Official 2018 F3F USA Team Selection Event - 2018 F3F Worlds - Rugen, Germany - RC Groups
Jun 22, 2017, 11:19 AM
Contest

Official 2018 F3F USA Team Selection Event - 2018 F3F Worlds - Rugen, Germany

Attention all USA F3F Pilots!!

SCSR is please to announce the official details for the US Team selection event for the 2018 F3F World Championships that will be held in Rugen, Germany in October of 2018.

The AMA has approved the bid by Southern California Slope Racing to host the US Team selection event this August, 2017.

The event will be held at Point Fermin & White Point (pending availability) on the coast in San Pedro, CA.

Contest Details:

Day 1: August 18th @ Point Fermin.
Day 2: August 19th @ White Point.
Day 3: August 20th @ Point Fermin.

The contest will conclude once 20 rounds have been completed or at the end of competition rounds on day 3, whichever happens first. We will do our very best to complete the 20 rounds as quickly and efficiently as possible. The top 3 pilots will represent the US Team along w/ 2 alternates.

Participation Requirements:

To participate in the team selection event you must be a current AMA member in good standing and pay a $20 program fee, as well as a $150 finals fee to the AMA. The program entry forms are attached to this post. No other requirements necessary to participate, as there are no further qualifications for this event.

*****NOTE - You MUST be completely registered and paid in full by August 3rd, 2017 - No exceptions!*****

Contest Detail:

Sheldon "Sandy" Smith was kind enough to agree to be our Contest Director for the event and we are very appreciative and excited to have him
run the contest. A very BIG thank you to Sandy for his time and commitment to the community.

Contest Director : Sheldon "Sandy" Smith
Contest Organizer : Brandon Monte
Contest Start times: To be announced.

Helpers Needed!!

We need helpers to work the bases for this event on all three days. Pilots in a team selection event are not permitted to man the bases. Base workers can expect some compensation for time spent working the event, including the coverage of lunches and hydration. A few may get provisions for hotel rooms to stay in the area. Please let us know if you are available to help with the event.

We hope everyone can come join us in this event and help us choose our next US Team!

Brandon Monte
President - SCSR
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2017, 08:28 PM
I'm your huckleberry
I'm in, This will be a fun weekend.
Jun 22, 2017, 10:19 PM
Awesome. In

WD sub30
Jun 22, 2017, 11:03 PM
In, going to be a blast!
Jun 23, 2017, 03:39 AM
Team USA F3F Member
You betcha!!!
Jun 24, 2017, 06:54 PM
Detail Freak
I'm glad that the payment deadline is Aug 3, I might be able to attend if I am not going to miss OT at work Aug 18-20.
Right now, I have work scheduled those days. I should know better by the 3rd though.

R,
Target
Jun 26, 2017, 11:48 AM

places to stay

hi

hotels in the local area are very high in price. so were are lower priced hotels located?

also is this going to be held at two different locations?

thanks
Jun 26, 2017, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack5
hi

hotels in the local area are very high in price. so were are lower priced hotels located?

also is this going to be held at two different locations?

thanks
Here ya go:

Day 1: August 18th @ Point Fermin.
Day 2: August 19th @ White Point.
Day 3: August 20th @ Point Fermin.
Jun 26, 2017, 01:34 PM
I am in,
Jul 01, 2017, 01:25 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
I wouldn't miss it!
Jul 04, 2017, 08:36 PM

About that "Sandy" guy...

Brandon's been after me to provide an "intro" so here it is. I go by either Sheldon or "Sandy" (either is fine), and I'm your CD for the 2018 F3F US Team Select event. I live in NorCal (Foresthill), and regularly CD monthly NCSS F3F races. Not that any of them are "local" for me...Ft Ross is a 4 hour drive, and Thornton is almost as bad, although The Slot isn't too bad a trip. I've traveled to the NATs, to Perris, to Lost Hills, or wherever to volunteer for Soaring, I don't fly "F", to be honest, I'm not willing to put in the time to be good enough (assuming I could of course) or the $$$ necessary (any inexpensive planes in your hangar?); for that matter, the only flying I'm doing is limited and for my own fun (for the same reasons)...BUT, I am VERY passionate about Soaring and being a CD for Soaring events is one way I can contribute something back. I've been a Soaring "helper" for 20+ years, volunteering at the NATs, CDing or Scoring our local TD and ALES events, CDing or Scoring F3B Team Selects, CDing or Scoring the Gator/Gator West F3B World Cub events for the past 3 years, and now CDing the 2018 F3F Team Select event in SoCal.

It's an honor to be asked to CD such an important event, and I pledge to do my absolute best to make it a "contest" for all. By that I mean that the contest will be executed in rapid sequence, and in a manner that ensures all pilots have an equal opportunity to earn a position on the US Team. We want to send the very best Team we can field to represent the US, and US F3F Soaring, to the WC! My job, is pretty easy, if you all work with me (and I expect you all to do so)...Be prepared to launch when called, check your equipment thoroughly BEFORE you’re called up, take a deep breath, launch, and fly it like you stole it! Then...Get it back on the ground quickly and safely so the next pilot can have his opportunity! While our event is governed by the AMA and FAI rules, I also have my own "CD rules"...Be ready, fly fast, fly safe, have fun, then repeat!

We are all passionate about Soaring, or we wouldn't be at the US Team Select, whether as a contestant, volunteer (my thanks now, we can't do it without you), or a spectator. Let's all contribute as we can to make the 2018 F3F US Team Select one of the events to be remembered...For the level of competition, the fun, and the opportunity to participate in such an event!

Good air to you all!

Sandy Smith
CD - 2018 F3F Team Select
Jul 08, 2017, 01:27 PM

2018 F3F Team Selection Registration is OPEN

The 2018 F3F US Team Selection Event has been created on F3x Vault and is now OPEN for registration!

NOTE: You MUST be registered (Brandon has posted the forms in this thread) and paid-in-full, with the AMA, before August 3rd in order to participate!

Lastly...We REALLY need some of the Soaring community to step up as volunteers for this event! This is a US Team Select...C'Mon out, show your support, by volunteering! Whether you fly ALES, TD, B, J, whatever...It's all Soaring! Don't depend on "the other guy" doing it...You can contact either Brandon or myself directly if you have any questions.

Sandy Smith
CD - 2018 F3F US Team Selection Event
Jul 16, 2017, 01:54 PM

2018 F3F US Team Select Registration

All pilots intending to compete at the 2018 F3F US Team Select must be registered and fully paid-up with AMA (Colleen Pierce) by August 3rd. We'd also appreciate it if you would register your event entry at f3xvault.com prior to the event.

We're still looking for volunteers, primarily as turn judges at the bases, although we may need a few "traffic monitors" as well. If you can donate a few hours of your time, it would go a long way towards helping us to have a smooth and efficient event. You can contact either myself or Brandon Monte if you can assist.

Sandy Smith - CD
Aug 02, 2017, 12:48 PM
All pilots and volunteers,

The current status of the 2018 F3F US Team Select is:

The registration period is winding down, and if you intend to compete for a spot on TeamUSA for the 2018 F3F Wold Championships, you MUST have your registration submitted to Colleen Pierce at AMA headquarters prior to the close of her business day on Aug 3rd. Any registrations received after COB on Aug 3rd will be considered late and will be declined.

We will be setting the course early Friday morning (08/18). Once set, the course will be closed to ALL flying prior to the start of the 1st round of the contest. If you need trim or familiarization flights, you will need to do it PRIOR to the course being set.

This is the event that will select the pilots that will represent the US at the 2018 F3F World Championships, and at this time, none of the Soaring community has stepped forward to volunteer their time for this event. Seriously??? IMO, the pilots competing for a spot on TeamUSA should be concentrating on flying, they shouldn't have to do anything else! If you were one of those pilots, isn't that what you'd want? As it stands now, with no volunteers, we are going to have to ask the pilots to do double duty, both flying and pushing buttons at the bases. So what's wrong with this picture???...For ANY contest, a pilot should be able to concentrate on the contest in order to do their best, and especially for a major event such as the US Team Select! PLEASE give a few hours of your weekend and come on out to help us select the best possible Team to represent US! Brandon and I hope that some folks will step up and help us!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact either Brandon Monte, the Event Organizer, or myself (CD).

Regards,

Sandy Smith - CD
2018 F3F US Team Select
Aug 02, 2017, 02:38 PM
I'm your huckleberry
I have a nephew who has agreed to help out. Possibly for the full 3 days. I still need to confirm his commitment, and dates, as he has joined the Navy, and is waiting for his date to start boot camp. I will see if I can get anyone else to help.

Bob