Jun 22, 2017, 12:56 AM
Thread OP

Thunder Power Adrenaline 1800mAh - false rated capacity?

I got two of these from getfpv.com. They moderate their reviews, so I'm a little disappointed they're not posting it.

http://www.getfpv.com/thunder-power-...o-battery.html

In real flight, I'm only able to get 1400-1500mAh from the thunder power. I got turnigy 1800mAh and I got indestructable quad 1500mAh. They all pull correct rating.

Since it seems the capacity is severely overstated, I inquired at getFPV. I get this reply instead, which tells me to operate my batteries down to 3.3V (yeah, that's a great idea!), and tells me to buy better batteries. Honestly, I expect the battery to work with a 90A blip to the throttle but it failed that test.

So to call their bluff, I discharged the battery with my Lipo charger to ~3.2-3.3V. Then charged it back up to full. Guess what, 1615mAH.

And I don't expect battery capacity to go up by 20% with more charge cycles (aka break-in!). I already did 3-4 cycles.

Response from getFPV:

I do not believe your batteries are defective.

For a LiPo, 3.5v is the lowest I personally recommend draining a battery under load.
However, you can drain a LiPo to 3.3v at minimum and this is the value that is used when determining the capacity.
If you are pulling 90A I would recommend you use higher C rated batteries such as R-Line or Lumenier 95C batteries.
You are maxing out both the Thunder Power and the Turnigy batteries.

You also need to take into account that a graphene battery will perform much differently than a non-graphene battery.
Graphenes tend to recover to higher voltages after further draining. They also perform better (less sag) at their maximum current output than a non-graphene.

Did you cycle the battery? You should always cycle Thunder Power batteries as they will perform more consistently once cycled a few times.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2017, 01:54 AM
See : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5044

Wayne
Jun 22, 2017, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Well, I went from 1500mAh to 1600mAh when I lowered the discharge voltage from 3.7 to 3.3

Given the linear extrapolation (which is already too optimistic), I'd expect less than 1700 at 3V. So, still under rated.

My other batteries always give me rated capacity at 3.65V.
Jun 22, 2017, 08:34 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
When I want to spend $75 on a $25 battery, I always buy thunderpower!
Jun 22, 2017, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
Yeah seriously what the heck right?

Are all of the people who promote thunder power shills?

Getfpv still is censoring *ahem, moderating* my review it seems.
Jun 22, 2017, 09:27 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
They USED to be the go to brand and highly regarded. Max amps is another highly over priced lipo for what you get IMHO.
Jun 23, 2017, 04:26 PM
Hittin Gaps With D Gains
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarper
I got two of these from getfpv.com. They moderate their reviews, so I'm a little disappointed they're not posting it.

http://www.getfpv.com/thunder-power-...o-battery.html

In real flight, I'm only able to get 1400-1500mAh from the thunder power. I got turnigy 1800mAh and I got indestructable quad 1500mAh. They all pull correct rating.

Since it seems the capacity is severely overstated, I inquired at getFPV. I get this reply instead, which tells me to operate my batteries down to 3.3V (yeah, that's a great idea!), and tells me to buy better batteries. Honestly, I expect the battery to work with a 90A blip to the throttle but it failed that test.

So to call their bluff, I discharged the battery with my Lipo charger to ~3.2-3.3V. Then charged it back up to full. Guess what, 1615mAH.

And I don't expect battery capacity to go up by 20% with more charge cycles (aka break-in!). I already did 3-4 cycles.

Response from getFPV:

I do not believe your batteries are defective.

For a LiPo, 3.5v is the lowest I personally recommend draining a battery under load.
However, you can drain a LiPo to 3.3v at minimum and this is the value that is used when determining the capacity.
If you are pulling 90A I would recommend you use higher C rated batteries such as R-Line or Lumenier 95C batteries.
You are maxing out both the Thunder Power and the Turnigy batteries.

You also need to take into account that a graphene battery will perform much differently than a non-graphene battery.
Graphenes tend to recover to higher voltages after further draining. They also perform better (less sag) at their maximum current output than a non-graphene.

Did you cycle the battery? You should always cycle Thunder Power batteries as they will perform more consistently once cycled a few times.
How did you test the amount of capacity you're drawing, and under what circumstances and parameters? The only accurate way to get the actual claimed capacity is to charge the battery up to 4.2 volts, and since it's an 1800mah battery you would then discharge it at 1.8amps, or 1c down to 3.0 volts under room temperature. Discharging at lower temperatures or at higher than a 1c rate down to 3 volts will not be accurate when it comes to measuring actual battery capacity.
Jun 23, 2017, 06:14 PM
Space Coast USA
Battery manufacturers standard discharge rate is C/5. Some R/C packs can provide the stated mah at higher rates, many can't.
Jun 23, 2017, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
I discharged the battery to 3.2V at C/4 in my charger (hit the charger cutoff)

Then charged it to full at 1C.
Jun 23, 2017, 11:24 PM
Thread OP
Also I live in coastal California, so it's not due to cold ambient environments. And the 3.0V argument doesn't fly given the linear extrapolation.

In any case, why do other batteries provide rated capacity at 3.6-3.7V? Did their marketing forget to sell the product correctly?
Jun 24, 2017, 06:41 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
When I want to spend $75 on a $25 battery, I always buy thunderpower!
Tru dat!
Jun 24, 2017, 02:33 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Years ago TP claimed their packs were ultralight, racing pro, blah blah blah
They were very high IR and very much under-capacity - that is the only reason that they are light.

The few I had puffed even when not abused at all
Jun 24, 2017, 04:06 PM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarper

In any case, why do other batteries provide rated capacity at 3.6-3.7V? Did their marketing forget to sell the product correctly?
Couple of examples of battery manufacturers rating packs at 3.7V please.
Jun 24, 2017, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Love to give more business to the right folks

Turnigy graphene 1800mAh 3s,4s, 1500mAh 3s
Indestructible quads gold label 1500 4a.
Zippy compact 1000mAh (itsy little 3S, 25C battery for my goggles)

All charge to rated starting at around 3.6V. Anyone else want to defend thunder power?
Last edited by chronowarper; Jun 24, 2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Jun 24, 2017, 05:08 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Don't forget dinogy lipos.. Very little voltage sag and their cycle life can't be beat.. A little pricey but worth it.

Quick Reply