Jun 20, 2017, 07:28 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Discussion

16 year old girl's first solo in a Curtiss Jenny

16 Year Old Girl First Solo Curtiss Jenny (6 min 44 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2017, 08:01 PM
Pretty cool.
Don't know whether I'd want to solo in a rat bag Jenny tho.
When I soloed, was made to make 2 touch and go's and a final landing.
In between, the 2nd and 3rd the tower and my instructor on the ground, fabricated a fake diversion, so I had to fly about 10 miles out of my way, fumble my way back into the traffic pattern (radio, radio, radio) then land.
Still, rather do that than solo in a million year old Jenny.
Jun 20, 2017, 08:13 PM
Dinosaur
My first solo was in a Cessna 140. I was just a teenager but that little tail dragger was enough of a challenge for me. I can't imagine doing it in a Jenny.

I have to wonder what her strongest memory is of that flight. Silly, I know but what stands out for me was looking at the empty seat next to me and noticing the herring bone pattern of the upholstery. I'd never paid much attention to it until there was no instructor sitting on it.

Very cool video, Aeronca. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tom
Last edited by Twodor; Jun 20, 2017 at 08:24 PM.
Aug 20, 2017, 09:23 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
My memory from my solo is how much faster climb rate the Cessna 172 has when I was alone. Other than that it was pretty much like practiced.
Aug 22, 2017, 02:53 PM
At one time or another , EVERYBODY had to solo in a Jenny or its equivalent. People forget that the Jenny is licenced as, or at least considered, a Standard Category Aircraft. My 1938 Aeronca KCA had single ignition, no carb heat, no electrical system, and non-steerable tailwheel, yet was a real licenced aircraft in 1974 (restoration) and is maintained to that standard, to this day. One of the odd things about US aircraft registration is grandfathering of earlier production aircraft. Another is repairs to "factory practice" . If it was done at the factory, an approved airframe repair for that aircraft, is one made to the same level. FAR guidelines, such as for spar splices and rib stich spacing are generalities for when factory specs/practices are unknown or shop condition specs, cannot be met.
Aug 22, 2017, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
I haven't seen Paul Daugherty in about 25 years . Is that him ????? He used to be at KUKT . There , flew in his E-2 CUB and CESSNA 195 .If that's him , he put on a bit of # .
Aug 22, 2017, 05:33 PM
Btw ., congrat's to the gal , she stayed coooool
Aug 22, 2017, 10:56 PM
I wasn'r belittling her solo achievement! If it sounded that way, I'm truly sorry. I was attempting to point out that a properly restoredand maintained ancient aircraft is "officially"no less safe than a modern type.

To me, it's akin to taking one's driver's test in a fully functioning, restored, and licensed Model T Ford. Legal in your state(?) even if there's no turn indicators, seat belts, and other modern features.

Both an antique car and an antique airplane can be, if visual conditions are correct, actual time machines!
Aug 23, 2017, 07:50 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater
I haven't seen Paul Daugherty in about 25 years . Is that him ????? He used to be at KUKT . There , flew in his E-2 CUB and CESSNA 195 .If that's him , he put on a bit of # .
Yes, that's him. If I have the story right that's his daughter in the Jenny.
He owns Grimes Airport aka the Golden Age Air Museum. We were there this past weekend for a vintage model meet (check the Current Model Aviation calendar for a flyer) and it was great. He has many pre 1938 full size airplanes and they all fly in their air shows. A great place for airplane nuts if you can make it.
https://www.goldenageair.org/events.htm
Aug 23, 2017, 03:48 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
I may also point out that it says first solo in Jenny, not first solo. I suspect this gal has more hours than many of us .. just not in that plane

BTW, I'd fly the Jenny. What a wonderful old plane.
Aug 23, 2017, 08:57 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbyrne
I may also point out that it says first solo in Jenny, not first solo. I suspect this gal has more hours than many of us .. just not in that plane

BTW, I'd fly the Jenny. What a wonderful old plane.
I noted that 'first solo' language also John. The way it's written it could be interpreted either way. I'm going to Grimes next month, I'll see if somebody there can explain it.
Aug 24, 2017, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
I noted that 'first solo' language also John. The way it's written it could be interpreted either way. I'm going to Grimes next month, I'll see if somebody there can explain it.
Hint : Paul Jr. is a CFI and ATP . DFW/ EWR reg route . ....................daughter ....................more than likely memorized the 727 pre-taxi checklist at 10

OBW
Sep 23, 2017, 05:49 PM
WOW!!!
What fun that would be to fly a Jenny! I am envious!
Sep 24, 2017, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd
WOW!!!
What fun that would be to fly a Jenny! I am envious!
It would be fun Ed , but you would have to get used to using BOTH pedals !
Sep 24, 2017, 09:52 AM
Where, exactly, would "pedals" in a Jenny, be located???!!! Woids can be a pain, can't they?

Solo , as pointed out earlier, could be either one's first flight, ever. Or one's first flight in a given type, with no one else aboard. Or even a descriptive state or condition of a given flight (Lindbergh flew the Atlantic solo.) The first instance is THE right of ones' recognized passage into the world of "aviator". The second and third are merely culminations of a check ride.

This does not mean I'm any less envious of the 16 ye old girl who checked out in a 100 year old airplane!

Quick Reply