Jun 22, 2017, 04:00 PM
Congrats guys on continuing the concept line. This looks like a great addition, I look forward to watching the build thread and hopefully seeing one soon.
PM me Jun's tracking # when it ships
Maybe he will let me try it?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2017, 04:17 PM
Thread OP
I think, Mike will be the first one in SoCal, still waiting for Jun's order . Hope,that mine will find it's way home next week ...Will start a build thread immediately and hope to see you flying the 5 sooner than later

Cheers, Rollo
Jun 23, 2017, 12:25 AM
AERO+
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwv
Hi Rollo ,
Since your involvment with the Flare.
I would have assumed your next design would have camber changing !
Why the return to the conventional wing for the Cx5?
I am going to answer this question as the designer of both planes here. I think Rollo will provide his own opinion later too.

The Flare is a totally new animal, or you can say it's a "experimental product" as it's the first dlg to use the LEF, it has his own gene with a totally new airfoil family, special naked fuselage, and Ellipse tips.

The CX5 is all base on Senior's research on his new X-ship which he already set a basic design concept, what I am doing here is to continued his work and try to achieved his design goal. the CX5 has all the Concept series gene, low wing design, servos in the wing, slim nose, sweep back with sharp tips.

New design need time to proved by pilots and there are lots of CX fans want to keep the traditional design.

Let's just give a simple example here: Tesla is cool and new trend, but Mercedes-Benz is the Mercedes-Benz.
Last edited by nickbox; Jun 23, 2017 at 01:25 AM.
Jun 23, 2017, 12:31 AM
AERO+
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens
is it wierd to bring out a dlg without LEF's now?

then i guess a lot more wierdness will come out in the future
Hey Kristof, I can't wait to see your new madness monster after the REV you are always the trend setter.
Jun 23, 2017, 07:08 AM
1 revolution and throw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbox
Hey Kristof, I can't wait to see your new madness monster after the REV you are always the trend setter.
well you did some out of the box thinking aswell on the flare(understatement)
Jun 23, 2017, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwv
Hi Rollo ,
Since your involvment with the Flare.
I would have assumed your next design would have camber changing !
Why the return to the conventional wing for the Cx5?
I love Nick's comparison with Tesla/Mercedes.
The thing is, that the Concept brand already exists a couple of years and is a proven design. As Nicky said, we were doing our own interpretation of Senior's X-plane work. During Seniors time in the hospital, we both created a little think tank about future designs and new approaches. There are still a couple more ideas to be realized, but the thing is that many people desired a solid core CX and a little bit wider envelope towards dead air abilities.
The Flare is a total different approach and totally out of the box thinking. We did a lot of research here and wanted to explore new paths in low re aerodynamics (combined with split second high re's ). The Flare is only the beginning and we are trying to find the best setup for each weather situation right now. It feels so different in the air. Although mine weighs 250gr it feels like a feather when having deployed the LEFs.

At the end, we needed a new plane in the CX series for customer's "low weight/solid core/dead air abilities" demand and with a little Senior fingerprint , but also wanted to follow our dreams by realizing something "totally crazy" with the Flare...

And don't worry...there's more to come

Rollo
Jun 23, 2017, 10:50 AM
Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo340
many people desired a solid core CX and a little bit wider envelope towards dead air abilities.
I would be one of those people .

Will you also have a plus version of this CX5 that is all in pod? I really like all in the pod setups .
Jun 23, 2017, 10:59 AM
Congrats Rollo, Laurynas and Nick on the newborn

Whole package of candles lit to the mailman here, come on duuuuude!!!!
Jun 23, 2017, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa
I would be one of those people .

Will you also have a plus version of this CX5 that is all in pod? I really like all in the pod setups .
We will not have a plus version. It's a smaller fuselage than CX4, but according to Laurynas it has enough space for a 4iP build. I will report sion when I received my first airframe...
But I don't know if it really makes sense with expected AUW of 210-220gr.

Rollo
Jun 23, 2017, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavani
Congrats Rollo, Laurynas and Nick on the newborn

Whole package of candles lit to the mailman here, come on duuuuude!!!!
Any news on the shipping?
Jun 23, 2017, 02:03 PM
Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo340
We will not have a plus version. It's a smaller fuselage than CX4, but according to Laurynas it has enough space for a 4iP build. I will report sion when I received my first airframe...
But I don't know if it really makes sense with expected AUW of 210-220gr.
If it doesn't make sense then I am more likely to want to do it . I tend to go against the normal flow. Rudderless, low-wing, flying over my pond every other day, never practice for competitions, fly crazy right before a competition and break all my DLGS, etc. If it can work all in pod, keeping in mind I fly rudderless so only need 3 servos, I will definitely add this to my list.
Jun 23, 2017, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa
If it doesn't make sense then I am more likely to want to do it . I tend to go against the normal flow. Rudderless, low-wing, flying over my pond every other day, never practice for competitions, fly crazy right before a competition and break all my DLGS, etc. If it can work all in pod, keeping in mind I fly rudderless so only need 3 servos, I will definitely add this to my list.
Rudderless 3ip is absolutely no problem. Looking forward to read about your experiences
Jun 23, 2017, 02:22 PM
Adam
Darn, you called my bluff. Now I need to get some money together . I guess I would need to figure out where I could get a torque rod that would work too, assuming that is possible. I might be getting in over my head by not going with one that is all in the pod by design. I don't think I could make a torque rod myself.
Jun 24, 2017, 01:22 AM
AERO+
You will need a custom layup fuselage for allinpod in cx5 I think. For the open hole area near hinge. When you get ready. The torque rod isn't your problem. I can do one for you
Jun 24, 2017, 01:57 AM
FIN-5414
Well...let's see about the 4iP solution. When I get it in my op table.....

>m

Quick Reply