Aug 31, 2017, 03:16 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Yes, Gerald, new field.
Please do come! It will be almost like seeing the solar eclipse!

It would be awesome to have you at the event.
Do come for both days.
Remember the good old days...

to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2017, 12:44 PM
It makes sense for me to fly both the 1m contest and the sportsman contest with my 1m Epee since it's the only DLG I have worth flying (at the moment). Competitions cost a lot of time, effort and money to participate in and this one being late in the season is getting the short end of my RC travel budget so it makes sense to get the most out of the event possible =D

Doesn't feel it would be as much fun or productive to just sit around for the sportsman contest when I could at least to attempt to hang and get more stick time. Wouldn't even think of trying the Expert haha, especially with some of the talent currently signed up!

I didn't see a way to sign up on the original form, I also noticed there were ~4 other pilots who were bringing 1m DLG but not signed up for the 1m competition so it seems like the possibility of a good 1m contest is real!

Looking forward to seeing you all in NC in a couple weeks!
Sep 12, 2017, 01:08 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by btreecat
It makes sense for me to fly both the 1m contest and the sportsman contest with my 1m Epee since it's the only DLG I have worth flying (at the moment)...
Andrew (?)
looking forward to meeting you and flying with you!

Just to clear any potential confusion, the main event (Sat/Sun) can be flown only in one category, and you are signed up for the 1-meter category. So you will be one of the 5 brave soles that decided to prove that 1-meter is for real.
There will be a fun-fly 1-meter event on Friday afternoon, which you can and should also participate in
Did you get my email about the AMA membership?
Sep 12, 2017, 01:40 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Andrew (?)
looking forward to meeting you and flying with you!

Just to clear any potential confusion, the main event (Sat/Sun) can be flown only in one category, and you are signed up for the 1-meter category. So you will be one of the 5 brave soles that decided to prove that 1-meter is for real.
There will be a fun-fly 1-meter event on Friday afternoon, which you can and should also participate in
Did you get my email about the AMA membership?
That's Stephen, he has his AMA already and I have been in touch with a couple of others. We need a few more to sign up. Since there are so many 1M planes that have been spoken of in high regards I really expected to see more people signed up to fly 1M Contest.

I hope to attend the fun fly but that will depend on family and traveling partner schedules.
Sep 12, 2017, 02:54 PM
>Just to clear any potential confusion, the main event (Sat/Sun) can be flown only in one category,

Why?

> There will be a fun-fly 1-meter event on Friday afternoon, which you can and should also participate in

That's a work day and as I mentioned this is one of the last competitions of the season so I don't have much time to take off for work If I still want to visit my family for the holidays.

That does bring up another missing feature of the sign up form, no place to link your RCG handle to your sign up to make it easier to follow who is who =D
Last edited by btreecat; Sep 12, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Sep 12, 2017, 03:14 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Quote:
>Just to clear any potential confusion, the main event (Sat/Sun) can be flown only in one category,
Why?
That's how we announced it, and running it the other way would be unfair to those who are coming for the regular HL competition and do not have a 1-meter or are not interested in it.
I sincerely hope that doesn't stop you from attending.
Quote:
That does bring up another missing feature of the sign up form, no place to link your RCG handle to your sign up to make it easier to follow who is who =D
That's not another missing feature and I would argue not a missing feature at all
You can always sign your messages on RCGroups.
I am still only guessing that you are Stephen (?) based on on Paul's remark.
Sep 12, 2017, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=btreecat;38270710]>Just to clear any potential confusion, the main event (Sat/Sun) can be flown only in one category,

Why?

The best reason I can give for one category only is if a few, or several, are flying twice per round it could take extra time per round by adding a flight group to Sportsman or Expert reducing the number of rounds, hence reducing the amount of flying those only flying in one category will have. We will already be adding a flight group if 5 or more want to fly 1m. We are bending as far as we want to at this point.

Dick
Sep 12, 2017, 03:25 PM
>That's how we announced it, and running it the other way would be unfair to those who are coming for the regular HL competition and do not have a 1-meter or are not interested in it.

Could you elaborate on how it would be "unfair?"

If anything it seemingly handicaps me because I am coming in with a lot less launch height and a faster sink rate right?

> I sincerely hope that doesn't stop you from attending.

It doesn't, I'll pull out some FPV wings/ quads or just launch else where. No need to sit idle.

> I am still only guessing that you are Stephen (?) based on on Paul's remark.

If your form had that feature, you wouldn't have to guess =D

Yup, I am he and all my paperwork is in order! Like I said, several competitions this year and they all require AMA.
Last edited by btreecat; Sep 12, 2017 at 03:46 PM.
Sep 12, 2017, 03:37 PM
>The best reason I can give for one category only is if a few, or several, are flying twice per round it could take extra time per round by adding a flight group to Sportsman or Expert reducing the number of rounds, hence reducing the amount of flying those only flying in one category will have.

Those people only flying one category would have the same time regardless right? It would only be the people who bring a 1m who would be able to compete in both, which is less than a 3rd of the pilots. Not all of those pilots would even want to compete in both.

>We will already be adding a flight group if 5 or more want to fly 1m. We are bending as far as we want to at this point.

If those 5 people flew sportsman with their 1m, the math is the same right? So is there an issue with the total number of pilots that this event can support?

I am not sure I am understanding what the issue is.

What's worse, someone flying sportsman and sand bagging it to take home a trophy or someone trying to get more stick time out of a long trip?

I guess I just don't see me or the other 4 pilots only signed up for 1m as a threat to the other classes because physics.

Maybe you can explain it better?
Last edited by btreecat; Sep 12, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Sep 12, 2017, 03:49 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
>The best reason I can give for one category only is if a few, or several, are flying twice per round it could take extra time per round by adding a flight group to Sportsman or Expert reducing the number of rounds, hence reducing the amount of flying those only flying in one category will have.

Those people only flying one category would have the same time regardless right? It would only be the people who bring a 1m who would be able to compete in both, which is less than a 3rd of the pilots. Not all of those pilots would even want to compete in both. Sounds like you might be using hand-wavy math to me.

>We will already be adding a flight group if 5 or more want to fly 1m. We are bending as far as we want to at this point.

If those 5 people flew sportsman with their 1m, the math is the same right? So is there an issue with the total number of pilots that this event can support?

I am not sure I am understanding what the issue is.

What's worse, someone flying sportsman and sand bagging it to take home a trophy or someone trying to get more stick time out of a long trip?

I guess I just don't see me or the other 4 pilots only signed up for 1m as a threat to the other classes because physics.

Maybe you can explain it better?
Because there are a dozen of us who have both 1 and 1.5s, and if we entered in both there would be two flights per round for 20 of us, and only 1 per round for those with only a 1 or only a 1.5.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Sep 12, 2017, 03:59 PM
Team Falcon
I'm not sure that I understand your understanding of the contest format...

Back in olden times (1 or 2 years ago) contests were completely co-mingled among the classes - Expert, Sportsman, Novice. After lengthy and heated debate, it was decided that Sportsmen and Novices should fly in their own task/group to encourage more even competition. At most contests I've been to this works out to 3 or 4 groups, 1 of which is Sportsmen/novice and the rest are expert. Seems to work well. Each group gets the same exact amount of flying time.

I believe the original idea for 1M was to add these entries to the Sportsman/novice group, or if there are enough entries, make an additional group. So, potentially, this might mean 4 or 5 groups, 1 meter, Sportsman/novice, and the rest expert. Still there will be equal flying time if you enter as 1meter or 1.5 meter.

If it is preferred to mix-it-up with the 1.5M, then we can just drop the 1M separate group and integrate back into the fold.

Fewer flight groups = more rounds completed over the course of the contest. So adding 1M group, and then putting 1M into 1.5M groups is essentially taking flight time away from some to give more time to 1M pilots.

I took so long to type this that the conversation has probably moved on.

Jason
Sep 12, 2017, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Because there are a dozen of us who have both 1 and 1.5s, and if we entered in both there would be two flights per round for 20 of us, and only 1 per round for those with only a 1 or only a 1.5.
I count nine based on the people who listed at least 1 1m DLG in the spread sheet. 5 of those only have a 1m. Am I missing 8 more?
Last edited by btreecat; Sep 12, 2017 at 04:20 PM.
Sep 12, 2017, 04:19 PM
> I'm not sure that I understand your understanding of the contest format...

I'm not sure I understand it either, that's why I am here!

They say the fastest way to the right answer on the internet is to post the wrong one! Must work with my comments too hahaha

>Back in olden times (1 or 2 years ago) contests were completely co-mingled among the classes - Expert, Sportsman, Novice. After lengthy and heated debate, it was decided that Sportsmen and Novices should fly in their own task/group to encourage more even competition. At most contests I've been to this works out to 3 or 4 groups, 1 of which is Sportsmen/novice and the rest are expert. Seems to work well. Each group gets the same exact amount of flying time.

I totally understand the logic behind separating classes based on arbitrary and self defined skill levels. However I think adding a 1m class doesn't mean you can't also fly a different class as they are not mutually exclusive with 1m, only to each other.

1m isn't a skills class, it's an aircraft class. Sportsman and experts are skills classes. So if anything, with enough pilots it makes more sense to run 2 classes of 1m. And since there are 9 pilots bringing 1m, that means we could actually do that.

> If it is preferred to mix-it-up with the 1.5M, then we can just drop the 1M separate group and integrate back into the fold.

I guess if it makes it easier to manage who cares about tiers of competition, just drop sportsman too right?

>Fewer flight groups = more rounds completed over the course of the contest. So adding 1M group, and then putting 1M into 1.5M groups is essentially taking flight time away from some to give more time to 1M pilots.

I think I understand what you are saying.

It sounds like it's an issue with time management and that after a certain number of pilots, the event becomes impossible to manage?

Seems like something we can work to improve for next years event.
Sep 12, 2017, 04:19 PM
Closed Account
[QUOTE=DProseus;38270831]
Quote:

Why?

The best reason I can give for one category only is if a few, or several, are flying twice per round it could take extra time per round by adding a flight group to Sportsman or Expert reducing the number of rounds, hence reducing the amount of flying those only flying in one category will have. We will already be adding a flight group if 5 or more want to fly 1m. We are bending as far as we want to at this point.

Dick
Remind me to thank you for allowing us to fly in the event.
Sep 12, 2017, 04:58 PM
Sardonic Curmudgeon
"What's worse, someone flying sportsman and sand bagging it to take home a trophy "

Sorry but that really doesn't happen.
At most contests once you win in Sportsman you automatically become a member of the Expert class, and if you were perceived to be "Sand Bagging" the karma would follow you for years...

Come and fly with us!

Your experience will be filled with fun and a Great time with some of the best DLG pilots in the world.
You will learn more this weekend than you will in 50 weekends flying with just a few guys.

Quick Reply