Aug 13, 2017, 05:29 AM
It was great hanging out with you guys!
Sail plane museum was cool!
Lisa's breakfast fine food!

I am grateful for rain in general!

But two of my favorite contests JEM and now BAM canceled because of rain! OH NO!

If you go to fly today hope nobody gets stuck in mud.

I missed Beers at Brewery but that may have saved me from a hangover!

See you next time.

Scott
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2017, 05:31 AM
Raining in Valkey now!
3:30 AM. No meteorites visible!
Aug 13, 2017, 06:29 AM
We were able to get in an unofficial contest Saturday afternoon. BAM should proceed today, as mud at field is expected to ease up. Pilots meeting time estimated at 830am. Will fly as many rounds as practical--no 'fly-off' is planned for now. Specifics TBD
Last edited by rnshagam; Aug 13, 2017 at 06:48 AM.
Aug 13, 2017, 08:20 AM
I tried coming in from the south. It is much worse. Continue to come in on Otero road if you know what's good for you.
Aug 13, 2017, 08:00 PM
Successful contest today--flew 8 rounds in glorious weather, despite the mud. Greg the CD will be posting results soon.
Aug 13, 2017, 09:32 PM
I really enjoyed flying with the great pilots from out of state. We all realize it is a very long trip for many of you. Thank you for coming to fly with us at ASA.
Aug 13, 2017, 09:47 PM
we survived the mud to encounter wonderful soaring conditions all day, dead calm in the morning and thermal breezes later

had fun with the 20 year old Pike Plus today

thanks ASA
Philip

PS :- scores from yesterday ??
Aug 13, 2017, 11:27 PM
Overkill is underrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket rocket
...had fun with the 20 year old Pike Plus today

Thanks ASA
Philip
It should be noted that Philip is the only sailplane pilot known to break the sound barrier during his 30 second 'launch' to altitude.
My ears are still ringing...

-Ed
Aug 14, 2017, 12:20 AM
If you loved our BAM 2017 F5J Competition, but would like to try something a little slower paced, come to our 1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL F3RES IN NEW MEXICO CONTEST, Nov 11-12, 2017, sponsored again by ASA. The venue is the fabulous Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park,. We can absolutely promise NO MUD.

See http://www.soarabq.org/F3RES_forms_2017/F3RES_Form.html for more info and registration.

Regards, Richard the Registrar
Aug 14, 2017, 11:00 AM
It's great that they were able to pull off a successful contest in spite of the mud. Congrats to everyone. I cancelled after hearing the Friday night conditions, because I have had several unpleasant mud experiences out there and conditions have to be nearly perfect before I will venture out. But Richard is right...no mud at the Balloon Park.....be there !
Aug 14, 2017, 12:35 PM
It is now time for the official re-cap, from the official, substitute CD.

It is pretty much a haze of wet, humidity, mud and sun, all mixed together for me. But what I do recall is this: how well everyone cooperated to get the shebang all together, despite everything that worked to make it complicated. Many thanks to all you guys and gals for all the cheerful and gracious help.

Friday was tough, and the pre-emptive decision to leave IMMEDIATELY if the rain started was right on! We were lucky to get out. Fortunately, the Moriarty beer garden (pardon me: the Sierra Blanca Brewing Company!) was HTE spot to be in Moriarty for Friday night. For me, it has always been quite good, and the talk and friendliness was a lot of fun.

I was up and out early on Saturday, and the prospects did not look good. I appreciate learning about the South route into the sod farm, but getting to the gate was never a problem. The problem was the Dan Tanberg Memorial Sink Hole and Handy Subaru Burial Pit at the Otero gate, and the half-mile of lake at the South gate. So, it was back to town for a nice breakfast, some airplane talk at the motel with a nice collection of would-be RC soaring pilots, and a tour of the Soaring Museum. I made a check of the gate at noon; and by then, some brave soul had shown a path into the sod farm, and cars were parked along the NW quadrant of the circle. A quick, impromptu contest was organized, and we embarked on three rounds of quasi-authentic F5J competition. IT was good for me, as it was the first time I've had the opportunity to actually participate in F5J. Yes, I still have in hand the scores, and perhaps later today I will dust off my spread-sheet skills, and generate the scores. You might be surprised at who won! Well, maybe, anyway.

The next morning, folks started congregating at the sod farm once more, and it was possible to set up only about a quarter mile away from our porta-potty. First to show was at the field at 0700, and we very nearly made our goal of a pilot's meeting at 0830. Everyone pitched in, and my job was, I think, the easiest on the field as a result. Thank you, one and all!

After a brief, false start, things got rolling, and I appreciate everyone's willingness to roll right along. The lunch was good, easy to set up, easy to clean up, and I think a "rolling lunch" will always be an option in the future. The weather was good for a contest: in other words, not all that good for soaring! However, tough conditions is when the tough flyers tend to buckle down and do their tough thing. For me, it was interesting to see the conditions morph almost continually, and observe which pilots were able to morph along, and adjust. I was really thrilled when Bill and Jane got going, and I found out I could count on posting round scores before the completion of each succeeding first flight group in the next round. Well done, and way cool! Because we announced it before-hand, and because of the truncated schedule from the rain, we only flew straight through, without a fly-off session. I am glad we did it that way, this time, although I appreciate the attraction of fly-offs for some of us. I think we got in enough flying for one day of official contest work, when all was said and done.

Safety note: I have spent a career (and a lifetime!) doing hazardous stuff, and so will always keep safety in mind. I know that makes me kind of different from most, but I was still pleased and gratified when, in the few safety-related events I witnessed, that the safety issue was recognized quickly and acknowledged and resolved with little input from myself. Thank you, everyone!

Events I remember best

1. We pulled it off at all.
2. Dave found his airplane in the corn field (shake his hand - he is the luckiest man I know!)
3. Ali Khani fought his way steadily to first place, finally overcoming John Armstrong in the very last round.
4. The gracious donation by Ali of the fine radio for a prize, awarded to the guy with the most potential for improvement.
4a. That turned out to be John Hsu, who finished exactly half way up the pilot's list.
5. Matt casually installing a commercial sound file to to substitute for some non-functioning software.
6. The overall friendly and relaxed atmosphere that prevailed at all times.

People to thank (not in any order of rank or respect, all of which is quite high, ion my mind):

Kirby: food on site, and logistics for equipment from town
Rocky: grounds and setup (and, airplane finding!)
Don: certificates, awards and signs and scoring assistance and set up and tear down and...
Bill and Jane for running scores with out let up from first to last
Vicki, my wife, for picking up after me
Toby, for "technical assistance"
Dan: for the porta-potty under the shade of the (far-off) trees
Ed: for on-site effort and energy, especially with the food

Make no mistake: absolutely everyone on the field helped,whether they know it or not, whether they are mentioned here or not.

More pictures in a bit, also raw scores for your analysis.

Enjoy the pictures.
Aug 14, 2017, 11:25 PM

Bam

Thanks to all the NM folks who put on a fun contest in spite of the rain on Saturday. Sunday proved to be a nice day with high clouds that hindered good thermal formation. It was tough air and very challenging. Congrats to all the top finishers. The Moriarty Sod farm is an excellent field to fly from but to get there after the rains is another story.

I had a great time as usual. Thank you Ali of Flight Comp for your generosity providing the Taranis X90 Plus radio. Great to see old friend and meet new ones. Here are some pictures from Sunday, (sorry I couldn't get everyone) enjoy!
Aug 22, 2017, 03:13 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Is anyone going to post the full scores (overall and flight scores)? Would be great to see them. Thanks.
Chris
Aug 23, 2017, 11:12 PM
Chris:

Yeah, I've been needled about getting them out, and I had to ask Bill to re-send them. Tomorrow, I should see them, and I will post them.

As well as the Saturday scores.

Yours, Greg
Aug 24, 2017, 01:53 PM
No, that didn't work

Yours, Greg
Last edited by glidermang; Aug 24, 2017 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply