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Thanks for starting this thread. I wonder if anyone from Coptersafe will pop in to answer questions directly? Maybe you can notify them of this thread?

My questions are;

- After each firmware release, how long does it take for CS to verify it is ok to update or offer a fix so you can update? I know it can vary but an general timeline would be cool. My biggest concern is that I will want a new "feature" but not a new limitation that is being introduced. For example, I do not have the head tracking sensitivity on the goggles or the option to switch to imperial units because I am staying on FW 700 for now. Do they have what FW is supported right now listed somewhere?

- If it wouldn't pose an issue, could you, or someone else post a video of the activation and usage process?

- Are you able to use the same device/app on all our DJI devices even if only one has the CS bugfix?

Just am FYI that I am not condoning doing anything illegal but the fact is, the DJI restrictions are not imposed because the law requires it. I have worked for many different 3 letter agencies and actually have over a thousand hours piloting REAL UAVs in controlled airspace. I also have extensive law enforcement experience (from local to other 3 letter agencies) and am VERY conservative when it comes to following the law. But I am equally passionate about not being told what to do with my money/property that has NOTHING to do with any law. I too am relatively new to DJI stuff. I held out because of their abysmal customer support reputation and the rampant flyaways that were being reported. Once I saw those were changing for the better (albeit slow for the customer service side), I decided to give the Mavic a try. Then all the NFZ stuff started being imposed.

Anyway, not trying to have this turn into a DJI bashing thread so enough of that. Really looking forward to some additional info on the use and future of CS.
Here is what I know for sure. The two firmware that are currently supported as of 6/24/17 are .400 and .700. They are working on .900 right now.
What this means is that once you purchase the mod, you can upgrade and downgrade firmware all you want and apply the mod, or not. There is no limit on applying the mod, since it is tied to your Mavic. As new firmware versions are supported, they will allow you to get that too, so any updates on the mod is included. So when .900 is available, you will have access to that too. This is a great feature, and should be good for all if DJI releases new features we want in the supported firmware.

Here is the process for the mod. Let me clear something up that DJI fanboys don't understand. This is not hacked firmware. They are patching the existing installed and supported firmware ONLY ON THE MAVIC. I believe this is no different than jailbreaking your phone, which in the US has been ruled completely legal. No changes to the Go App, or the controller. You don't even connect them for this.

1. You purchase the mod(s) you want.
2. Register on their site, and make payment thru Paypal.
3. Upon receipt and verification of funds they send you instructions to download the software and a serial number to install it on your PC. Win 10 fully supported. (In the beginning only worked on Win7)
4. install the software using the serial #
5. You connect only the Mavic to your computer via USB, then power it up.
6. run the software. It provides a Copter ID and a 2nd popup box provides you a Fingerprint from your computer.
(so smart of them...tied to your computer AND the Mavic)
7. You enter the Fingerprint and then send the information to them. Once they get it, they will email you the final key. This might take a while depending on the time difference. Mine took a couple of hours to receive it.
8. Once you receive the email with the username and key, you run the mod for your installed firmware version, enter the username and key and it patches in probably 10 seconds. Done. Disconnect and go test.

I ordered the whole package, and my Mavic is on .400. As I said, I had to wait a couple of hours to get the return email with the final key.
I did have some issues with the final step:
Once I connected up the Mavic, the Copter ID is the same, but my Hardware Fingerprint changed from when I installed it the first time, and the final key is tied to that. I emailed support right away and within about 5 minutes I was sent a new key. That didn't work either. So I re-did the original steps to get a new key sent to me...that didn't work either! I wasn't worried though, they were very quick to respond.
Finally, I was told to run the mod as Administrator. This worked great, as the Hardware Fingerprint was the same as the 1st time I ran it. Used the original key they sent and 10 seconds later the patch was done.

CopterSafe support: they are very responsive. I have emailed them several times and they always responded to my questions promptly, and no broken english. They seem like good guys from what I can tell. They have been doing this for a while now. info@coptersafe.com

I have no connection with them at all. Just emailed them various questions and letting you know my experience.

I did a full test this afternoon, on both the altitude removal and the Sport+ mode. Altitude removal works just fine. I left the limit on my controller at 500m, but I don't think this has any effect anymore. I went slightly past the previous DJI limit and could have just kept going. I just wanted to test it to make sure it worked.
Sport+ mode. OMG...this is the best thing ever. The mod unleashes the shackles that DJI has put on the Mavic.
Full throttle ascent - 22+ MPH! Full throttle stick down - descends at the same 22MPH, unbelievable. It comes down like a rock. You need to be careful though, as it takes a number of feet to slow down and stop. I just eased the throttle higher to make it more of a gentle slowdown. It actually comes down more stable than in non-sport mode!
Forward speed...it was slightly windy today, but I got up over 40 easily. I think it can go faster, but it was fighting the wind, and I didn't want to push it too hard, until I get used to it.
Whew!
After the mod, none of my settings were changed at all. Remember this is not hacked firmware, it is just a patch. Hope this helps!!
Last edited by Quad808; Jun 25, 2017 at 06:46 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 03:02 AM
Hey Macarena

CopterSafe tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD

Just a few warning people need to be aware of with this as something's are being glossed over.

1: Yes this is a patch but don't expect it to work with future fw versions, like all things like the at some point it's gong to get locked down and it may or may not get re opened again.

Accept that if you pay your money it's it may stop you from getting future updates or features.

2: Be extremely careful with the enhanced sport mode, the battery is the weak link here, it's far to early to know what could happen with this larger current draw.

3: You will have no warranty if something goes wrong, your on your own at that point.

4: I would strongly suggest using a VM or a clean PC to run this software, your dealing with unknown people here, what else may be going on we don't know especially when handing over something like a fingerprint key ect, Just be careful on this.

5: also note people are receiving a discount or kick back to post about using this on forums so just take that into account, hopefully we will get decent info but still be aware of that fact.

Finally I have no issues with anyone modding anything as that's what Iv spent my life doing to pretty much everything I have had but please be aware of the full facts and be aware and careful, this is very early days and we do not know what else may have been affected here and the last thing anyone wants is a crash or worse, remember people complain about bugs at the best of times with DJI so having unknown people make changes could have untold affects, or it could improve it we just have to see.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Jun 25, 2017 at 03:07 AM.
Jun 25, 2017, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the info Quad! I really like the fact that you can go back and forth between patched and un-patched and free updates. I am not so interested in the sport+ or altitude limits. I am only interested in the ability to get around false NFZs or to fly in a NFZ that I am authorized in. I saw where a guy was authorized by the base commander to get some aerial video and the NFZ stopped him. Imagine saying; "Uh sorry Colonel, I know you gave me DOD clearance to fly on your base but I must first contact a Chinese company (yes, that communist China) and ask them for permission. Whats that? Yes they will know where I want to fly and have access to the data from the flight. Ok sir, I will leave now and never come back".

Also, I find it funny that there is talk of this patch being illegal. Can you imagine a communist backed Chinese company suing a Russian company for intellectual rights infringement? Now that would be hilarious!

By the way, I don't know what spurred it but there are ALOT of recent articles about Coptersafe in the past few weeks and even days. There are non-drone specific news sites covering this. Must be something to it. Just google search and see.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.
Jun 25, 2017, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Just a few warning people need to be aware of with this as something's are being glossed over.

1: Yes this is a patch but don't expect it to work with future fw versions, like all things like the at some point it's gong to get locked down and it may or may not get re opened again. I think I answered that in my post. They are working on more firmware as I type this.

Accept that if you pay your money it's it may stop you from getting future updates or features. I have no idea what you are talking about. This is a patch only. You are free to update to any DJI firmware, and downgrade, just like now.

2: Be extremely careful with the enhanced sport mode, the battery is the weak link here, it's far to early to know what could happen with this larger current draw. Great point.

3: You will have no warranty if something goes wrong, your on your own at that point. Unless you work for DJI, or have an example...this is speculation on your part, but this IS something to consider. I put mine under a Personal Articles Policy under State Farm and it is fully covered.

4: I would strongly suggest using a VM or a clean PC to run this software, your dealing with unknown people here, what else may be going on we don't know especially when handing over something like a fingerprint key ect, Just be careful on this. Interesting speculation, but again good advice. I monitored my PC during install, and I have over 20 years in the IT industry. No changes, other than a typical install. No phone home etc.

5: also note people are receiving a discount or kick back to post about using this on forums so just take that into account, hopefully we will get decent info but still be aware of that fact. Are you saying that I receive a kick back? I don't. I am just telling my experiences with this. How would this be any different than DJI supplying drones for review to review sites, free of charge in exchange for a review?? I have not heard of this...maybe I should email someone?!!

Finally I have no issues with anyone modding anything as that's what Iv spent my life doing to pretty much everything I have had but please be aware of the full facts and be aware and careful, this is very early days and we do not know what else may have been affected here and the last thing anyone wants is a crash or worse, remember people complain about bugs at the best of times with DJI so having unknown people make changes could have untold affects, or it could improve it we just have to see.
I am not trying to start anything with you at all, just trying to answer your concerns (mostly unfounded, and speculation) from what I know to be true. I also totally agree with your last thought about the consumer being totally informed about this patch, what it does and what it DOESN'T do. This is unlike several other threads where owners are told to upgrade their DJI firmware and example after example is given about how everything is fine and there are little changes that you will see. This has been nonsense. I started this thread to inform anyone as much as I can about this, and my experience.

I do not work for, or am affiliated with CopterSafe in any way. I have been in contact with their support, and asked a bunch of questions and received quick responses to my questions, and what appear so far as open and honest answers. I receive no "kickback" or "compensation" from them in any way for starting this thread.

It is very apparent to me that DJI doesn't want anyone talking about this in any message board whatsoever...you will know this to be true if this thread gets shut down, as talk about the CopterSafe mod has been shut down in other forums. Let's see if RCgroups does the same under pressure from DJI. Other forums have been pressured. I know this for a fact.

The only thing I see this patch doing is to unlock the potential of the Mavic, parameters of which DJI set to limit speed, height etc. I have built many quads and hex copters based on open source software and am fully aware of how this is done to limit the crafts ability. I do not think DJI would be dumb enough to make a craft with ESC's and motors that can't handle the full load at full throttle, unrestricted, for short periods of time. I am careful at full throttle on my homebuilds, not to max the draw on the battery...this is a bad thing and usually results in voltage sag, so caution is advised here as well. I do not know the C rating of the Mavic battery, nor the Amp rating of the ESCs - so yes...caution is advised on extended full throttle runs, more so than on an un-modded Mavic.

The bottom line for me is...do the mod if you want. It unleashes the potential of the Mavic that DJI has restricted. Or don't. Up to you!!
Jun 25, 2017, 02:44 PM
What happens if DJI completely disables the ability to apply patches? DJI after all has a "built-in advantage", where they can change the functionality enough to make patching impossible. While in theory it's always possible to work around any block DJI might implement, in reality reverse engineering undocumented firmware is very hard

What happens at that point to the people who paid $450 to get this patch?

Also, what happens to the warranty? I'm pretty sure that DJI can see if a drone had the patch installed when a problem developed, and deny coverage given that the user "tampered" with the firmware

Ironically, if only very few people bother to do this, it's probably not worth for DJI to do anything about it. If this takes off, they are much more motivated to ensure it stops...
Jun 25, 2017, 03:02 PM
Hey Macarena

CopterSafe tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD

Quote:
I am not trying to start anything with you at all, just trying to answer your concerns (mostly unfounded, and speculation) from what I know to be true. I also totally agree with your last thought about the consumer being totally informed about this patch, what it does and what it DOESN'T do. This is unlike several other threads where owners are told to upgrade their DJI firmware and example after example is given about how everything is fine and there are little changes that you will see. This has been nonsense. I started this thread to inform anyone as much as I can about this, and my experience.

I do not work for, or am affiliated with CopterSafe in any way. I have been in contact with their support, and asked a bunch of questions and received quick responses to my questions, and what appear so far as open and honest answers. I receive no "kickback" or "compensation" from them in any way for starting this thread.

It is very apparent to me that DJI doesn't want anyone talking about this in any message board whatsoever...you will know this to be true if this thread gets shut down, as talk about the CopterSafe mod has been shut down in other forums. Let's see if RCgroups does the same under pressure from DJI. Other forums have been pressured. I know this for a fact.

The only thing I see this patch doing is to unlock the potential of the Mavic, parameters of which DJI set to limit speed, height etc. I have built many quads and hex copters based on open source software and am fully aware of how this is done to limit the crafts ability. I do not think DJI would be dumb enough to make a craft with ESC's and motors that can't handle the full load at full throttle, unrestricted, for short periods of time. I am careful at full throttle on my homebuilds, not to max the draw on the battery...this is a bad thing and usually results in voltage sag, so caution is advised here as well. I do not know the C rating of the Mavic battery, nor the Amp rating of the ESCs - so yes...caution is advised on extended full throttle runs, more so than on an un-modded Mavic.

The bottom line for me is...do the mod if you want. It unleashes the potential of the Mavic that DJI has restricted. Or don't. Up to you!!
Your home builds do not have smart packs with LVC and FETs controlling output, there have been enough issues with the passed with smart packs and DJI throttled back both the P3 and Inspire in certain conditions for this very reason, people need to be very careful with this Sport mode change, DJI a built everything to a tolerance especially on a craft this small, people need to be careful here.

What I'm saying is DJI Will shut this down at some point, so you will be stuck on older fw if you still want this patch, while they may be working on other versions it will be closed at some point, i'm not saying you can't update I'm saying if your paying a few hundred dollars you need to understand this may mean you could miss out on future updates if you wanted to keep the patch.

As for warranty no I do not work for DJI but they will know this has been installed and they will not cover any warranty so people need to take that into account, this has already be stated by the reps.

On the kick back I was not saying you did but try are offering discount for people to talk about it so it's just something to be aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
What happens if DJI completely disables the ability to apply patches? DJI after all has a "built-in advantage", where they can change the functionality enough to make patching impossible. While in theory it's always possible to work around any block DJI might implement, in reality reverse engineering undocumented firmware is very hard

What happens at that point to the people who paid $450 to get this patch?

Also, what happens to the warranty? I'm pretty sure that DJI can see if a drone had the patch installed when a problem developed, and deny coverage given that the user "tampered" with the firmware

Ironically, if only very few people bother to do this, it's probably not worth for DJI to do anything about it. If this takes off, they are much more motivated to ensure it stops...

This is the issue, DJI will lock this down at some point and then your suck on the older fw to keep the patch or update and loose it, there are no guarantees this will work in the future so it's a possible risk.

And as I said above on the warranty it will not be honoured, it's that simple.

People just need to be aware and go from there, it's a lot of money to an unknown developer in Russia who we know little about, if it was free then ok go for it but that's a lot of coin for a lot of unknowns.

I have zero issues with people bypassing anything as long as they know the risks and don't get carried along thinking it's all safe and guaranteed to work as it should, messing with the internal prams has all sorts of possible outcomes people don't fully understand on a RTF.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Jun 25, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 03:19 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca

What happens at that point to the people who paid $450 to get this patch? They are out there money, but it was theirs to throw away, they knew the risk..pioneers are hard to come by these days...Check the thread on this they were all about paying into a fund for the first guinea pig.

Also, what happens to the warranty? I'm pretty sure that DJI can see if a drone had the patch installed when a problem developed, and deny coverage given that the user "tampered" with the firmware. [COLOR=""]I'm not pretty sure, I am quite ( 100%) sure the logs will show any mod done, and there is no way to hide those logs if one had to send in their craft for repair. Even if you were unpatched and flying in Normal Dji parameters those logs are stored for quite a few flights back and DJI will review them all.[/COLOR]

1: Yes this is a patch but don't expect it to work with future fw versions, like all things like the at some point it's gong to get locked down and it may or may not get re opened again. I think I answered that in my post. They are working on more firmware as I type this. That isn't the point... he is saying DJI can shut down the back door at any point...and if you check the threads it has already been sent up the chain and noted by DJI, how soon they stop this is up to them, but I wouldn't give it more than a month.

Accept that if you pay your money it's it may stop you from getting future updates or features. I have no idea what you are talking about. This is a patch only. You are free to update to any DJI firmware, and downgrade, just like now. Again read what he is talking about, not the DJI side but the Patch side of features or updates, when the door is shut it will take quite a bit if at all to find a new avenue....is that worth it to the hacker...or does he just take your money and run??

2: Be extremely careful with the enhanced sport mode, the battery is the weak link here, it's far to early to know what could happen with this larger current draw. Great point. And to further this aircraft was tested and tuned with parameters and kept inside that flying envelope of structure integrity and electronics thresholds....that is all thrown out the window now, failures are only moments away it would seem.

3: You will have no warranty if something goes wrong, your on your own at that point. Unless you work for DJI, or have an example...this is speculation on your part, but this IS something to consider. I put mine under a Personal Articles Policy under State Farm and it is fully covered.
It's not speculation, by your own admission you have a very limited knowledge of DJI, you know nothing of their logging, you are dismissing people that have a collective of over 20 years + knowledge to the fact of what and how DJI handle things just like this. Your policy is good for complete failure or loss? One would gather that is the policy offered.. however does it cover parts failure and repairs when no other damage is evident? That being that DJI will drop all covered warranty repairs, so you would have to claim loss just to be safe. Are you then prepared to get a second aircraft, Mod it again and risk a second failure? I can assure you having State Farm that they will drop you like the proverbial sack of potatoes.

4: I would strongly suggest using a VM or a clean PC to run this software, your dealing with unknown people here, what else may be going on we don't know especially when handing over something like a fingerprint key ect, Just be careful on this. Interesting speculation, but again good advice. I monitored my PC during install, and I have over 20 years in the IT industry. No changes, other than a typical install. No phone home etc.
So then you are aware that that is the exact thing DJI did as well when you installed their software? How did you circumvent the alarms for their phone home and data gathering? You do know they did that didn't you?
5: also note people are receiving a discount or kick back to post about using this on forums so just take that into account, hopefully we will get decent info but still be aware of that fact. Are you saying that I receive a kick back? I don't. I am just telling my experiences with this. How would this be any different than DJI supplying drones for review to review sites, free of charge in exchange for a review?? I have not heard of this...maybe I should email someone?!! That's BS you are totally aware as you are in the thread where the member publicly stated that he or others would receive a discount for posting on Public media...come on tell the truth now.

As it already has been spun to this thread so be it, but those who are spinning have no clue to which they are speaking from their own posting of admitting ignorance. Blade said he could care less if you Mod, I certainly could care less what you waste your money on, or make money with for that matter...and Mad has more knowledge in this subject than some DJI employees, read the threads find out how he is or is not involved with DJI as a whole...and just so you know...DJI doesn't give out equipment to keep as far as I have seen, if they send out Beta and they expect it back! YMMV And again this isn't a scare tactic or a speculation this is from real world experience, people should have both sides of the coin to understand the gains or ramifications of using the Patches offered. DJI didn't like when someone copied their batteries, they shut that down pretty darn quick and left people holding their new batteries like a brick...they have control..it's up to them to push the button..and in my years of dealing with them, this is not even a question on how they handle this issue...time will tell.
Last edited by Repaid1; Jun 25, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
What I'm saying is DJI Will shut this down, so you will be stuck on older fw if you still want this patch, while they may be working on other versions it will be closed at some point, in not saying you can't update I'm saying if your paying a few hundred dollars you need to understand this may mean you could miss out on future updates if you wanted to keep the patch.

As for warranty no I do not work for DJI but they will know this has been installed and they will not cover any warranty so people need to take that into account, this has already be stated by the reps.

On the kick back I was not saying you did but try are offering discount for people to talk about it so it's just something to be aware of.

This is the issue, DJI will lock this down at some point and then your suck on the older fw to keep the patch or update and loose it, there are no guarantees this will work in the future so it's a possible risk.

And as I said above on the warranty it will not be honoured, it's that simple.

People just need to be aware and go from there, it's a lot of money to an unknown developer in Russia who we know little about, if it was free then ok but that's a lot of coin for a lot of unknowns.

I have zero issues with people bypassing anything as long as they know the risks and don't get carried along thinking it's all safe and guaranteed to work as it should, messing with the internal prams has all sorts of possible outcomes.
It sure sounds like you are trying to scare people. Just like all the DJI updates...if you don't want to do it, don't.

I am not sure what else to say. If you purchase this mod, then you accept the risks ,if any, that it brings. Can it brick your Mavic? Nope. That's not how it works. All it does currently is:
Unlocks the height limitation
Unlocks the performance restrictions in Sport Mode
Unlocks the NFZ restrictions
The firmware currently supported is .400 and .700. Working on .900. That's all I know.
That's it. Anything else is pure speculation. This is not firmware.
I can only speak about my Mavic. It's still on .400. All the modes perform the same, except Sport. Its a beast now. Nothing changed in the settings after the mod, since it isn't firmware.
The bottom line is...if you do this mod and don't like it...just upgrade your firmware and go on your merry way. No harm done.
People mod their stuff all the time...cars, phones, computers...and yes even drones. Why is this any different?
Jun 25, 2017, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
1: Yes this is a patch but don't expect it to work with future fw versions, like all things like the at some point it's gong to get locked down and it may or may not get re opened again. I think I answered that in my post. They are working on more firmware as I type this. That isn't the point... he is saying DJI can shut down the back door at any point...and if you check the threads it has already been sent up the chain and noted by DJI, how soon they stop this is up to them, but I wouldn't give it more than a month.

Accept that if you pay your money it's it may stop you from getting future updates or features. I have no idea what you are talking about. This is a patch only. You are free to update to any DJI firmware, and downgrade, just like now. Again read what he is talking about, not the DJI side but the Patch side of features or updates, when the door is shut it will take quite a bit if at all to find a new avenue....is that worth it to the hacker...or does he just take your money and run??

2: Be extremely careful with the enhanced sport mode, the battery is the weak link here, it's far to early to know what could happen with this larger current draw. Great point. And to further this aircraft was tested and tuned with parameters and kept inside that flying envelope of structure integrity and electronics thresholds....that is all thrown out the window now, failures are only moments away it would seem.

It's not speculation, by your own admission you have a very limited knowledge of DJI, you know nothing of their logging, you are dismissing people that have a collective of over 20 years + knowledge to the fact of what and how DJI handle things just like this. Your policy is good for complete failure or loss? One would gather that is the policy offered.. however does it cover parts failure and repairs when no other damage is evident? That being that DJI will drop all covered warranty repairs, so you would have to claim loss just to be safe. Are you then prepared to get a second aircraft, Mod it again and risk a second failure? I can assure you having State Farm that they will drop you like the proverbial sack of potatoes.

So then you are aware that that is the exact thing DJI did as well when you installed their software? How did you circumvent the alarms for their phone home and data gathering? You do know they did that didn't you?
5: also note people are receiving a discount or kick back to post about using this on forums so just take that into account, hopefully we will get decent info but still be aware of that fact. Are you saying that I receive a kick back? I don't. I am just telling my experiences with this. How would this be any different than DJI supplying drones for review to review sites, free of charge in exchange for a review?? I have not heard of this...maybe I should email someone?!! That's BS you are totally aware as you are in the thread where the member publicly stated that he or others would receive a discount for posting on Public media...come on tell the truth now.

As it already has been spun to this thread so be it, but those who are spinning have no clue to which they are speaking from their own posting of admitting ignorance. Blade said he could care less if you Mod, I certainly could care less what you waste your money on, or make money with for that matter...and Mad has more knowledge in this subject than some DJI employees, read the threads find out how he is or is not involved with DJI as a whole...and just so you know...DJI doesn't give out equipment to keep as far as I have seen, they send out Beta and they expect it back!
Ok...why are you saying things about me that aren't true? I have not read a single thing that someone said that they are getting paid for posting. What gives? Stop making up things you don't know about me. You are making this personal and I am not sure why.
I could care less if DJI cares, or doesn't care if I mod my own purchase. That is my freedom. I own the right to do so as I choose. The courts have already decided this.
Blade? This has nothing to do with any other thread.
As far as DJI software goes...yes I took steps. Did you?

Why are you here trying to start a fight?
You have not done this mod, that is your choice, so why start something? People have the freedom to do it or not. Its that simple.

All I know, is that with this Mod, I am out from under the control of DJI and can enjoy the Mavic the way I want to and I accept all the risks or speculated risks in doing so. Simple. I may or may not be able to upgrade past .700, and I am perfectly ok with that.
Simply a choice that is available now.
Bottom line is...Mod or don't Mod. Your choice.
Last edited by Quad808; Jun 25, 2017 at 03:55 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 03:46 PM
A nerve seems to have been touched. I wonder why?
Jun 25, 2017, 03:54 PM
Quote:
People mod their stuff all the time...cars, phones, computers...and yes even drones. Why is this any different?
It isn't any different, and perhaps it might surprise you just how many of us have indulged in hacking, cracking and modding over the years

I don't see anyone trying to scare anyone either, but the big difference between now and the 'old days' is that it used to take a lot more knowledge, skill and understanding than it does now.

Nobody casually got involved in this sort of stuff without a good understanding of the risks, and for the most part nobody tried to charge each other for it as a 'service'.

There were always exceptions of course, quite a few people made a good living out of things like DVD region code hacks but even that was really the end of the old school hackers and the beginning of the service industry as very few of those were real hacks at all...

So all that is being said right now, is 'be careful' and understand what your risk actually is.

Spend the money in the knowledge that at some point you may have to choose between keeping the patch or upgrading to new firmware and if that is worth it to you then great, do it, but don't complain later.

The NFZ and altitude mods probably pose the least risk to sensible pilots, but of course the highest risk to everyone else in the hands of irresponsible pilots, but I'll leave it up to everyone else to figure out who is who

It is the Sports mode mod that actually worries me the most.

This is the one that I see causing damage and loss to people's aircraft and it will be in ways that will be very, very, obvious to DJI repair staff as the logs already track all the information needed to show the aircraft was performing outside of the limits when the failure occurred.

So just be careful and don't look to DJI, or State Farm for that matter to bail you out if you cause an ESC failure for example.

DJI won't warrant it and State Farm don't cover mechanical/electrical failure, so just accept the risk you take and don't blame others if it goes wrong.
Last edited by Telrin; Jun 25, 2017 at 04:10 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 04:04 PM
Hey Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJustin
A nerve seems to have been touched. I wonder why?

No nerve I just want people to know this is not just install a patch and everything is brilliant as we don not know and there will be implications.

I have bigger issue with the cost tbh, it's a lot of coin but I would not pay it anyway when it's based on work people have been doing for free.

Again I have modded everything from Xbox to toaster so I'm not against i would just say be aware of everything.

As I said before I knew about this before almost everyone so I know exactly how this works so that's it good luck and stay safe.

Quick Reply