MJX Bugs 6 Brushless With C5830 Camera 3D Roll Racing Quadcopter RTF - RC Groups
Jun 24, 2017, 12:40 PM
GOT WINGS
Mini-Review

MJX Bugs 6 Brushless With C5830 Camera 3D Roll Racing Quadcopter RTF

This quadcopter was sent to me courtesy of Banggood. It was ordered on June 4, 2017 but was not in stock at that time. It shipped using DHL on June 19, 2017 and it arrived on June 23, 2017 with only minor dings in the box. There was a seperate box taped to the main box with the goggles in it. It was shipped by expedited shipping service, 8 days from shipped to arrival, very good transit time. It is well packaged and the box measures 385 x 257 x 153 millimeters. Pictures:
Name: zbug6bx.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 59.8 KB
Description: Name: zbug6bx2.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 57.0 KB
Description: Name: zbug6bx3.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 54.7 KB
Description: Name: zbu6bxcnt.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 78.2 KB
Description: Name: zbug6bxcnt2.jpg
Size: 63.5 KB
Description: Name: zbug6manl.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 86.8 KB
Description: Name: zbug6manuals.jpg
Size: 71.8 KB
Description: Name: zbug6qdcamtool.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 68.3 KB
Description: Name: zbug6manl2.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 120.1 KB
Description: Name: zbug6bx22.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 54.8 KB
Description: Name: zbug6bx22cnt.jpg
Size: 57.6 KB
Description: ssion and Description[/SIZE][/B]

This quad is 250mm size and it seems nicely built. The version sent is RTF and includes the FPV camera-C5803, and VTX. The order page did not show it but it also came with monitor and goggles. Other versions come with no camera or VTX, camera-VTX and monitor, or camera-VTX and monitor with goggles. MJX is also releasing a Bugs 8 with the only visible differences being the canopy and color of the prop nuts. The body/frame is all plastic, but seems fairly rigid and has a solid feel to it. It is an H type frame as opposed to an X type. It is all black with white LEDs/headlights on the front, red LED/taillights, and black plastic covered brushless 1806 1600KV motors. It has black props and landing gear. There are no prop guards included. The landing gear are rigid and about 4.5cm tall. Landing gear might be the first thing to break in a hard landing or moderate crash. The props are proprietary with flat sides near the bottom like DJI props and a recess in the top for the soft washers and prop nuts. The prop nuts are knurled and are M5 cw and ccw. The props are labeled A and B and have molded in directional mounting diagrams. There are A and B labels molded into each of the motor arms. It comes with an MJX C5803 camera/VTX that is not mounted and 3 screws to mount it in the front of the frame under the canopy. There is a card slot in the side of the camera that can be accessed with the canopy removed. The canopy clips in place like that of the Bugs 3 and can be removed by pinching the clips together with your fingers. Props and landing gear come installed, only the camera has to be added. There are black tubes covering the motor wires that are run in a channel under the arms and held in place by the landing legs. The battery is proprietary, encased in a plastic shell, and fits snuggly in the battery tray. It should not be difficult to use a larger capacity battery in the tray. Battery is rated as 2S, 1300mah, and 25C. Battery has a XT30 connector that mates with the connector built into the body at the back above the battery tray. The manual is written in easily understood English, there is also a quick start folder, a sheet for the monitor, and a folder for the camera.
Name: zbug6qdtp.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 73.8 KB
Description: Name: zbug6qd2bttm.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 89.3 KB
Description: Name: zbug6mtrarm.jpg
Size: 56.8 KB
Description: Name: zbug6frnt.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 62.9 KB
Description: Name: zbug6bck.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 63.2 KB
Description:

Banggood's Description:

Brand Name: MJX
Item NO.: Bugs 6
Color: Black
Frequency : 2.4G
Channel : 4CH
Motor Type: 1806 1800KV Brushless Motor
Camera: C5830
Transmitter: GR303B
Transmitter Power: 4 x 1.5V AA battery (not included)
Copter battery: 7.4V 25C 1300mAh LiPo Battery (included)
Battery Size: 8.2 x 4 x 2cm ( not including wires )
Flying time: 12mins
Remote distance: 300m
Charging time: About 3 hours
Copter size: 390 X 255X160mm

Features:
Brushless Motor strong power to the quadcopter
Support to mount 5.8G C5830 camera, G3 FPV goggles , D43 5.8G monitor
4 in 1 ESC provide worry-free flying experience
Inverted Flight, Rolling 180 ,3D Flip
The latest 6 axis flight control system, permits super stable flight
Super bright LED lights aid in orientation and allow for night flying
The quadcopter can fly both indoor and outdoor.Including 4CH digital proportional RC system
Bidirectional 2.4G, weak signal alarm and low voltage alarm

Function: Up/down, Forward/backward, Turn left/right, Sideward flight, LED Light, 3D rolling

Package included:
1 x MJX Bugs 6 Quadcopter
1 x Transmitter
1 x 7.4V 25C 1300mAh LiPo Battery
4 x Spare Blade
1 x Blance charger
1 x USB charging table
1 x Propeller fixing mount
1 x Manual

Dimensions and Weights

Motor to Motor(MTM) Diagonally----250mm.....................................MTM Side to Side-----177mm
MTM Front to Back-----177mm............................................. ..................Height/ground clearance-----18mm
Transmitter measures-----150 x 133 x 42 mm .................................Transmitter Sticks-----84mm CTC x 21mm tall
Props measure-----154mm/6 inches....................................... ..................Motors--1806 1600KV
Quadcopter body weight-----266.1 grams............................................. All up weight-----376.7 grams
Landing gear-----12.0 grams............................................. .......................Canopy 9.9 grams
Battery-----88.8 grams............................................. ...............................Camera---15.8 grams
Range of quad/fpv-----300 to 500 meters?................................... ... ............Battery bay-----100.0 x 44.0 x 22.0 mm
Battery measures-----84.0 x 41.0 x 21.5 mm

Transmitter

The transmitter is the same as the Bugs 3 tx but it is black instead of white. It has a green LED power indicator top center front and 4 trim buttons, but the throttle trim button, according to the manual, is reserved for new functions. It has no LCD display screen. Sticks are a little short cannot easily be replaced with standard 3mm adjustable sticks. The manual has instructions for calibrating the transmitter and the quad using the transmitter. Short p[ress the lower shoulder button on the left to change speeds, long press it to turn LEDs on/off. The upper shoulder button on the left is for arming/disarming the motors, and for binding the quad with the transmitter. Upper shoulder button on the right is for flips/rolls. Lower right shoulder button is short pressed for photos and long pressed for videos. Even though the transmitter is closer to toy grade than hobby grade, it still has a good feel to it and works well. The sticks seem fairly precise in control of the quad. The transmitter is smaller than the tx for the Eachine Falcon 210 Pro.
Name: zbug6txcmp.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 67.6 KB
Description:

First Flights

Before the first flight I was checking to make sure all of the screws were tight, and found one stripped screw under one of the motors. Luckily, I had a good screw to replace it with. In the manual it advises that you have to bind the quad with the transmitter the first time you fly it. I tried skipping the bind procedure and it did not work. To bind, you hold down the red arming should button while turning on the transmitter, then plug the battery into the quad. It was quick and easy and worked first try. It also remained paired with the transmitter after turning them both off and back on.
First flight was short and without the camera mounted. The wind was at least 15mph and gusting higher so I stayed in a small windbreak area. Quad seemed stable but a little wind was moving it around even in the windbreak. LEDs are fairly bright and a good orientation aide. It was not really slow in low rates and has decent yaw. In high rates it is fairly fast and yaw is also proportional. Only problems were caused by the wind but I did manage to land it on the 18 inch disk I took off from.
Second flight with stock battery still partially in a wind break with winds at about 10 mph. Still did not have camera mounted. In the best area of the windbreak, the quad had almost zero drift with no trim added, very stable hover. For flips, the shoulder button has to be held while the right stick is pushed in the direction you want to flip. The quad jumps up about 6 inches, flips, and drops less than 2 feet. Flips seem a little tighter using left or right aileron. Funnels are within a 6 foot diameter. The quad holds altitude fairly well in full fast forward with some additional throttle. Punch outs are not too impressive, I think the Bugs 3 may be faster. Very agile and easy to control precisely with the transmitter. I timed this flight, low voltage warning started beeping at about 9.75 minutes, and quad self landed at 11.75 minutes. So about 2 minutes warning. The transmitter beeps to warn of low battery, but the quad also beeps with low battery. The battery at rest measured about 3.3 volts, so it would be better to land quickly after low voltage warning starts.

Range

The range is advertized as 300 meters and there is a warning beeper that goes off when the quad to transmitter signal starts getting weak. I flew it out to at least 800 feet, and the transmitter beeped for just a couple of seconds when I had the quad turned probably with the antenna on the other side of the battery.

Battery and Charger

The battery came charged to 4.04 volts per cell or 8.08 volts total. It is proprietary and is encased in a plastic housing with a balance plug and an XT30 plug. The stock charger does not have it's own wall wort and charges using only the balance plug. It has plugins for 2S and 3S batteries. With the battery discharged to 3.7 volts per cell, it took 2.5 hours to recharge the battery and voltage ended at 4.22 volts per cell.
Name: zbug6btchgr.jpg
Size: 159.9 KB
Description:

Camera Quad?

The quad has options to equip it with a camera, VTX, monitor, and goggles. It is designed for FPV and claims a range of 300 meters for FPV transmission. Camera and FPV equipment will be discussed more in post #2.

Quad comparison

This quad is smaller than a Bugs 3 which is a 310mm size quad, bigger than a Falcon 210 Pro at 210mm, and it measures 250mm motor to motor diagonally. Props are 154mm or about 6 inches long.
Name: zbug6qdcmp.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 65.5 KB
Description: Name: zbug6qdcmp2.jpg
Size: 80.3 KB
Description:

LEDs
There two bright headlamp LEDs in the front that are almost blinding when looking directly at them. The two red back LEDs only light up when the motors are turning so it is harder to get a picture of them, but they are also bright.
Name: zbug6frntled.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 47.3 KB
Description:

Conclusion

The MJX Bugs 6 looks good and seems put together well. It flys only in 6-axis stabilization mode and has no acro mode. It should make a good beginners racing and FPV quad, but may be a bit advanced for a beginner with no quad experience at all. It is a fast and sporty flyer, and the brushless motors make it seem fairly powerful. LEDs are good for low light flying and the headlights are bright enough to help in daylight. The manual is written better than most. It will probably be a good introductory brushless FPV quad for intermediate quad pilots , but if you are looking for a racer with acro mode, this is not that quad. It does seem to do what it was designed for very well and at a reasonable cost. My rating does not at this time reflect the quality and usefulness of the camera, monitor, and goggles, I may rate them seperately. I would rate this quad at about an 8 out of 10 on my rating scale, where 1 is bad, and 10 is excellent.

Pros
Nicely built/good looking design.
Strong brushless motors, good power.
Seemingly strong frame
Very stable.
Good pitch and yaw.
Good LEDs to aide orientation.
Smooth, quiet brushless motors.
Good low voltage warning.
Decent instruction manual.

Cons
All black, not good for orientation.
Proprietary battery.
Proprietary propellers.
Uncommon XT 30 battery plug.
Rather small and simple transmitter.
No on/off switch.

Thanks to Banggood for providing this quad for review.
You can find it here ranging in price from $86.99 to $149.99 USD depending on version, including shipping: https://www.banggood.com/MJX-Bugs-6-...campaign=bugs6
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 26, 2017 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2017, 12:41 PM
GOT WINGS
Camera/fpv/videos

The C5830 camera and VTX system that comes with the Bugs 6 is an all in one unit that includes a TF/SD card slot for recording videos and taking pictures. There is not much information on the camera in Banggood's ads or at the MJX website. All I could find there is that the camera/VTX is "5.8G 500mw high power image transmission allows 300 meters." At Aliexpress where they are selling the C5830 camera separately their ad says "Resolution: Real-time image transmission resolution 480P, local storage resolution 720P." The only other information I found on the camera is that the lens angle is adjustable 90 degrees. The appears to adjust from about 45 degrees above horizontal to 45 degrees below. There are notches it clicks into at about every 15 degrees, so there are 7 notched positions. The camera appears to have a wide lens angle, at least 120 degrees. the picture in the monitor curves the horizon a lot. the camera mounts under the canopy and is secured with 3 screws. There is a 3 pin micro JST plug that plugs into a socket at the front of the flight control board. Once the camera is mounted it is not easy to insert the memory card, I had to use a needle nose pliers.
Name: zbug6c5830cam.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 100.0 KB
Description: Name: zbug6c5830cam2.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 105.7 KB
Description: Name: zbug6c5830cam3.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 94.9 KB
Description: Name: zbug6cammnt.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 108.0 KB
Description:

I attached the camera to the quad, inserted a micro SD card, and attached the monitor to the transmitter. The monitor was very hard to see in daylight conditions, even with the supplied shade attached. I flew the quad out to about 500 feet and still had a decent picture on the monitor. I flew the quad out to about 700 feet and did not loose radio control, but the tx did beep once when the quad was in a certain orientation, probably because the antenna was being blocked by the battery. I tried to take a short video and a few photos but when I put the card in the computer I had nothing.
Low voltage beeping started right at 10 minutes and the quad went down at 11 minutes. Not bad for the additional weight and power used by camera/VTX.

I found that it was the SD card I was using that kept me from getting video or photos. I put a good class 10 card in it and was able to record a picture and a couple of videos. The picture is apparently under cloudy conditions, though I was about 800 feet away when I took the picture. The picture is 1280 by 720 pixels and not altered in any way. And a couple more pictures taken later.
Name: zbug6picture.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 75.1 KB
Description: Name: JPG00002.JPG
Views: 56
Size: 73.5 KB
Description: Name: JPG00003.JPG
Views: 51
Size: 159.0 KB
Description:
I did a bit of a range test and at about 100 feet with some cedar trees between me and the quad, I still had good video in the goggles/monitor unless I moved the goggles to where my body was between the goggles and the quad. I had the quad sitting on a platform about 3 feet off the ground and went out to about 800 feet with no loss of signal unless I blocked the monitor with my body. I also started a little video from that distance but it is not worth sharing. I do have a video I will upload and share later.
The monitor is not as good as some, but it does work well enough for an entry level monitor and goggles. One thing it did surprisingly well was adjust from outdoor light to an indoor unlit room. The view from inside the goggles was actually brighter than the view with the naked eye.
Here is the short video of the quad flying I made earlier. I had the camera lens set at horizontal during this video. It rained over an inch and a half last night, I didn't realize there was that much water out in that field.
Banggood MJX Bugs 6 (1 min 7 sec)

Here is another short video with the camera tilted 15 degrees up. Some funnels and flips, plus one flip too close to the ground causing an unplanned upside down landing.
Bugs 6 with 15 degree camera tilt plus flips (1 min 15 sec)

A video of the Bugs 6 flying, funnels, flips, and a run out to about 500 feet - the first high line pole. Video taken with an Eken H9 camera.
Banggood's MJX Bugs 6 flight video (2 min 27 sec)
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 24, 2017 at 10:06 PM.
Jun 24, 2017, 12:42 PM
GOT WINGS
Tear down and mods

The esc's are mounted above the flight control board and covered by a sheet of sticky foam which came off easily and went back on easily. Looks like esc's might be all joined together on one board so a 4 in one.
Name: zbugs6escs.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 138.7 KB
Description:

This is a picture of a nanotech 2200mah I have been using with the Bugs 3. One flight with this battery on the Bugs 3 was timed at over 22 minutes. I wedged a felt pad in between the battery and the bottom of the the battery tray to use it on the Bugs 6, already had an XT30 plug on it. Did not time the flight but had a small crash that made the battery move a little.
Name: zbugs6nanotech.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 72.8 KB
Description:

Props are recessed on the nut side and have a larger diameter hole with flat sides on the bottom. To use the yellow prop I would have to drill a larger hole in the bottom to fit on the motor shaft shoulder.
Name: zbugs6props.jpg
Size: 150.2 KB
Description: Name: zbugs6props2.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 158.1 KB
Description:

The Bugs 3 transmitter board has GR303-TX printed on it with the date 2016/09/12. The Bugs 6 has GR303-TX V02 with the date 2016/12/12. There are some other differences in the boards also.
Name: zzbg3txin.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 145.2 KB
Description: Name: zbugs6txbrd.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 130.4 KB
Description:

The tx antenna was glued horizontally right in front of the top side of the tx board. I removed the glue, drilled a hole in the top of the fake antenna, and pushed the antenna up through the hole. Range so far with this has been tested out to about 800 feet.
Name: zbugs6txant.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 71.5 KB
Description: Name: zbugs6txant2.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 85.6 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Jun 24, 2017 at 09:07 PM.
Jun 24, 2017, 09:12 PM
GOT WINGS
A couple of things I did not discover until the last couple of video flights.
You can initiate flips while flying forward/backwar or sideways, don't have to stop completely to flip.
If the quad lands and sits idling, the motors will automatically shut down after about 12 seconds.
Jun 24, 2017, 09:36 PM
GOT WINGS
Went out and did one more test before it gets dark. I got the quad hovering about 5 feet off the ground and turned off the transmitter. Within 2 seconds the motors shut down and the quad dropped to the ground.
Jun 25, 2017, 03:17 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Nice review, SF. Why MJX went for proprietary props is beyond me. I hope it doesn't become a hype, as Emax also done it with their Babyhawk. Last thing we need, besides all the different transmitter protocols, is more proprietary props...

Camera seems nice, a little motion in the image, it's not 100% solid, but looks pretty detailed and decent color.
Jun 25, 2017, 11:18 AM
GOT WINGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Nice review, SF. Why MJX went for proprietary props is beyond me. I hope it doesn't become a hype, as Emax also done it with their Babyhawk. Last thing we need, besides all the different transmitter protocols, is more proprietary props...

Camera seems nice, a little motion in the image, it's not 100% solid, but looks pretty detailed and decent color.
The motor shafts would not be too hard to adapt other props to, depending on the props you start with. The prop I pictured is 5mm hole all the way through, some props have bigger diameter holes at the bottom.
Camera is not too bad and monitor has some adjustments like brightness. Photos from camera are rather dark though. But even though the goggles only have adjustments for shaft length, they fit me well and focus on the screen was not a problem for me.
Jun 25, 2017, 11:38 AM
GOT WINGS
Another couple of test flights this morning, 70'F and 5 to 10 mph winds. Quad handles winds that low easily.
First I strapped the Nanotech 2200mah 35-70C on and timed a flight. Low voltage warning started at 14.5 minutes and the quad went down at 15.5 minutes, so an extra 4.5 minutes with camera on but not recording. Balance of the quad did not seem affected, it hovered very close to in place except for the little bit of wind that was not blocked in my windbreak.
Funnels in high rate are better than I thought yesterday, probably within a 4 foot diameter. Punch outs are not really fast and forward pitch/speed are not really fast either. I think the Bugs 3 may be a little faster than this quad. And if you try to cut throttle to zero to come straight down, the quad starts to roll over. Doesn't recover that well either, once before it could recover from dropping from about 30 feet, it hit the ground. The transmitter did beep again when I got out to about 700 feet, but only when the quad was turned with the receiver antenna on the other side of the battery. I may try moving the antenna to a better position.
I also tried binding with the Bugs 3 transmitter. Did not work, and then I had to rebind with the Bugs 6 transmitter.

One really good feature is that if the transmitter is turned off, the quad beeps loudly, at least loud enough to hear it from 75 feet away I think. So if it goes down in some trees, tall grass, or something that makes it hard to spot, you can turn off the transmitter and search with sound as an aide.
Jun 25, 2017, 12:12 PM
GOT WINGS
Planning on taking the Bugs 6 to town with me this afternoon so I tried out my Harbor freight case. Nice fit.
Name: zbugs6incase.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 283.2 KB
Description:
Jun 25, 2017, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I also tried binding with the Bugs 3 transmitter. Did not work, and then I had to rebind with the Bugs 6 transmitter.
)

Excellent review ... What the pity the changed something in Bugs3 protocol ... I am pretty sure the change is minor. Now I release the protocol is not yet deviated !!! Goebish what are you doing ?
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Jun 25, 2017, 01:02 PM
GOT WINGS
Thanks SeByDocky.
Jun 25, 2017, 10:52 PM
GOT WINGS
Monitor - D43

The only instructions about the monitor are how to slide it into the goggles and that you have to turn it on before putting it in.
So I decided to take a few pictures and a video to try to figure out how it works. Pictures:
Name: zgogglesmonitor.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 57.1 KB
Description: Name: zbugs6incase.jpg
Size: 283.2 KB
Description:

On the right side of the monitor there is an on/off button and a micro USV port for the charge cord. There are 4 buttons the right side of the face of the monitor.

The top button has a G under it that I assume may mean Grid. When it is pushed it puts a crosshair in the middle and bars/grid on each side of the screen. That might help with FPV flying. Did not take a pictuer of it, but you might be able to see it in the video.

The second button has a circle that is dark on the left and white on the right. It seems to adjust brightness, pushing it adds red bars from left to right then resets to zero once you go past the end. Pictures:
Name: zmonitorbrightness.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 86.0 KB
Description: Name: zmonitorbrightness2.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 79.9 KB
Description:

The third button looks like a little sun, I think it adjusts contrast. Again it brings up a red bar scale that goes from left to right as the button is pushed, then back to zero. Pictures:
Name: zmntrcntrast.jpg
Size: 56.2 KB
Description: Name: zmontrcntrst2.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 52.4 KB
Description: Name: zmntrcntrast3.jpg
Size: 69.4 KB
Description:

The fourth button is the channel button with a CH. Pushing the button quickly changes one channel at a time. I did not count the number of channels, but there are probably at least 32. Pushing and holding the channel button will cause it to search through the channels until it finds the channel your camera/vtx is sending. It searches fairly quickly. I think the monitor auto searches for the channel being broadcast when you turn it on.

The camera instruction sheet shows 8 different channels that can be set on the camera. There is also a picture of an TF card with an X through that shows if you do not have a card in the quad's camera. It also show Shooting Indicator and Time. Picture:
Name: zinstsht.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 91.0 KB
Description:

Here is a video where I try to show the different functions of the monitor:
FHD0002 (3 min 13 sec)
Jun 26, 2017, 02:24 PM
GOT WINGS
I took the monitor apart just to see what is inside, only 3 screws to remove, then it comes apart.
It has an 800mah 1C lipo inside. Don't think I have ever seen a battery rated 1C before.
I decided I couldn't move the battery to the outside and still have the monitor fit inside the goggles, but could move the antenna outside and on top of the monitor.
Name: zmonitorin.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 148.4 KB
Description: Name: zmntrant.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 70.9 KB
Description: Name: zmntrantout.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 69.4 KB
Description:

I did the same test as the one in the video above with the antenna mod, and it seemed to get a little better reception on the other side of the cedar trees.
Jun 26, 2017, 03:38 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Can you select FPV channel on the camera/VTX?
Jun 26, 2017, 05:38 PM
GOT WINGS
There are 3 dip switches, see picture in post #2. And there apparently are 8 different channels on the camera, see picture of camera manual in post #12 for frequencies. so you do have a choice of FPV channels, although limited.