SoaringModels Mini Dart Gets an Update - RC Groups

SoaringModels Mini Dart Gets an Update

SoaringModels has a compelling little DLG called the Mini Dart. The original version was a fiberglass model, but they gave it a makeover and now feature two layups (light or strong) in carbon with a hot new trim scheme available in a wide color range.

Splash

Mini DLG's are on the Rise

Mini DLG's, commonly referred to as the 1M class are gaining in popularity within the DLG community. These planes are smaller and easier to transport than their larger 1.5M sized big brothers, but they can perform nearly as well. Dollar for dollar, Mini DLG's present a better value, especially for first time hand launch pilots and those who don't want to compete, although more and more contests are offering a 1M class to enter now.

SoaringModels has a compelling little DLG called the Mini Dart. The original version was a fiberglass model, but they gave it a makeover and now feature two layups (light or strong) in carbon with a hot new trim scheme available in a wide color range. The wings and tails are made of a polystyrene core with a carbon fiber spar and covered in carbon. The cores are cut on a CNC for precision and quality and the surface looks great in the photos. The bottom wing has cutouts for the aileron servos and the fuse will hold your receiver, rudder/elevator servos and a 300mAH receiver battery. It's a nice update at a great price and you can get the plane in orange, green, yellow, blue, red, pink or violet. The light version is $260 and the strong is $255.

Check out the SoaringModels Mini Dart Light Version here

Check out the SoaringModels Mini Dart Strong Version here

Jun 24, 2017, 08:18 AM

Mini Dart in Australia

Hi Jason, I did not know of the new mini darts.

After buying 5 E-Flite UMX Whipit DLG 's and flying a few longshot 4 DLG's I bought a Mini Dart from my good friends at Modelflight.

Here is what I bought today and please don't think I'm advertising bla bla but is this the original version?

https://www.modelflight.com.au/glide...g-kit-red.html

I have not found a RCGroups thread on this model.

Are you using 1s lipo with 1s suitable servos or using a 1s step up converter to go to 5volts?

Any help much appreciated.
Jun 24, 2017, 11:58 AM
RCG Staff
Yes that's the original one. I don't have one, but I would go with a 1S battery and servos that can handle that.
Jun 24, 2017, 10:30 PM
Built one, quality of my kit was low average, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.
Not trying to bash, just sharing my experience.
Jun 25, 2017, 02:03 AM
Unfortunately, I totally agree. Mine were also below average. At the time, it was called the "cheaper." It was cheaper, but so was the build quality. I bought two and got hosed. There was also absolutely no support at all for the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
Built one, quality of my kit was low average, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.
Not trying to bash, just sharing my experience.
Jun 25, 2017, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchirrick
Unfortunately, I totally agree. Mine were also below average. At the time, it was called the "cheaper." It was cheaper, but so was the build quality. I bought two and got hosed. There was also absolutely no support at all for the model.
Hi all, I'm very confused. My kit is amazing quality and the pre made alignment threads of the main wing and elevator is very very close to being perfect.

Please see my pictures and please tell me your bad experience with this model........so far i am very impressed and quite experienced in fully molded DLG's both carbon and fiberglass.

Thanks for your help.
Jun 25, 2017, 09:37 AM
First joined Sep 2001
I know all about getting hosed. I bought an Epee dlg recently for $436, not cheap, and it was rubbish.

The quality of the Darts pictured looks good, and for only $329 that's good value all things considered

Bm.
Jun 25, 2017, 10:12 AM
Maybe it was just bad luck. I bought two models. I think it was the first version which was the cheaper. The pod was really small. It was extremely difficult to install all the electronics needed. After installing, it needed so much weight up front to cg, the pod was maxed out for space. So much, that the nose cone would not fit. The tails were very soft and did not last long on either plane. The booms were also weak and both broke behind the pod i believe because of the weight up front. It simply couldn't handle a launch with that much weight up front. The pods simply sheared off from the force of the launch. The wings were also weak and both eventually folded on launch. Keep in mind, these were not my first dlgs. I have never had the same problems with any other dlgs i have owned, and i have owned many. Maybe my models were the first iteration?. Maybe just bad luck? Overall, it was just a frustrating experience with both.
Not trying to bash the model, just sharing my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dehover
Hi all, I'm very confused. My kit is amazing quality and the pre made alignment threads of the main wing and elevator is very very close to being perfect.

Please see my pictures and please tell me your bad experience with this model........so far i am very impressed and quite experienced in fully molded DLG's both carbon and fiberglass.

Thanks for your help.
Jun 26, 2017, 07:33 AM
Aurora Builder
The carbon mini dart looks like a solid kit. Is the wing molded?

Other players in this space besides the Go Mini include the Strike 2 Pro and Strike 3 for about the same price (300 euros plus shipping).

https://fredmodelisme.com/en/glider-...trike-f3k.html
Jun 26, 2017, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchirrick
Maybe it was just bad luck. I bought two models. I think it was the first version which was the cheaper. The pod was really small. It was extremely difficult to install all the electronics needed. After installing, it needed so much weight up front to cg, the pod was maxed out for space. So much, that the nose cone would not fit. The tails were very soft and did not last long on either plane. The booms were also weak and both broke behind the pod i believe because of the weight up front. It simply couldn't handle a launch with that much weight up front. The pods simply sheared off from the force of the launch. The wings were also weak and both eventually folded on launch. Keep in mind, these were not my first dlgs. I have never had the same problems with any other dlgs i have owned, and i have owned many. Maybe my models were the first iteration?. Maybe just bad luck? Overall, it was just a frustrating experience with both.
Not trying to bash the model, just sharing my experience.
Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience with this model.

I will build it and work up to a proper hard hand launch and report back.

I have seen many dlg's break in many places but it is probably 90% build attention from the builder and pilot flying bad that had made them break.

I truly hope if i learn as much as I can about this model I may be able to avoid those problems.

If it is a design problem I guess I will find out?
Jun 26, 2017, 10:14 AM
A reluctant beekeeper ...
1) With regard to finger dings/dent, do polystyrene cores hold up as well as other typical core materials?

2) Are the control surfaces and hinge lines faced?

Woody
Jun 26, 2017, 10:27 AM
Aurora Builder
Polystyrene = blue foam or pink foam (extruded polysterene, not the white expanded stuff which isn't smooth enough to build a wing). My solid core wings to date have been built in XPS, and LD Models used it for years. The first Validols were also XPS cored, as were pretty much all bagged planes back in the day. My experience is a light 25 psi XPS wing with carbon skins is fairly dent resistant, but the equivalent in Rohacell is more so and a little bit more friendly to build with as its CA tolerant, so use epoxy instead for control horns and throwing blades. For a 1M model, I think it has a lot of merits as it is lighter than Rohacell, and substantially cheaper.

None of the hinge lines appear pre-faced in the photos. I don't think its required at this scale but it would help.
Jun 26, 2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the thorough explanation, Sam.

Woody
Jun 26, 2017, 10:52 AM
God Created me to Create
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower_City_Woody
1) With regard to finger dings/dent, do polystyrene cores hold up as well as other typical core materials?

2) Are the control surfaces and hinge lines faced?

Woody
Woody, to add to what Sam posted. There is also different grades of foam. Many people these days are using a 25psi foam to keep things light. I simply can't do it. To me it is too fragile, just handling the cores can put dents and dings in them. I typically use HL40 which is a 40psi foam. I have also used HL60 but in many cases it really not needed.
Jun 26, 2017, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Paul.

The extra information is appreciated as I'm still learning about composite construction. Hopefully, others can use/learn from this information, too.

The build quality, durability and performance of my Epee is fantastic. If SoaringModels used similar materials and construction techniques for the Mini Dart, I would expect similar quality and durability.

Woody