Jun 23, 2017, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How much will the temp drop during the eclipse on Aug 21st ?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/...r-eclipse.html
Jun 24, 2017, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboy2
Report of temps dropping 28 degrees! From 1834.

Doubt there would be any real temperature drop during the summer. It may feel like a temp drop, like when the sun goes behind the clouds, but no real change. There is too much thermal mass in the earth and the sun is only shaded cometly for a short time.
Jun 24, 2017, 07:47 AM
GTH NFL
I read it could drop 20-30 degrees in some locations. If there is high humidity and/or cloud cover, not so much. If the sky is clear, it could be significantly noticeable.
Jun 24, 2017, 07:57 AM
I can't imagine 90 seconds of totality to have much of an effect but will record it. I'm adding my high/low thermometer to the list of stuff for the event. Got some eclipse glasses yesterday from Amazon.
Jun 24, 2017, 08:04 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Eclipses happen all the time... All the time.
Jun 24, 2017, 08:21 AM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
That's an echo?
Jun 24, 2017, 08:41 AM
turn, turn, turn.
That's a question... Thanks for the chuckle.
Jun 24, 2017, 08:56 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
If there was a substantial drop in temp during a solar eclipse, there would be a well known and documented phenomenon by now in the trail, leaving a "wake" of clouds from atmospheric condensation when conditions permitted. Something, to my knowledge, doesn't happen of any note.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...space-science/
Jun 24, 2017, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
If there was a substantial drop in temp during a solar eclipse, there would be a well known and documented phenomenon by now in the trail, leaving a "wake" of clouds from atmospheric condensation when conditions permitted. Something, to my knowledge, doesn't happen of any note.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...space-science/
This seems reasonable. I think the 28F reported drop was a "guess".
Quote:
Meteorologists knew an eclipse could lower temperatures within this shadow by as much as 5 degrees Fahrenheit
Jun 24, 2017, 09:19 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I think of the umbra swept across at maybe a quarter the speed it does, there might be some noticeable weather changes when conditions permitted.
Jun 24, 2017, 12:59 PM
O...M...G.... the Temp shift will be like the difference between day and night. Wow.. some people are too stupid to live. If you live in the path of this and it's normally 95 degrees out and the temp drops to sat 70 for an hour, I highly doubt anything will change except people going outside saying "oh, this feels rather nice" and continue about their day.
Jun 24, 2017, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
Jun 25, 2017, 05:37 AM
On a bright day, I am definitely able to notice a drop in temperature when a cloud goes in front of the sun.

Like wise on a bright day I am definitely able to notice a temperature change between standing in the sunshine and standing in the shade.

People have even designed Stirling engines which are able to generate mechanical motion from just a couple degrees Fahrenheit temperential difference between direct sunlit and shadow.

I've bookmarked a French website which explains how to build Ultra Low Temperature Differential Stirling Engines; however my Apple laptop isn't working and I haven't been able to search for that website, so the best impressive video I was able to find was one showing one you can purchase which can run off the heat of your hand:

KS90 Stirling engine running on hand heat (0 min 33 sec)

FWIW you can also build mechanical engines running fro the diirence between sunlit and shadow temperatures using rubber bands:

Rubber Band Heat Engine (1 min 53 sec)

There's also a mecanical heat engine which can be made from modern coffee bag which is able to rotate from the temperature difference between sunlit and shadow:

Sunflower Heat Engine in Sunlight/How it Works (2 min 44 sec)
Last edited by i812; Jun 25, 2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Added rubber band and coffee bag heat engine videos

Quick Reply