Welcome

To the 'club' Wiz
Cary
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 08:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
I flew my 2 new CX5ís today for the first time. To say Iím happy with them would be an understatement. What do I like about them? Everything I liked about my beloved NXTís these planes have. What are those things? They launch high, they are fast, they come home in the wind, they float nicely, they signal lift well. But here is where they leave the NXT in the dust.... The CX5 turns like butter. I couldnít believe how much smoother the CX5 turns than anything else Iíve ever owned. The overall handling in smooth air is fantastic but in rough air they really shine. Iím pretty sure I just upped my game. I donít remember the last time I was this happy with the performance of a new plane. And they look fantastic too...
I think, that is the loveliest compliment for the CX5 ever. Thank you a lot for these words, Wiz and always happy flights and landings with your 2 beauties

Rollo
Mar 02, 2020, 07:32 AM
Thread OP
Finally I had the chance to maiden my new D-box CX5 with the brandnew production T-peg .

I have to say, I really love the feeling of that peg and there was no difference in the launch behavior...

Happy Chappy here
Mar 02, 2020, 08:20 AM
RCG Admin
Nice Rollo!
Mar 02, 2020, 06:05 PM
Hey Rollo;
Haven't got the wing done on my latest. How do I get one of the new pegs?
Thanks for any info.
Cary
Mar 02, 2020, 06:22 PM
Maiden my CX5 with my new Tranis Xlite radio. Awesome combination!!!!

What a sweet flying plane.
Mar 02, 2020, 07:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadFlopper
Hey Rollo;
Haven't got the wing done on my latest. How do I get one of the new pegs?
Thanks for any info.
Cary
Hey Cary, you can simply order it at Stream. But be aware. Your wing is made for a regular peg, which means that it has a hard point made out of a microballoon resin mixture. ItĎs a PITA to drill and file through that hatdpoint to install a T-peg.
ItĎs up to you. If you have plenty of time, strong fingers and a lot of patience - go ahead

Rollo
Mar 02, 2020, 07:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyez
Maiden my CX5 with my new Tranis Xlite radio. Awesome combination!!!!

What a sweet flying plane.
Congratulations ...

...and I love that Corona paintjob

Rollo
Mar 02, 2020, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo340
Congratulations ...

...and I love that Corona paintjob

Rollo
John,

I have to agree with Rollo. Those dragons are sick!

70 degrees this coming Saturday! Hope to see those sick puppies at the field.
Mar 02, 2020, 07:57 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
We
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo340
Hey Cary, you can simply order it at Stream. But be aware. Your wing is made for a regular peg, which means that it has a hard point made out of a microballoon resin mixture. It‘s a PITA to drill and file through that hatdpoint to install a T-peg.
It‘s up to you. If you have plenty of time, strong fingers and a lot of patience - go ahead

Rollo
It's very doable, I've done several with Craig Robinson pegs.
My technique is to first take a little triangle of the tip ( gets trimmed and glued back in later). Then drill out a bunch of holes with a small bit. Next trim a hacksaw blade down to a sharp taper and slowly open the holes till the whole peg shape is open. Then use sandpaper glued to thin plywood and flat needle files to remove the rest of the filler till you get to skin. Then glue with slow cure epoxy thickened with cabosil (colloidal silica) injected with a syringe. Just take your time. It's worth it as it makes a strong install and the peg is in a comfortable spot right at the tip.
Last edited by mnowell129; Mar 03, 2020 at 01:24 PM.
Mar 02, 2020, 10:31 PM
Thanks Rollo, Mickey.
Cary
Mar 03, 2020, 11:21 AM

Hard Point T-Blade Install Obstacle

Mickey has skills and a high degree of patience 😊

My latest T-blade installations were in wings with integral hard points. Using a Dremel tool with the available router base and carbide cutter along with a template guide, I was able to rout a recess in the underside of the wing. The template also provides a flat surface to support the router base beyond the wing tip.
The blade was then glued in place using clear packing tape over the recess to control excess resin spread and after curing, laminated with two layers of CW-40, one slightly smaller than the second layer and both slightly larger than the blade recess.

Seems to be a good alternate method with no signs of failure or fatigue after a full contest season.

Craig
Mar 03, 2020, 12:00 PM
FIN-5414
My technique is to first take a little triangle of the tip ( gets trimmed and glued back in later).

Well, you dont need to do that here. The T-pegs I saw last week had an integrated triangle. Very neat detail, indeed!
Mar 03, 2020, 01:50 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Meeks,
Great Avatar!!
Mar 03, 2020, 02:42 PM
Maidened my new one yesterday.
Cold fingers, but the launch height was good, by eye sight :-)

Just waiting for some sun and better temperatures.

/Stefan

Quick Reply