Transmitter Redundancy - RC Groups
Jun 21, 2017, 10:55 AM
Old Duffer
Question

Transmitter Redundancy

I have a DX6i transmitter that I purchased a few years ago when I got into the RC hobby. I've grown accustomed to it and since it's getting some age on it I've been thinking of getting another one as back up should this one fail for some reason.

Question one is; If I have two DX6i's the original one being bound to all of my boat's receivers, if I bind the new one to the receivers will the receivers respond to both radio's, or just the latest they were bound to? I guess I'm asking are receivers "true" to their transmitter, or the transmitter "true" to their receiver?

Question two; Taking care of and not abusing a transmitter what would be an average life expectancy?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2017, 04:36 AM
The receivers will only remember the last transmitter that they were bound to. The entire idea of binding is that any bound receiver can only be talked to by one transmitter. The downside of not using crystals.
Jun 22, 2017, 12:18 PM
Submarines, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garboard
Question two; Taking care of and not abusing a transmitter what would be an average life expectancy?

Thanks
by basically replacing the batteries when needed, you should be able to give a modern transmitter to your grand children. i am not sure if your dx6i uses rechargeable or alkaline, but if it uses alkaline, just make sure the "springs" that push against the battery look good when you put in new batteries, and don't let the radio sit on a shelf for more than a month with alkalines in it. I have several radios in my collection that i use on a regular basis that were manufactured in the 90s (25+ years). there are people here on rcgroups that still regularly use radios that were originally manufactured in the 70s (45+ years), with modern 2.4ghz rf decks installed in them.
Jun 22, 2017, 06:02 PM
Old Duffer
Thank you for the responses!

I'm guessing that even though I have re-chargeable batteries in a pinch I could replace them with Alkalines if need be until suitable replacements are found?
Jun 22, 2017, 06:22 PM
The battery compartments that take individual cells rather than a pack were intended for both. Using a full set of either is OK. Not a good idea to mix them since the first one to run out of charge will then try to reverse charge off the others and no good will come of it.
The overall life expectancy, apart from a sudden violent end, can depend on the type of use. The mechanical parts like gimbals and pots will wear, a lot of energetic stick waggling will produce that wear. Then there is the guesswork as to how well, say, the wipers and tracks in the pots stand up to the wear and how well the case resists moisture. Some makes have a solid reputation and are a good bet. Down at the budget end, anybody's guess.