Jun 11, 2019, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
2 more friends are leaving the workshop this week ...hope they all behave
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2019, 12:53 PM
I know the Inside out.....
Hi all,

I never really shared my build and flying experience with my Concept X5. I got it flying already in February this year and so it is about time to post some photos and share with you my choices for the build and set up. This may be useful for anybody out there still requiring to build his Concept X5.

And I am also interested in your comments and experiences in relation to mine.

With regards to the build – see pictures

I managed to use the flat servo covers but needed to sand the aluminium case of my KST servos with a metal file to make this possible. In particular, the side that sits at the lower part of the servo tray. To ensure the servo horn is as short as possible, I drilled a new hole in the servo arm right against the plastic housing – I think only about 3.5 mm from the centre. There is about 2 tenth of a mm between the top of the servo arm and the servo cover. I also reduced the height of the aileron connection by sanding down the CFK horn. The steel wire really sits only a millimetre or so above the aileron surface – see pictures. All works perfect!

The servo-tray for rudder and elevator and the ballast-system is a DIY version of the 3D molded tray. I went for this option for a combination of reasons. I ordered the 3D tray and ballast but it was forgotten to ship with my order and then out of stock. Since I needed to wait a very long time I decided to build it myself. Another reason for building it myself is simply because I enjoy that.

Anyway, you see the measures of the tray on the pictures. It was made from thin multiplex and I laminated it with carbon at the bottom for extra strength. The T part that moves in the fuselage was carefully sanded down until the fit was perfect. This part is not glued – it sits snug against the fuselage wall.

The ballast sticks were made from lead and the heavier ones from tungsten welding rods. These were also laminated in carbon – just for making them look nice. I already flew the plane with the 80 gram ballast stick with no issues what so ever.

You also note my choice for the position of the exit of the aileron servo leads. I do not use a connector. I just extended the wires. I never take my DLG’s apart but if you do than I can tell you it is a very easy task to lead the wires underneath the servos in the servo tray. There is enough space and the wires also do not interfere with the ballast system.

With regards to the set up and flying

I fly my Concept X5 with a fundamentally different set up for the ailerons. I do not use the advised reversed differential that uses 13 mm down and 8 mm up reverse differential. My aileron settings are: 10 mm up and 7 mm down. This is very personal off course, I copied it from my Stream NXT setting. It is certainly responsive enough, (I fly without Expo) and in combination with my CG I can get nice flat circles. I noticed the plane likes some rudder input to get into a turn, followed by aileron input.

My AUW is 225 grams and my CG sits at 71.5 – 72 mm. I have tried everything from 68 to 72 mm but anything shorter of 71.5 puts my plane in a strange ‘nose down’ position in the air. From 71.5 and above, I get a ‘normal’ flight characteristic with a fuselage that sits horizontal in the air. With a CG of 71.5 – 72 mm I certainly do not find the plane difficult to fly. It is perfectly stable and at the same time signals lift very well.

I am interested to know if you experienced the same and you also like a somewhat rear CG - certainly with some higher wind speeds.

I am flying it now for several months and I think I have it ‘dialed in’. Last weekend I flew in rather windy conditions with many small thermals at around 25 to 45 meters. I really like how strongly the plane reacts when it flies close to a small thermal. The wing tip raises immediately and you know you sit next to the bubble. When you are in the bubble, I noted the plane likes elevator input and you can yank it around. At above 70 meters the thermals got bigger and the plane would fly almost by itself in the thermals – I just let it go and hardly worked the sticks.

I also noted the plane likes some speed and when you fly through a thermal it also signals lift very well both at low and higher speeds – you see the whole plane rising as it were.

Launch height is typically 4 to 5 meters above my Stream NXT. I get consistently between 58 and 60 meters with my Concept.

And so, I like it very much!

Thanks Laurynas for you excellent build quality and thank you Rollo for your design and responsiveness when I raised a question.

Happy flying!

Roger
Last edited by Rosbrik; Jun 12, 2019 at 01:17 PM.
Jun 13, 2019, 05:14 AM
Thread OP
Hi Roger,

thank you a lot for your very detailed build and flight report.
I am truely sorry for the delay of the ballst system, but we are having them on stock again.

About your flight report - I can 100% confirm your experiences and I am happy that you‘ve found your personal setup.
My values in the data sheet are only my settings and you can be sure that the CX5 performs well with those. It was meant to be a base for finding your own „comfy“ setup of course.
Also the CG range from ~65mm to ~72mm is optional and shall fit your flying style.

I can also confirm your flight experiences by 100%...truely amazing how the 5 not only shows you the thermal but also converts it into height. My personal favourite is the low level thermalling abilities with Snap Flap and extremely tight turns. Gives me a lot of confidence to go further for even small bubbles.

Really looking forward to other build and flight reports. More and more CX5 are in pilot‘s hands now and I will receive production no. 600 very soon to make it RTF for the WC in Hungary...

Cheers,

Rollo
Jun 13, 2019, 03:12 PM
I know the Inside out.....
Hi Rollo,

Thank you for your feedback. It is very nice to see that my experiences match yours. To me this is also a confirmation that I have grown my experience with flying DLG’s and much better recognise how to continiously improve my (indeed: personal) set up to get the most from a design.

I recall when 4 years ago, with hardly any experience, I bought a Stream NXT. It took me more than 6 months before I was comfortable with it and another 6 months to really appriciate its full potential.

It requires a lot of experience to read flying behavior, notice lift and work thermals effectively.

The Concept X5 is truly a great DLG and I am not surprised you are closing in on # 600....

Roger
Last edited by Rosbrik; Jun 13, 2019 at 03:37 PM.
Jun 14, 2019, 08:27 PM
When you can't ski, fly DLG!

From Stevens Pass, WA
Jun 14, 2019, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCube
When you can't ski, fly DLG!

From Stevens Pass, WA
Not a lot of people can say they've been alpine dlg'ing.
Jun 15, 2019, 04:18 PM
Hi there!
Just started with my build after looking to long to my New CX5 because of a broken arm.
Question: the wing servo frames are awesome and fit very snug, but can I glue them with CA of better with 2 component epoxy?
Any advise?
Same question for the ballast servo tray.
Thanx!
Jun 15, 2019, 04:47 PM
RCG Admin
I used JB weld on mine. Super strong.
Jun 15, 2019, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedter
Hi there!
Just started with my build after looking to long to my New CX5 because of a broken arm.
Question: the wing servo frames are awesome and fit very snug, but can I glue them with CA of better with 2 component epoxy?
Any advise?
Same question for the ballast servo tray.
Thanx!
I would recommend CA only - according to my producer Dominik, it is the best glue for this purpose.
Never had a loose servotray with CA, but with 24h resin...

Rollo
Last edited by Rollo340; Jun 16, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Jun 17, 2019, 03:25 AM
Jason and Rollo thanx for your replies!
Jun 18, 2019, 04:58 PM
usaf3kteam

To hot to fly time to put together and BEER cheers.

Time to put them together.
Jun 18, 2019, 05:40 PM
Those are some bright planes!
Jun 18, 2019, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Have fun building and flying them, Georgie
Jun 18, 2019, 09:00 PM
I like those yellow tails! Makes me want to order one just to get them.
Jun 20, 2019, 06:19 PM
Thread OP
Big shoutout to Jason Cole for a fantastic review of the CX5 - thank you a lot buddy

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-X5-DLG-Review

Quick Reply