Oct 10, 2017, 02:16 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfiimei
NOW my trip is complete. Oh, and I found an awesome spot for next year's event...
that looks cool where is that ?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2017, 02:28 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell
that looks cool where is that ?
Wright Memorial at Kill Devil Hill.
Write Memorial
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Oct 10, 2017, 02:48 PM
New at this whole life thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Wright Memorial at Kill Devil Hill.
Write Memorial
With permission.
Oct 10, 2017, 02:58 PM
It's quite a cool place and worth the side trip for those that have never been. So much history. Here I am touching the rail at the point of the first liftoff (and some other pics). Sorry for the off-topic.
Oct 10, 2017, 03:37 PM
launch high, fly low
Good idea to go there!!
Oct 10, 2017, 04:25 PM
[@ Wright Memorial]
Quote:
With permission.
Cool! did they give you a hard time at all when you asked? Inspirational spot. Nearby dunes would probably be great too.
Oct 10, 2017, 04:47 PM
Retirement is good
Nobody notice the launch blade in the left wing of the Wright Flyer ???

Wonderful joint, a must see.

Dick
Oct 10, 2017, 06:00 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpace
[@ Wright Memorial]

Cool! did they give you a hard time at all when you asked? Inspirational spot. Nearby dunes would probably be great too.
We (wife and I) did an annual migration to that area for many years to fly in kite festivals. From what I have been told park rangers are normally really cool with gliders but power planes are not so welcome. We were kite flyers and not RC folks back then.
Oct 10, 2017, 06:02 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
NOW my trip is complete. Oh, and I found an awesome spot for next year's event...
I am so happy for you Mike that you got to fly there.
Oct 10, 2017, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder
I am so happy for you Mike that you got to fly there.
Me too! There were two rangers there at the time; one at the gate and one in the welcome center. The lady at the gate told me which side to fly on and to try to keep it below 100'. I just gave it a couple of light tosses. Still, it was awesome! There were several there flying kites too.
Oct 10, 2017, 08:43 PM
Old Aviator

Explosive good time

Thanks to everyone that played a part in putting this years contest togeather. The air was, as Nathan would say "Contest Conditions"
Congrats Oleg, tuff break Frank, and good job Dave.....Dang I needed 4 more points.....lol
Way to work your way back in the fly-offs Nathan and awesome flying during the final 3 task.
I have to thank Ben for a few thermals I poached off him in some of the middle rounds....(good job reading the tough air.)
Glad to see so many new faces at this years contest, and hope to see you all at future events.

Just one random thought:

When I grow up, I want to Launch like Nathan, fly like Oleg, and stay as calm as Frank.

See ya in Atlanta
Oct 10, 2017, 09:41 PM

To Many To Thank

I was looking forward to having my 20 seconds of airborne fame at this years DESS event. Due to technical difficulties that didn't happen, but the education afforded me by all in attendance was more valuable than hours of reading on the forum or watching on YouTube. Paul, Mickey, Oleg, Jesper, Kyle, Stephen, Frank, Andrew, Brady, Gary, Ben to name a few and so many more. I can't thank you enough. I had a great time and a great leaning experience. I am hooked and hope to attend the Punkin Chunk and see many of you again as I work on my continuing education! Talking the talk in an effort to walk the walk. Best to all.
Oct 11, 2017, 09:41 AM
Thanks all for a great weekend!
Like Mike, Mark, and others said, having the experts help time for sportman and 1m was really helpful. It helped accelerate the contest learning curve/strategy and helped with the "what's the clock saying now, should I launch?!" panic factor, haha. Not to mention, it was an awesome way to get to know folks.

Hope to fly with y'all again soon! ...with an Elf and more!

P.S. Paul is right, there was a lot of tungsten putty in there! It felt odd to pickup at first, ha. I'll need to weigh it but I'm guessing it's close to 150g or more.
Oct 12, 2017, 05:30 AM
Team Falcon
As always, it was a great ECHLGF. The new field is looking good! Thanks to DESS crew for putting together the field and the event - a ton of work in total!

Congrats to all the flyoff pilots - good work, it was not an easy weekend.

Great to see all the regular dudes and dudettes and nice to meet some fresh blood as well.

This was the first contest and a long time where I did not manage a single 1,000 score. The Expert group is not getting easier!

Looking forward to seeing you guys in Georgia soon-

Jason

Quick Reply