East Coast HLG Festival - ECHLGF-2017 - October 6-8, 2017 - Farmville, NC - Page 11 - RC Groups
Sep 25, 2017, 03:57 PM
RCG Admin

Maybe next year : (

Well guys, looks like I'm out for this one. I would love to make it, but my schedule is just not working out. See ya'll next year or at the Punkin Chunk later next month.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2017, 04:01 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Awww, vert sorry to hear this Jason.
Please come next year.
Sep 25, 2017, 04:07 PM
Oleg Golovidov
I know it is not very likely that more pilots plan to sign up, but just in case somebody is able to come at the last minute, do sign up!
Similarly, if you must cancel, please let me know as soon as you can.

The shirts are already ordered, the trophies also..
Both should be showing up in a few days or early next week.

The field is in great shape. The club members have been working very hard at maintaining the grass (or what little of it that we have so far ) and eliminating the population of the ants that felt a bit too comfortable on our field. We are ready for y'all to come and have fun with us in less than 2 weeks now!

Registration is here: ECHLGF registration form
Pilots list is here: ECHLGF pilots
Sep 25, 2017, 08:55 PM
Kyle Clayton
We're getting close! I feel like I just did one of these contest things... will we be throwing knives? I think that's all I remember from the last one

I'll be heading down Friday mid day and should get there in plenty of time to start our "conversion ritual" for the newbies... you know, the ceremony where we slaughter a lamb to the multiple thermal deities we worship and convert the innocent to our extremist form of DLG Don't worry, don't worry, the vast majority of this sacred event will be teaching the heathens how to fly in a contest, strategy to maximize the tasks, and read air/lift. Its not until the last 10 minutes or so that the candles get lit and we circle around the pentagram, so you'll have plenty of time to determine if you want in the club or not See you all soon, and make sure to bring your ouija boards!!
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Sep 26, 2017, 08:36 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Kyle! very glad to hear that you are planning to do the seminar.

I plan to also show up early afternoon on Friday, bring my laptop, printer, sound system of course.
After your seminar (or before) we will see who wants to fly 1m fun-fly event, and I will create a matrix, print score cards, etc.

After we finish the circle dance with holding hands and singing Kumbaya, we go straight into fun-flying and practicing the new thermal reading skills
Sep 26, 2017, 09:49 AM
God Created me to Create
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider
We're getting close! I feel like I just did one of these contest things... will we be throwing knives? I think that's all I remember from the last one

I'll be heading down Friday mid day and should get there in plenty of time to start our "conversion ritual" for the newbies... you know, the ceremony where we slaughter a lamb to the multiple thermal deities we worship and convert the innocent to our extremist form of DLG Don't worry, don't worry, the vast majority of this sacred event will be teaching the heathens how to fly in a contest, strategy to maximize the tasks, and read air/lift. Its not until the last 10 minutes or so that the candles get lit and we circle around the pentagram, so you'll have plenty of time to determine if you want in the club or not See you all soon, and make sure to bring your ouija boards!!
Seriously.....??

I am not sure I am ready for all that. That looks to be way beyond me.
Last edited by The_Builder; Sep 26, 2017 at 12:20 PM.
Sep 26, 2017, 12:39 PM
Kyle Clayton
Well, that's a shame I greatly enjoy hosting it and helping the new/inexperienced folks out

Anyone else that's new to contests I would recommend checking it out if you can so you're not trying to learn it as you go on Saturday.
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Sep 26, 2017, 12:40 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder
Seriously.....??
I am not sure I am ready for all that. That looks to be way beyond me.
I was hoping to see a smiley face next to your comment Paul, indicating that you are joking. I guess not...

What exactly are you not ready for? I hope this is a simple misunderstanding.

You don't have to take part in the seminar. But I hope you do, because it is a very useful thing, and is one of the most valuable experiences for new pilots at a contest, and even for skilled pilots.
During these seminars, Kyle explains all kinds of useful practical things about the plane tune-up, basic contest preparation, what to expect during a contest, what the tasks are about, how best to approach the tasks, how to search for thermals, etc. There was a video link posted earlier from one of these seminars.

Is there anything in particular that you are worried about?
Nobody is going to force anybody to do anything.
It is all just about sharing knowledge, helping new pilots to feel comfortable at a contest. Kyle is really donating a lot of his time and effort to help new pilots. I am quite puzzled by your comment, especially considering that you are "bringing" several new pilots to this contest. Please, explain.
Sep 26, 2017, 12:56 PM
God Created me to Create
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
I was hoping to see a smiley face next to your comment Paul, indicating that you are joking. I guess not...

What exactly are you not ready for? I hope this is a simple misunderstanding.

You don't have to take part in the seminar. But I hope you do, because it is a very useful thing, and is one of the most valuable experiences for new pilots at a contest, and even for skilled pilots.
During these seminars, Kyle explains all kinds of useful practical things about the plane tune-up, basic contest preparation, what to expect during a contest, what the tasks are about, how best to approach the tasks, how to search for thermals, etc. There was a video link posted earlier from one of these seminars.

Is there anything in particular that you are worried about?
Nobody is going to force anybody to do anything.
It is all just about sharing knowledge, helping new pilots to feel comfortable at a contest. Kyle is really donating a lot of his time and effort to help new pilots. I am quite puzzled by your comment, especially considering that you are "bringing" several new pilots to this contest. Please, explain.
The whole thing about "the conversion" and the "convert the innocent to our extremest for of DLG" had a very sarcastic feel to it. Taken in context with a recent thread I started (big mistake) it seemed quite personal.

Kyle, I was actually looking forward to your input in an effort to quit flying in sink all the time. If your "conversion comments" were not directed towards or inspired by some of my past comments I apologize for my misunderstanding.

PS, I don't know Kyle all that well anymore but I should realize he was just trying to be funny and he had no hidden meaning. I am not sure how early we can arrive on Friday but it will be ASAP.
Last edited by The_Builder; Sep 26, 2017 at 01:53 PM.
Sep 26, 2017, 02:08 PM
God Created me to Create
I am not sure anyone would be interested in this or if there would be time but when Kyle is done helping me stay out of sink I would be willing to do a short presentation on launching 1M planes. I have found it to be a bit different from launching a heavier 1.5M plane. It may work for some people who fly bigger planes but it has really helped me with my 1m launches. I brought it over from my golf coaching days.
Sep 26, 2017, 08:07 PM
God Created me to Create
At this point a bunch of us are planning to camp out for this. I always like to have a back up plan and it looks to me like the hotels are all about 30 minutes from the field. Has anyone found something closer? I even considered a hotel in Wilson as an option but for now I am sticking with camping. If the temps keep going down it will be really nice.
Sep 26, 2017, 08:42 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder
I am not sure anyone would be interested in this or if there would be time but when Kyle is done helping me stay out of sink I would be willing to do a short presentation on launching 1M planes. I have found it to be a bit different from launching a heavier 1.5M plane. It may work for some people who fly bigger planes but it has really helped me with my 1m launches. I brought it over from my golf coaching days.
Sounds great to me! I just got a receiver for a Falke that I bought from Oleg

Jesper
Sep 26, 2017, 10:00 PM
Service Engine Soon
There is a bunch of motels in Greenville I map them at about 20 min.
Garry and I plan to help with the scoring and lunch . Maybe I could get a few test flights in on someones plane, if they would throw for me?
Sep 27, 2017, 09:56 AM
God Created me to Create
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Baggs
There is a bunch of motels in Greenville I map them at about 20 min.
Garry and I plan to help with the scoring and lunch . Maybe I could get a few test flights in on someones plane, if they would throw for me?
Hi Brady, I would be happy to have you fly one of my G3's. Thanks for the hotel info my search engine was pushing me way over towards the coast. I will check Greenville.
Sep 27, 2017, 11:49 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Brady, lets put you on the pilots list.
I will launch for you, and I am sure there will be others willing to help.
You can fly one of my planes.