Cheaper to
Buy a new one
https://www.ebay.com/i/264302525515?...hoCdG4QAvD_BwE
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2019, 06:36 PM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
Agree. Just getting a whole new gimbal for that price is probably the best option.
Sep 13, 2019, 10:22 AM

First impressions of the X-22

Well guys, I got back from Atlanta a couple of days ago. Hurricane Dorian didn't do much to the continental US. So, a lot of us got sent home instead of out to an affected area. So, I got to open the box and check out the X-22. Here are my first impressions.

Overall it's an X-21. My X-21 even has the same connecting port that the X-22 has for the gimbal. Remember, we were all trying to figure out what that port was for and even theorized the pin order for the gimbal? The3D gimbal looks sturdy, but not real sure the brushless motor size is going to be stable enough to give fluid movement and not chatter a lot. The wiring harness of the gimbal could be better. All of those tiny separate wires! I fear that any one of them may get snagged on something and broken. So I may try to find a way to put some kind of covering over them.

I like the size of the upgraded battery, 3200mAh. It doesn't list the peak discharge rate (C rating). It fills the battery bay. It has a 'pull flap' to make it easier to remove. It still has the 'super tigre' connector, which is pretty much limited to Syma quads and their 'relatives'. So, using any aftermarket battery will require an adapter or soldering a new end on. I don't want to start butchering this thing yet. So, if I decide I need more batteries, I'll get the OEM.

The camera is EXACTLY the same POS that came with the X-21. The only thing I like about it is the large dual antennae that you can see in the back plate of the camera. This will get you slighter better FPV range (which still sucks because it's WiFi). I actually tried to insert the 4gb micro-SD card that came with it, and because the camera was put together so sloppy, I missed the slot and the card just went into the camera body. I had to take it apart to retrieve the card.

I haven't flown it yet. I've been studying the manual and reliving some of the nightmares from past experiences with the X-16 and X-21, when it came to calibrations. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, there's something that Bayang wrote incorrectly about the calibrations for the X-21 and it took me forever to get it right. And, even then, only because someone else had already figured it out and gave me the correct instructions.

For both the compass AND Gyro calibration are vague and confusing because of absolutely horrible 'Chinglish'. I mean, really, Bayang probably has the WORST manuals I've EVER tried to understand. I seem to remember saving the correct steps somewhere in my PC. Hopefully I can find it and get it right. I did notice that the instructions say something about 'after you move the sticks and the status lights start flashing, you do figure eights with the quad, over the transmitter.' Huh??

I'm watching YouTube vids. I'll eventually get it right. Because each little button on the TX actually has a function, I'm gonna have to label everything, so I don't screw something up.

I'm glad to see that the TX still has full telemetry display and that the quad still has all of the flight features as the X-21. I remember doing a follow me test, going up hill on a bicycle. The quad did a great job, buzzing around me and always keeping me in the frame. BUT, as I went uphill the quad maintained it's last altitude prior to starting the follow me function. This would have eventually caused the quad to run aground. But, I saw what was going on and stopped my uphill ride.

My plan is to do a couple of flights, with the total stock configuration and see what kind of video I get. After that, I'm going to cut off the 'anti drop pins' which are WAY too tight and replace them with some zip ties that I can adjust. I'm also going to replace the OEM props with some balanced 9450's and replace the camera with one of my better cameras that have EIS, 90* FOV, 1080p at 60fps and all of the other typical camera settings. All of that should get much better video. The before and after vids will be combined in a comparison video for YouTube.
Last edited by mikelberry; Sep 13, 2019 at 11:11 AM.
Sep 13, 2019, 01:50 PM
Can’t wait. I took one of my Hubsan 501 out ( the one that was sent to
Me destroyed. I changed the FCB and it glued it back together with JB Weld.
Had to straighten out one arm. And replace one motor and all the props. It flew fine on its first flight. The original transmitter has a broken stick ( still does. ) and the screen was Blue. Got a new LCD . New one was cracked but worked. They sent me another new one. I should have quit and been happy with the crack. They sent me a new one. Now I can’t get the cracked one or new one to come on. LOL. I have 5 trans mutter and all interchangeable. So no big deal. I just can never sell
It unless one flys away.
Sep 19, 2019, 02:32 PM

First report on the X-22.

It took me several (8-9) attempts to get it to accept the calibrations. The gimbal seems to be functioning very well (as observed by watching it's movements). I really like the idea that it's a true 3D gimbal, on such a cheap quad. The FPV app will download to my Samsung Galaxy Note 9. And, the Note will connect to the camera's wifi signal. But, the app will NOT function as it should. I got it to work normally with my Galaxy S8. So, I will get that phone out, charge it up and use it for flying the X-22. The app has a virtual switch where you can turn off the ceiling limit. But, I haven't been able to test that yet. Otherwise, the 400 ft ceiling is still enforced. Flying from my back yard, I was able to take it up to the limit and fly it about as far as I could still see it. So, good range. The one button RTH and auto low battery RTH work very well. The high-low function of response rate works great. The low rate is perfect for videography. The high rate is great for action tracking, etc. Because I didn't format the micro-SD card before I flew, I got DIDDLY for a video to review. I'm still going to do two vids, one before any mods and one after, to see how much improvement I can get with better props, better vibration control and a better camera. But, because I only have one battery, it's going to be a while between flights. BTW, the flight time out of this one battery is kind of what we expected, not a lot. I'll get an accurate time on it, next flight. But, it's just 'okay' considering the price of this set up. It IS better than what we were getting with the old 2200mAh battery.
Sep 20, 2019, 07:58 PM

Update on my X-22 lessons

There are no instructions at all, in the manual, regarding the camera itself. Nothing about what format for the SD card, anything about status indicator light, NOTHING. After I formatted the included card to FAT32, and tried it again. Nada. So, I tried another card that I know works. Still get the same error message 'format flag'. WTH? So, I consider the camera (which was junky anyway) to be totally useless. I got my Galaxy S7 out, and charged it up, connected it to the camera's wifi and opened the app. NADA. it worked with my X-16 and X-21. But, won't with the X-22. So, no FPV out of that camera either.

Odd gimbal behaviour: with the camera disconnected (but leaving the harness dangling from the platform, the gimbal didn't behave very well. Then, I took the stock camera from one of my X-380's and put on the X-22 gimbal, attaching the USB plug. My thought was maybe the control for the camera would work on this one. The X-380 camera did recognize that it had an outside power source. But, it was still a bad idea, the gimbal got real twitchy and I could smell electronics starting to overheat. That got unplugged real quick. Tested again, no harm done. The gimbal still works fine.

So part of my testing will not get done, comparing the X-22 camera to one of my better cameras, like the Hawkeye Firefly 8s. But, I will still do the other test, stock prop and anti-jello set up vs. balanced 9450's and tweaked anti-vibration. That is, when the wind dies down a little. Yesterday it was back over 100* here. Today, it was a little cooler. But, the wind was too high, 25-30 mph avg, with over 40 mph gusts.
Sep 22, 2019, 05:35 PM
I took the 501S out again this time. Trying to overcome my distance fear. So I said to
Myself. So you loose it you got 4 more. So took the repaired on out
Pressed record video and too off. Flew higher than I ever did. 100 feet. Flew over the School next door about. 1,000 feet away hid a nice slow spin. Lost FPV. Pressed RTH. It came back what looked like over a tree 50 feet behind target. I hit the video button to save video. Took the card out. Put it in the computer. I have s 5 sec video of the landing. And I have a 85,000 bit file I can’t watch. Bummer. Try again another day. Felt pretty good to know I had control.
Sep 22, 2019, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
I took the 501S out again this time. Trying to overcome my distance fear. So I said to
Myself. So you loose it you got 4 more. So took the repaired on out
Pressed record video and too off. Flew higher than I ever did. 100 feet. Flew over the School next door about. 1,000 feet away hid a nice slow spin. Lost FPV. Pressed RTH. It came back what looked like over a tree 50 feet behind target. I hit the video button to save video. Took the card out. Put it in the computer. I have s 5 sec video of the landing. And I have a 85,000 bit file I canít watch. Bummer. Try again another day. Felt pretty good to know I had control.
congrats on reaching out, flying further. My friends used to call me Icarus. Because I was always the one that was staring into the sky and no one else could see what I was looking at. (My quad WAY beyond the regular field of flight). I think that there are two classes of video, racing - FPV - close to you AND pic/vid - recorded - distant. I don't have the hand-eye coordination for racing. And, I really like getting good pics and vids, soooo...
Sep 23, 2019, 08:25 AM
Just PO because no video again. Can’t understand it. I get it up there and am careful yet I get a bad non snow video. The file shows it is there.
Sep 23, 2019, 09:56 AM
I am up
Loading the video
Now taking a year and a day. Why so slow. 6 min video. Came out decent. I want you guys to see what I have to deal with for terrain.
Sep 23, 2019, 11:41 AM
Hey fellow Bayangtoys fliers. Been a while. I'm still flying my X16 the walkera gimbal and isaw camera and getting nice video.

Nice to see you are still testing the x21 and x22. Been wanting to jump on the x30, but such bad reviews out there, but it's cheap enough that I might still give a try.

Looking forward the video's.
Sep 23, 2019, 11:53 AM
Ok finally loaded. I know it’s not what you guys do but a big step for me. Out of sight flying.
TORRINGTON CT 501s high up (3 min 0 sec)
Sep 23, 2019, 12:12 PM
Out of sight is very scary, I've only done out of sight with my Autel Xstar a few times and it's still scary and I trust that drone.

Nice job. Looks like you'll be working on that gimbal too. lol
Sep 23, 2019, 02:07 PM
The 501 can’t carry the Gimbal. Way to light of a bird. Actually I like the movement.
As you can see out of sight can be50 feet in my neck of the woods
Sep 23, 2019, 07:17 PM
My try the 502 range test. If I have the battery. Down girlfriends. Quad in the trunk. I always have one with
Me

Quick Reply