Jul 05, 2019, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianspork226
This is great news for us. Can you share your printing strategy?

Machine?
Enclosure? Heated or not?
Measures taken for material humidity control?
Print fan settings?
Print temperature?
Bed temperature?

The Airbus looks really great... Is that primer? Looks like very smooth uniform surfaces...

Your success is very encouraging!

-david
Prusa MK2S
Cardboard box enclosure, no heating
Hatchbox ABS, no filament drying.
No cooling fan
255 deg C nozzle,
90 deg C bed for first layer, 80 for remaining

Yes, it is primered. There were a few spots that had minor gaps and needed body filler, but overall the airframe printed fairly smooth.

I will mention that my design is different than the 3D Lab models. I have everything modeled as a single solid and any slicer can slice the STLs. The wall thicknesses are 0.8mm (2 perimeter) and this makes the plane require very minimal internal structures. I do want to test a 0.3mm nozzle and change various parts to be 0.6mm in thickness to save weight and see if they are still strong enough.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2019, 09:41 AM
My planes plow into the field
I find that ASA filament layer adhesion is somewhat less that I would like unless you print in two or more shells. It is lighter that PLA and that makes up for some of it. ASA is also somewhat flexible similar to PETG. I have "downgraded" to printing with PETG as I am looking for better layer adhesion. In another thread Thoese is using Greentec Pro Carbon filament, Looks promising, but I am waiting to see the final build.

If you guys find some setting that improves layer adhesion in ASA please report it back here....
Last edited by farmertom; Jul 05, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Jul 05, 2019, 05:52 PM
For a non-RC project for a friend, I just ordered some ASA-X which is supposed to have reduced warping and better layer adhesion compared to regular ASA : https://www.mcpp-3dp.com/products/asa-x/
I'll try to print a few plane parts, when I get the chance. I'll let you know the results.
Jul 05, 2019, 06:11 PM
ASA-X (1.11) seems to have a mass density between ASA (1.05) and PLA (1.25). I'm wondering if it is some hybrid blend?
Jul 20, 2019, 07:39 PM
OCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
I find t
If you guys find some setting that improves layer adhesion in ASA please report it back here....
What is your hot end temp? I am running 255C in an insulated box stays at 68C with a 110 to 100 C bed. I agree I would like better layer adhesion. I have been having run thin CA on some areas.
Jul 20, 2019, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright
What is your hot end temp?.
Specs as follows:
Hotend is 260c
Bed is 100c
I also am using an enclosure and temps were about 50c...
Hope this helps...good luck.

and no part fan running.
Last edited by farmertom; Jul 20, 2019 at 07:53 PM.
Jul 22, 2019, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright
What is your hot end temp? I am running 255C in an insulated box stays at 68C with a 110 to 100 C bed. I agree I would like better layer adhesion. I have been having run thin CA on some areas.
I found that brushing acetone on the inside of the parts helps.. Changes the surface to shinny... Maybe a acetone fog/mist..good luck
Aug 06, 2019, 02:59 PM
Hi All,

not sure that I have seen much about this stuff but if it has been covered please just ignore....

Ordering some bits and bobs from HobbyKing and it says "you are just 6.00 away from free shipping" so I threw a 1/2 Kg roll of E-Sun PLA+ into the basket.

Just happened to have some helicopter skids printed in PLA and ABS (also both from E-Sun) lying around so i printed on in PLA + giving 3 identical pieces (even the same colour) which is good for testing, right????

Clamped them onto the bench and just used a piece of aluminium square profile to bend them down until they broke.

PLA normal snapped cleanly at around 20-30 degrees, ABS creased at around 45-60 degrees and the PLA + creased around 10 degrees later. The PLA is snapped, the ABS is ripped and the PLA + folded. No way was this scientific, not even a real test (would have to repeat it to verify results) but may be of interest.

By the way, the stuff prints real easy at 215 degrees, no warping or lifting but comes off the bed (glue stick) easily.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Aug 06, 2019, 04:39 PM
Good info. Especially for structural components. But I guess we all can agree the biggest drawback on any PLA is the extremely low heat resistance. A sunny and hot day can ruin your model easily. If I could focus on new material development I would go to something that is thermally stable after heat treatment/ printing. I don't mean the existing annealing process by boiling the print. Rather some sort of curing/ solvent evaporation (I know - health hazard) during printing that would freeze /stabilize the geometry. I would even find a special compartment for such printer. Just to make sure the print won't melt down in hot day. It is such a waste...
Aug 07, 2019, 01:20 AM
Just as a tip.

I was printing with esun PLA+ for some time. It's a good material considering it's physical specifications, but it's also clogging the nozzle after a certain time.
Changing the nozzle to 0.5mm as pretty much solved this problem.
Aug 07, 2019, 12:13 PM
Team Futaba
Hey guys just wanted to post this interesting density chart that I found. Obviously for what we are doing we want to find the lowest density material that is strong enough to work for what we need and printable in preferably single wall applications.

looks to me like ABS and similar filaments like ASA would be a good place to spend some time with to perfect print settings.
Aug 07, 2019, 05:11 PM
My most flown and best flying printed plane is a Northern Pike in ABS.

Printing planes in ABS is a chore though. One slight temp change in the chamber and you get massive laydr splits.
Aug 07, 2019, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin McGRath
Hey guys just wanted to post this interesting density chart that I found. Obviously for what we are doing we want to find the lowest density material that is strong enough to work for what we need and printable in preferably single wall applications.
looks to me like ABS and similar filaments like ASA would be a good place to spend some time with to perfect print settings.
Unfortunately there is more to a good rc airplane filament than density. Layer adhesion, stiffness are also important factors. In my experience ASA has less than desirable layer adhesion. I wish it was better. flexible wings can be reinforced with carbon tubes. IMHO there is no perfect filament to print rc airplanes... I am patiently waiting for a new "perfect" filament.
Aug 07, 2019, 06:11 PM
I found ABS to work well if you have a "2-perimeter" design approach. Below is an in-flight video of my A330 printed in ABS with a 6kg AUW. I am working on another design currently and have several others in the pipeline using this design approach for ABS.

The landing gear are also printed in ABS and hold up well, except for a FOD incident that did minor damage :P to the nose. Though better a strut to break than the airframe, so I am happy.

3D Printed RC A330-300 Flight #2 - Gusty and Landing Encounter (3 min 52 sec)
Aug 08, 2019, 08:23 AM
I've printed a fair bit with esun pla+ and like it a lot. However, it's not good for single-wall airplane designs. Inter-layer adhesion isn't great and it's way too flexible. That said I've had good luck using it with double walls, but with a small weight penalty over normal pla. I've had no issues with nozzle-clogging.

Quick Reply