Help with 10 year old Reichard "Sprinter" - RC Groups
Jun 23, 2017, 11:38 PM
Discussion

Help with 10 year old Reichard "Sprinter"

Hi guys, not too sure where to post this but thought you folks could steer me in the right direction.

I found in some old storage a Reichard "Sprinter." Everything is in great shape but I don't have the hardware package and need a motor, ESC and 3 servo's.

Does anyone know how to contact Reichard (English speaking) and/or is there another place I could find the hardware, push rods, control horns etc? Any help, suggestions as to power set up or recommendations would be appreciated

Cheers
Mike

PS the stabilizer is just sitting on top of the vertical stab....it's not installed crooked!
Last edited by Canada Goose; Jun 23, 2017 at 11:39 PM. Reason: added text
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2017, 05:11 PM
#who gives a rats a**?
https://www.t9hobbysport.com/reichard-model-sprinter has a little info on recommended motors and servo's. Not hard to make control horns and control rods from materials from good RC retailers, I prefer to do that instead of using supplied stuff which always looks kinda flimsy IMO
Jun 28, 2017, 03:46 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
I knew a guy years ago that had a sprinter. He put that glider through hell and back and it always flew well.. Great project
Jun 28, 2017, 05:10 PM
Wow, that's great to know. Thank you for posting . I've been flying various RC planes for 25 years and have always aspired to fly a hot glider but realise it will take some time to get to grips with it.

I have a couple of questions. How do I secure my HS 82mg servos into the wing? Am I looking to put in a 4000-5000 mAh lipo battery or the largest capacity that will fit, is there a weight limit? I'm very new to electrical power having flown slimmers for years.
Jun 28, 2017, 05:55 PM
#who gives a rats a**?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r-build-thread small thread but should help.

I don't wrap servo's in masking tape anymore, I've had the tape lose it's stickiness which caused the servo to move, I sand the case and glue directly in although heatshrink instead of tape works well I've heard.

Battery weight shouldn't be a problem

There's a few vids on YouTube, here's one to start.

esprit model sprinter warmliner with aveox motor castle creations 80 amp esc (1 min 30 sec)
Jun 28, 2017, 07:02 PM
Do you use a generous amount of epoxy to the servo and then place it in the servo cut out or do I use silicone?
Jun 28, 2017, 08:07 PM
#who gives a rats a**?
I wouldn't say I use lots, a bit on the underside to bond to the wing skin and then some on 3 sides, I don't put any servo arm side to avoid gluing the servo arm in place...yes I've done that before.... I try and bond the servo to the spar if possible. I don't glue servo's in until horns are in and I can make 2 control rods identical in length. I also use microballoons to thicken epoxy up to a kinda whipped cream consistency which means it doesn't run away before it sets.
Jun 28, 2017, 08:59 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
4-5000mah lipo will be fine. If it were mine I'd put a Neu 1509/1D in it and run it on 3s.. It'll really scoot on that setup
Jun 29, 2017, 02:19 AM
#who gives a rats a**?
I wouldn't go to the expense of a motor + GB and would look at a Mega 22-30 option for direct drive or the budget motors I mentioned earlier, unless I had a GB lying around. But then I'd probably be looking at an X Plus to use that in, lol
Jun 29, 2017, 09:14 AM
I just bought an MVVS motor from John at Puffin and it is on its way from the UK. Thank you to everyone who has posted answers and suggestion to this thread. It never ceases to amaze me how thoughtful and helpful people are on RCG.
Jun 29, 2017, 12:07 PM
#who gives a rats a**?
Puffin was the shop my mate got his Sprinter from originally, good to see you sorted and let us know how it goes
Jun 29, 2017, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo
Puffin was the shop my mate got his Sprinter from originally, good to see you sorted and let us know how it goes
I dealt with John many years ago and was sad to learn his is in the process of closing down now but he did not hesitate to answerany of my questions and recommended the MVVS motor with 13x7 folding prop. I bought both from him and they are en route.

Thanks for your help feefo. I am sure I will have many more questions about the Sprinter. I had a response from Reichard today and they are sending me the hardware kit along with a new canopy, servo cover etc and all for $20 inc shipping!! I am very excited to completing this project. We have a lot of wind here in Southern Alberta and I'm thinking the Sprinter will make a good slope glider.

Anyone got some rough idea's how long a run time to expect for a 5000 mAh pack? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us
I realise that it won't be flying full throttle for much of the flight.
Jun 29, 2017, 01:19 PM
#who gives a rats a**?
Hey that's pretty cool of Reichard, nice to see customer service like that.

It'll depend on what amps your setup draws, and then depend on how you fly, maybe ask John if he can give you an estimate on amp draw but best to use a watt meter to be sure. Once you know amp draw we can work out motor run time.

I use a separate rx battery on my models and leave the main battery just for the motor, a small 2s and a Ubec weighs very little. A 2s 500mah battery powering 3x HS82's and the rx will last you ages. Just get in the habit of using a battery checker after a flight to check the packs voltage.
Jun 30, 2017, 05:02 PM
Feefo , John said that on 10 sub c cells with the same mvvs motor and 13x7 prop it would pull 45 amps.