Jan 25, 2018, 01:56 PM
Retired CAD guy
Both Push Plastic and MakerGeeks claim that PLA+ is dishwahser safe.
One "presumes" that it's therefore resistant to higher temps.

I have had a bad batch of PLA+ totally disintegrate "ON THE SPOOL" .
It was likely a manufacturing error with their temps or cooling cycle that put
inner stresses into the filament. Or a bad batch of raw PLA+ pellets.

I had that order replaced with PET-G.

FWIW So far ... I'm liking PET-G
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2018, 04:39 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Where do you guys buy the esun abs+? Iīd like to give it a try
Jan 25, 2018, 06:05 PM
Interesting dishwasher safe idea for temp range, I have seen some videos on 'baking' pla to toughen it up but haven't watched any. I saw somewhere (as ever can't find any info anywhere now) that Polymax, similar to Plus had a deformation temp more like ABS (80c?)
I thought of PetG but was worried by the gluing discussions but otherwise sounded good. I will stick with PLAplus for my first try I think, then may be more adventurous. At some future date I may try multorotor models and PetG sounds a good choice for that, robust and good temp handling for motor mounts.

Esun (also called Sunlu) is on Amazon (UK and France), where I will buy from if I do buy. Limited colours but 16.99-18.99 euros for 1kg of PLA, they also do Abs+. I am in France so Amazon.fr good for me.
Jan 25, 2018, 10:01 PM
Retired CAD guy
https://www.intservo.com/products/es...nt=29262182211

I have not actually tried this source
Jan 26, 2018, 04:14 AM
I found Intservo but they also sell via Amazon.com for those in the US of A
Always confusing when manufacturers use different names, Esun makes Sunlu, why not call it esun filament.
I am just looking to buy it for the first time and checking it is worth it. I will need two 1kg rolls, plane (P47) takes 1kg and the other kg for mistakes and learning.
I guess as this is the same price as standard PLA (more or less) I may as well use it and see what happens. At around 20euros to make a plane that size sounds good to me.

I have seen more expensive but the price difference doesen't really reflect how much better it can be. Just better quality control maybe. I did look at the Prusa and Das Filament sites and their filament looks to be wrapped properly on the spools, often a criticism of some that poor wrapping leads to snags.
Jan 26, 2018, 05:35 AM
I've just finished building my printer. Once I have it running with enough precision for 3Dlab models I will try printing a Mig 15 with a HT PLA.
They promise no deforming up to 90 degrees C if you bake it at 80 C after printing.

I bought this PLA: ingeo 3d 850 ht

If it prints ok this should be good enough to be able to transport the plane in a car without the fear of it getting melted.
Jan 26, 2018, 10:35 AM
Decent price, I like the baking bit. Seems strange that it says to bake it higher than it is meant to take but obviously works. This guy did a baking test at 110c and some failed but he did say probably too high.
Bake your PLA and have it outperform everything else! #Filaween (5 min 1 sec)

One thing he mentioned was that it shrank in width but elongated. He was baking chunky parts so thin skinned wing sections may not be affected, worth trying baking one before you do them all.
Seems for the thicker shapes it squeezed them in the middle making them longer. I would guess a thin wall would not shrink much at all, tiny fractions of a mm, so no real ill effects.
Jan 26, 2018, 12:40 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
You can anneal a solid part but you canīt anneal a wing or a fuselage section without deforming it and there is where we need to have the stronger components or has anyone succeeded in baking a wing and assemble it right after the heat treatment?
Jan 26, 2018, 12:43 PM
Retired CAD guy
i BELIEVE IT WAS ELECTRIC-2000 THAT STARTED A must read THREAD.

He Prints kits for sale ,
and I'm pretty sure he was doing 3dlabs Fuse and wings
Jan 26, 2018, 01:22 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
I think I read that thread and if I remember he bakes small parts on the print bed with a kitchen pan over it. Large parts maybe on an oven but you would have to control the temperature very well and bake at a low 60šc or so for several hours.

I doubt that if you bake several wing section they will ever assemble correctly.
Jan 26, 2018, 05:10 PM
Retired CAD guy
That is why I have not attempted it that process.
Jan 30, 2018, 10:22 AM
rip
So... 200+ days into this thread: Do we have an alternative to PLA?
Jan 30, 2018, 01:25 PM
Retired CAD guy
Pet-g
Jan 31, 2018, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derfred
You can anneal a solid part but you canīt anneal a wing or a fuselage section without deforming it and there is where we need to have the stronger components or has anyone succeeded in baking a wing and assemble it right after the heat treatment?
Stupid question: Does the annealing have to be right after printing?

Anyone ever tried to anneal parts that were allready built together?

My planned projekt would be hard to put into the oven as one (MIG 15) but I am printing a GASB One before that as a test object. It has a wingspan of 800mm.
Would putting one wing each into the oven be possible or will it warp uncontrollably?

I really hoped for success with HT PLA but it seems I wasted my money.
Jan 31, 2018, 11:46 AM
Retired CAD guy
Ask electric-2000
Or read his "Must Read" thread.

Quick Reply