2017 AIRR (FAA Reauthorization)

First info I've seen:

https://jrupprechtlaw.com/21st-century-airr-act
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2017, 10:46 AM
sticky?
Jun 22, 2017, 12:32 PM
And The Flyin' Is Easy
Here we go again?? Will the AMA get truly involved with this go around??
Jun 22, 2017, 04:10 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Here's the House version:

https://transportation.house.gov/upl...te_004_xml.pdf

CBO is finally defined
Jun 22, 2017, 04:27 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Senate Version

https://www.commerce.senate.gov/publ...--faa-bill.pdf

Section 2128 page 112
Jun 22, 2017, 04:42 PM
Looks like registration will be back in effect

Page 116 of the Senate bill

3 ‘‘(d) EXCEPTIONS.—The Administrator may promul-
4 gate rules relating to the registration and marking of
5 model aircraft.
Jun 22, 2017, 04:54 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekj721
Looks like registration will be back in effect

Page 116 of the Senate bill

3 ‘‘(d) EXCEPTIONS.—The Administrator may promul-
4 gate rules relating to the registration and marking of
5 model aircraft.
House version has similar wording. Registration is just not a big deal to me. I'm licensed to fly an airplane, so FAA has me already. I am also in the FCC database. 1 more thing just does not bother me.

What DOES bother me is the potential testing requirement in the Senate version. That would suck.
Jun 22, 2017, 05:46 PM
Electron Whisperer
Looks possible that AMA giving test/certify safety knowledge and maybe allow AMA number as FAA number might be possible under Senate version. Non-AMA members will need their own CBO recognized or take the FAA online test (which should be same test so as to not force AMA membership)
Jun 22, 2017, 05:47 PM
Electron Whisperer
House version is very long- haven't found relevent section yet.
Jun 22, 2017, 06:14 PM
Not at all surprised that they're putting registration into law now (and have no problem with it), but I'm happy that there aren't a lot of other changes. A test is also okay.
Jun 22, 2017, 06:29 PM
Suspended Account
Senate version, look at 44808(b), gives FAA authority in considering updates to paras above the ability to do operational rule changes, establish different classes of "model aircraft" etc. My read is that it gives them a lot of authority.
Jun 22, 2017, 07:39 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004
House version is very long- haven't found relevent section yet.
Starts on page 252.
Jun 23, 2017, 12:39 AM
forward swept peg installer
We need an all encompassing bill that will also tackle flying whip cream canisters. They have already killed one person this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/22/world/...rnd/index.html
Jun 23, 2017, 07:48 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa
We need an all encompassing bill that will also tackle flying whip cream canisters. They have already killed one person this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/22/world/...rnd/index.html
Dude, it was indoors...... Indoor flying whipped cream is not covered by the FAA other than to say it's not covered, but of course you already knew this. Just Saying

I'm shocked that registration may actually be back Just gonna go poke the neighbours dog with a big stick. If that doesn't work I'll find a bigger stick... etc. etc.

Mark
Jun 24, 2017, 01:05 AM
---- --
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEFlyer
Here we go again?? Will the AMA get truly involved with this go around??
Here they've already claimed some responsibility -
[QUOTE]

You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication

Friday, June 23, 2017

Dear members,
The U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate this week released proposed legislation for FAA reauthorization. We are pleased to share that both bills preserve the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and even contain some of the new provisions AMA has been advocating for to further protect our hobby. And while the Special Rule remains in both bills, there are areas of concern that we will continue to address with Congress.
As you may know, the Special Rule for Model Aircraft was passed in 2012 and allows community-based organizations (CBO) like AMA to continue managing our community of hobbyists without unnecessary government regulation.
As we shared on our blog yesterday, the House version of FAA reauthorization provides a clear definition of a CBO and tasks the FAA with developing a process for recognizing CBOs, both items we asked the House to include. In addition, the bill expands the protections of the Special Rule to allow model aircraft to be used as a teaching tool for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), as well as aeronautics. Throughout the weekend and into early next week, we will continue to petition refinements to the bill.
The Senate version of the FAA reauthorization bill will require a little more effort, and we are working with the Senate to improve it. We believe it is important the Senate adopt language similar to the House to define CBOs and create a path to identify CBOs. However, we are glad that the Senate included the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and created carveouts for CBOs. The Senate bill also directs the FAA to prioritize education efforts such as the Know Before You Fly campaign, an effort which AMA helped create in 2014.
Click here for a high-level bill comparison as it relates to our members.
We will continue our work with the House and Senate. We are still early in the legislative process, but things can move quickly. At some point, we may need your help advocating to members of Congress to support these changes. In the meantime, we will keep you updated on how the legislative process progresses.
Please continue to monitor www.modelaircraft.org/gov and your email for the latest information. And as always, thank you for your support of AMA.

[END QUOTE]

Quick Reply