Is the Auto-g2 a good auto gyro to start on? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 28, 2017, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf W.
I don't expect any problems using Dollar tree foam board nor building the fuselage differently.
I'm only a bit worried because DTF is thinner. It is 4mm instead of 6. And it's also supposed to be weaker so the rotor mast might bend.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2017, 03:24 PM
Canteloupeman,

We have used the heck out of Dollar Tree foam to build all kinds of models, including autogyros....and we used it to build a JAG-3 and JAG-4 back in the day. We also built a Mr. Twister by forum member Leadfeather from Dollar Tree foam...all autogyros. So...don't hesitate to use this wonderful and cheap material for your builds. We use and recommend a hot glue gun for fast and strong assembly.

Did you see that RedBaron_RC has a prototype beginner's single rotor autogyro made of Dollar Tree foam board called the ChippyMK1?

No worries with the strength of Dollar Tree foam. The paper glued to both sides adds lots of strength!
Jun 28, 2017, 03:52 PM
Canteloupeman,

Have you had a chance to read the Beginner Autogyro questions and answers? It is a sticky on this forum near the top. I think that would be very helpful for you.

Cheers!
Russ
Jun 28, 2017, 10:54 PM
So I'm a bit confused. Is this part I circled just the end product? Is the fuse below it the part I actually cut out and use?
Jun 29, 2017, 11:18 AM
The piece just below your circle is the flat, or horizontal piece with horizontal stabilizer. It has slots cut out that receive the top vertical piece that includes the mast and vertical fin , and the bottom vertical piece that is the fuselage bottom. These pieces both have tabs that fit in the slots of the horizontal piece. This type of construction adds rigidity to the fuselage.

Yes, the circled area is a side view of the assembled fuselage. The pieces below the circle are the pieces you cut out and assemble.
Last edited by rus1; Jun 29, 2017 at 11:25 AM.
Jun 29, 2017, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rus1
The piece just below your circle is the flat, or horizontal piece with horizontal stabilizer. It has slots cut out that receive the top vertical piece that includes the mast and vertical fin , and the bottom vertical piece that is the fuselage bottom. These pieces both have tabs that fit in the slots of the horizontal piece. This type of construction adds rigidity to the fuselage.

Yes, the circled area is a side view of the assembled fuselage. The pieces below the circle are the pieces you cut out and assemble.
Okay thanks!
Jun 29, 2017, 01:18 PM
I have been flying for 40+ years giant scale and helicopters. To fly the auto gyros you have to use the rudder, easier for heli guy we use rudder all the time. An auto gyro is not a yank and bank aircraft if that how you fly you will crash. Rudder has to be used, keep turn flat, in a little time you will get used to it. Mine will slow down to a crawl, some landing in good wind will land will little or no roll out. Most who crash on take off is because of low head speed, on take off roll ease the power up keep it straight into the wind most will take off on there own or just a touch of elevator. I found a schluter whopper can wait to fly it. good luck. Cliff
Jun 30, 2017, 02:18 PM
Ralf i downloaded the original tiled plans but jsut recently i tried printing the tiled vertical fuse stab and realized it was alot bigger than the original tiled plans. Whats up with that? Are my tiled plans not actual scale or something?
Jun 30, 2017, 09:46 PM
a.k.a. Pork Chop
Hi guys,

I've been flying for years when I bought the G2, my first autogyro. It was easy to fly however turning onto final it slowed to much and augered in, I should have kept the speed up and used the rudder. It was one of the funnest aircraft I've flown and overall it was quite easy (to me). I still plan to rebuild her and get back in the air using blades from Flying Balsa.
Jul 02, 2017, 11:14 PM
The DT foam is okay...and it's been a while, but I think I recall the pieces are glued together as you say. On mine, I finally got smart and glued a carbon fiber rod from the top of the rotor mast all the way to the bottom of the fuselage. After that about the only thing that didn't break anymore was the mast! The overall design is really very basic and can be modified in all sorts of ways to make it a little more robust...the landing gear needed attention as I recall. If I were doing another one, I'd try to find some of that tough, flexible foam (name?) to use instead of the DT stuff. I think I'd also run a stiffening rod down the center of the fuselage...but I'm too lazy to build anything and enjoy just flying my G-2.