Chrysalis-Lite.....new kid on the F3-RES block! - RC Groups
Jun 23, 2017, 09:13 AM
DJ Aerotech
New Product

Chrysalis-Lite.....new kid on the F3-RES block!

The “Chrysalis-Lite” comes from a long line of successful radio controlled sailplanes. It has as it’s direct ancestors the original 1.5 meter HLG Chrysalis, as well as the 1.5 meter Electric; but it is a new design with many novel features of it’s own.

The Chrysalis-Lite was created with two primary goals in mind:

1. We wanted an easy to build kit, easy to fly, yet very high performance sailplane consisting primarily of wood parts, with a few carbon components in the highly stressed areas.

2. It must comply with the rules of a new competition class called ‘F3-RES”. This class started in Europe. To summarize, the requirement is for a basic wood kit (with allowance for carbon components in specific areas) of 2 meter wingspan, maximum, to be launched by way of a high start with very specific properties. The primary one being a maximum “pull” of 8.8 pounds (4 kgs).

One of the challenges of this class of sailplane is keeping the weight to an absolute minimum, while maintaining adequate structure to handle the launch, and all flight requirements.

The biggest challenges to weight reduction are the variations caused by using a natural product as the main component of a kit: WOOD. The density of wood, either balsa OR basswood, varies GREATLY...and that difference can make or break a kit designed for this class of competition. Wood of too low density may not have the strength required to handle a load, while high density wood can easily result in a sailplane that is simply too heavy to get the most out it’s performance capabilities.

To minimize that effect, we make the most use of laser cutting capabilities to create “lightening holes” in all of the wood components. The shape, size and placement of which are very specifically designed to allow the part to carry the load induced, with an absolute minimum of excess material that is not contributing to that load carrying capability. For example our wing sheeting, all pre-cut 1/64” plywood, has a very specific lightening hole pattern (“Isometric truss”) which does exactly that…..removes all material that is not directly contributing to the structure. It allows us to use a material with very consistent density to it’s maximum potential, while getting rid of the “dead weight”.

The pod and boom fuselage provides minimum "wetted area", a significant drag reduction. The pod portion incorporates our recognizable "shallow nose" look.....again, a significant drag reducer during thermalling turns.

To make our kit fast and easy to build, we have incorporated many “interlocking” structures. For example, both the stabilizer and the ruddervators are assembled dry…..placed flat on your assembly table, and the joints glued with the part in that position…..literally self-aligning with no need to assemble over the plans! The pod and the wing have similar features which greatly reduce the “time to assemble”.

Other features include:

*Fully adjustable tow hook. To adjust, simply loosen the two locking screws on the outer surface of the assembly, slide the assembly to the new position, and re-tighten the screws. Extremely fast and simple adjustment!

*Hollow, basswood nose block for optimum positioning of nose weight.

*Pod and boom construction for fast and accurate assembly, and optimum strength to weight ratio.

*Many pre-fabricated parts, including pre-shaped/tapered ruddervator leading and trailing edges, tow hook, control system components.

*Rib shapes include compensation for sag in covering material.

*Diagonal wing bracing to eliminate the need for extensive wing sheeting and associated weight and labor.

*Pre-shaped and notched wing trailing edges, and dowel leading edges for accuracy and ease of assembly.

*2 full size plan sheets and a step-by-step, photo illustrated assembly manual.

*Central spoiler for glide path control.

Our equipment recommendation:

3 each-4.5 to 5.5 gram servos (rudder, elevator, spoiler)

Full range mini receiver

2-cell 1000mah Li-poly battery (max. thickness .50" x max. width 1.32")

Voltage regulator if required

We recommend "Lite" covering for minimum weight/maximum performance.

Specs:

Wingspan: 78.6" (2 meters)
Wing Area: 583.15 square inches (4.05 sq.ft.)
Fuselage Length: 48.75" (1.238 meters)
Weight: 14.5 to 15.0 average (411 to 425 grams) (Depending on equipment & covering options)
Wing Loading: 3.58 to 3.70 oz/sq.ft.

Price: $180

Visit www.djaerotech.com for more info.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2017, 09:34 AM
Let me add, Joe and I are in agreement that this is the sweetest handling airplane we have come up with yet. And that goes all the way back to 1992.

Even if you are not into competition, this is a wonderful sport model, and a joy to fly.
Jun 23, 2017, 12:12 PM
Don,

Looks very nice. Can you tell us what airfoil section(s) are used?
Jun 23, 2017, 12:56 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceskier
Don,

Looks very nice. Can you tell us what airfoil section(s) are used?
I'd bet it's one of their in-house sections. Don & Joe have spent a lot of time developing their own airfoils.
Jun 23, 2017, 01:16 PM
Oh no... sorry, but that question is one of my "pet peeves".

The fact is that the airfoil section(s) is only one parameter out of a fairly large list of important parameters, that have very complex interactions with each other. The particulars of any one of those parameters (including airfoil(s)) outside of the context of all of those other parameters is pretty meaningless.

Furthermore, the needs for airfoil properties are different for the root vs the mid-span vs the tip, and therefore it makes sense that the airfoil should vary along the span of the wing.

When I design a wing, the LAST thing I define are the airfoils. First I will start with a brief study of airfoil properties in the Reynolds number regime of where I expect to be operating, just to refresh my memory, but then I go through a preliminary design analysis of the mission profile, and at the same time a planform analysis of the wing, playing those two against each other, and including the effects of variations in airspeed along the span during turns, etc.

One result of the planform analysis is a map of lift coefficients along the span at various flight conditions (including turns), as well as the aerodynamic twist required (which is not the same as the geometric twist the wing will be built with). From that I can evaluate the required airfoil properties at key locations along the wing, and from that develop individual sections for each location.

In the case of the Chrysalis family there are typically three different baseline airfoil sections at key points along the span, with non-linear blending in between them. I do try to keep them within the same family of airfoils so that their overall design philosophy is consistent with adjacent sections, so they will work together with each other as a team. In the case of the Chrysalis sailplanes I typically use airfoils derived from the DS6082 family, a proprietary family of sections I developed mainly looking for minimum drag with good lift coefficients.

Yes, I do consider various "public domain" sections, but so far I have always been able to get better performance in a given application by using my own proprietary sections.

Oh, BTW, that designation "DS6082" contains exactly zero indication of the family's geometry or aerodynamic properties.

After I have the airfoils and other parameters designed, I then design the wing's detailed structure. Finally, once that is done, if it is a built-up open framework wing, I take the different segments of each individual rib and, using a procedure I developed, add compensations to the shape of each segment to compensate for the effects of covering sag. If you look at a typical open-framework wing, you will see that due to covering sag, the airfoil shape at the ribs is significantly different in between the ribs. However, if you look a little closer you will see that roughly 80% of the surface in between the ribs is at a relatively constant airfoil shape. By bulging the ribs outward in each open bay, I can lift that 80% in the middle up to something that is very close to the desired nominal airfoil shape.

Doing it right typically requires separate corrections to three or four segments of each individual rib, so yes, it is extremely tedious and requires a huge amount of engineering effort. However, it pays off in the performance of the plane. When you buy one of our kits, part of what you are paying for is the value of that sort of engineering attention to detail.
Jun 23, 2017, 03:09 PM
Cheers guys looks great !

The pod and boom electric kit is for this kit correct?

Joon
Jun 23, 2017, 04:12 PM
DJ Aerotech
Joon, sorry, that's not correct.
The 1.5 meter pod and boom pod, tail, and boom are totally different. It is a completely different aircraft.
We will be coming out with an electrified version of the "Lite", but it is "down the road" a bit.
Joe
DJA
Jun 23, 2017, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4you
Joon, sorry, that's not correct.
The 1.5 meter pod and boom pod, tail, and boom are totally different. It is a completely different aircraft.
We will be coming out with an electrified version of the "Lite", but it is "down the road" a bit.
Joe
DJA
I see, my bad, I probably wasn't looking closely enough at the description.

Regardless the model looks great. Placing order soon ! My build log needs to reorganized now
Jun 23, 2017, 06:36 PM
Don and Joe, thanks for putting the time and effort into the Chrysalis lite! Glad that there's a competitive F3 res in the USA​! Ray
Jun 23, 2017, 07:15 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse
Let me add, Joe and I are in agreement that this is the sweetest handling airplane we have come up with yet. And that goes all the way back to 1992.

Even if you are not into competition, this is a wonderful sport model, and a joy to fly.
Would really like to see some more pictures of the plane from different angles posted here. Very intriguing plane with nice looks and numbers. My first thought was the V-tail looked too small but I know darn good and well you guys know how to make a plane and a V-tail.
Jun 23, 2017, 08:47 PM
DJ Aerotech

A few more pics

All we have right now....
Jun 23, 2017, 08:49 PM
DJ Aerotech
Video here:
Chrysalis-Lite F3-RES (1 min 22 sec)
Jun 23, 2017, 09:10 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
I had an opportunity to see this sailplane up close and in person at Wood Crafters 2017 earlier this month. I was able to talk with Don and Joe about their design and I got to see it fly. I was very impressed. The fit and finish of the airframe was top notch. Don shared with me some of the reasoning behind the fuselage design and we talked about the airfoils on the wing and the tail. Yep, you heard that correctly, the tails are designed with airfoils to compensate for covering sag just like the main wing. The lightning holes in the wing are a thing of beauty, no simple round holes here, but honeycomb shaped cutouts. Every design element in this new design has a purpose and it also looks great at the same time.

I also got to launch this sailplane for Joe from John's OneWinch. There was a modest breeze and the plane went laser straight up the line. I took a mere 6 steps back to achieve a full launch from the OneWinch. There was zero wing flex on the launch. The plane flew effortlessly and was able to turn tightly without losing altitude. The flying characteristics reminded me of a DLG, very precise, able to move into the wind and landed right where he wanted it. Oh yea, as Joe was coming in to land I mentioned that I had a landing tape out and at the last moment he decided to try for a landing. The single center spoiler set the Chrysalis Lite down right on the pin. Seriously, the nose was within an inch of the pin.

Whether you are a serious contest pilot or just a weekend flyer like me, the new Chrysalis Lite will put a smile on your face. I took a few pictures of it and have posted them below.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Jun 23, 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Jun 23, 2017, 09:58 PM
supreme being of leisure
looks like the same wing as the 1.5M with an extra 0.5M flat panel in the middle?
Jun 23, 2017, 10:06 PM
Chad. Registered User
Seeing the pod & boom, with the 2 meter wing span gives the whole plane a DJ Aerotech "Spectre" look, in my opinion. No question this will be the best woodie from DJA to date.