Jun 19, 2017, 03:31 PM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
Discussion

2017 Buzz Averill Memorial F5J - August 12/13

Hi everyone!

We'd like to welcome you to the 2nd annual Buzz Averill Memorial F5J Soaring Classic. Due to a date conflict with the CA 5J/3J event, we changed both the date and venue. We will be flying at the newly-managed Evergreen Turf Farm south of Moriarty NM. The grass is looking good!

Registration is on our club website. Cost is $60 per entry, and includes lunch, refreshments and water for both days. http://www.soarabq.org/F5J_forms_2017/ESC_2017Form.html

This is a sanctioned event, and all entrants must be AMA registered to participate [bring AMA cards please]. This is a F5J-USA Tour event, and will be conducted in accordance with Tour rules. Pertinent information can be found at www.f5j-usa.com/ including rules, explanations and a link to the current FAI rules. Each model flown must be equipped with an approved F5J logging altimeter. Motor restarts will be allowed, but will result in a 0 flight and landing score.

A list of currently approved altimeters is shown below:
Altis v3
Altis v4+
Altis v4
Altis Micro
CAMF5J
Grk Elec Altmr2
Mvario2_JetiBox
RCE #2Basic
RCE Multi 2
SM Unilog 2

We are working on getting an event rate for lodging in Moriarty. We have arranged for a group dinner/drink Friday evening before the contest (8/11) at the Sierra Blanca Brewery nearby. Ali over at FlightComp was kind enough to sponsor a drawing following the contest for all participants.

Posting more details as available. It should be an outstanding event, and a great time of year to fly!

-Matt

PILOT LIST:

Terry Pierce [R/P]
Richard Shagam [R/P]
Charles Martin [R/P]
Randy West [R/P]
Efrain Vila [R/P]
Chris Pyle [R/P]
Matthew Aurand [R/P]
John Tsu [R/P]
Scott Todd [R/P]
Ed LaCroix [R/P]
Kirby House [R/P]
Dave Sieger [R/P]
Dan Tandberg [R/P]
Corky Miller [R/P]
Phillip Prister [R/P]
James Velleman [R/P]
John Armstrong [R/P]
Ali Khani [R/P]
Terry Tombaugh [R/P]
Justin Rizor [R/P]
Toby Herrera [R/UP]
Skyler Raver [R/UP]
Don Schegiel [R/UP]
Larry Jolly [IR/UP]

IR=Informally Registered
R=Formally Registered
P=Payment Recieved
UP=Unpaid to date
Last edited by closedloop; Aug 08, 2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Pilot List -23 pilots
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2017, 07:41 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
I plan to attend. Thanks matt
Jun 20, 2017, 08:30 PM
hey if John is going then so am I

see you there

Philip
SAGE and ASA
Jun 20, 2017, 09:38 PM
SHADYBOY
Well if Phillip is going so am I

Mike Roseberry
Jun 21, 2017, 01:06 AM
Overkill is underrated
Well if Mike is going, so am I

-Ed LaCroix
Jun 21, 2017, 08:00 AM
Charles Martin
Peer pressure!

Sign me up, please

- Charles Martin
Jun 21, 2017, 12:57 PM
Can't stand the pressure. I am in L
And taking in the Soaring Museum
Jun 21, 2017, 02:45 PM
51 miles from my house vs. 1 mile for the balloon park. Do I have the ambition ? Probably......
Jun 21, 2017, 05:59 PM
Overkill is underrated
Charles, you broke the snappy patter we EVEF guys had going...
Jun 21, 2017, 06:05 PM
Flyin' High Now
Signed up...looking forward to it. -Randy
Jun 21, 2017, 10:19 PM
I'm in!!! It's gonna be GREAT
Jun 22, 2017, 02:50 PM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
Guys I have received some feedback from some folks that the registration website puts their anti-virus/phishing software on alert. Rest assured, it is 100% safe. If you'd like, feel free to send me a message and I'll send the mail-in form.

Thanks!

-Matt
Jun 22, 2017, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by closedloop
Guys I have received some feedback from some folks that the registration website puts their anti-virus/phishing software on alert. Rest assured, it is 100% safe. If you'd like, feel free to send me a message and I'll send the mail-in form.

Thanks!

-Matt
Same as last year.

As Matt said, there is no problem and your info is safe.

Mike
Jun 22, 2017, 04:38 PM
Hey, guys
Keep those registrations coming in. To date, we have 7 signed up. And as was mentioned, our server is safe--we use a local company, not one of the big guys, so maybe some of the virus scanners are a little touchy about the site.

But rest assured--if you have any questions/problems about signing up, please feel free to contact me directly at RNShagam 'at' Gmail 'dot' com
or FIVE-O-FIVE Two Nine Eight Two One Six Three.

Regards, Richard
ASA Treasurer and BAM 2017 Registrar
Jun 22, 2017, 04:54 PM
Oh, and to get your appetites all whetted, here's a video from last year's BAM, put together by our own Rocky Stone.
2016 Buzz Averill Memorial F5J Contest (10 min 33 sec)

It took place at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park which, sadly, we couldn't use this year owing to too many scheduling conflicts (would you believe the upcoming Solar Eclipse was one of them?). But the Evergreen Sod Farm in McIntosh is a fine venue that many of you may have already flown at, with acres of grass and lift.

We look forward to seeing you here!!!

Regards, Richard the Registrar
Jun 22, 2017, 04:56 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
A pilots list would be nice
Jun 22, 2017, 07:10 PM
YA!!! If all you all are going then so am I!!!
Jun 23, 2017, 09:54 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnshagam
It took place at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park which, sadly, we couldn't use this year owing to too many scheduling conflicts (would you believe the upcoming Solar Eclipse was one of them?)
That's really odd. Your event is Aug 12-13. The solar eclipse is Monday, Aug. 21, and ABQ is nowhere near the path of totality. Looks like the most you'll get is about 73% of the sun eclipsed by the moon. Which is still going to be quite noticeable, but probably not spectacular.

I'd be curious to know who told you that it was a scheduling conflict due to the upcoming solar eclipse.

--
Greg
Jun 24, 2017, 07:16 AM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
The main reason to change date/location was that the CA contest late August would polarize our attendees. A secondary factor was that the primary club folks are travelling to see totality, so getting help to support a contest like this was difficult on the originally planned dates.
Jun 28, 2017, 11:30 PM
coming from CO.....
Jun 29, 2017, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyez
coming from CO.....
Great to hear that you're coming--looking forward to meeting you. Please make sure you register at http://www.soarabq.org/F5J_forms_2017/ESC_2017Form.html so we have an accurate head count and flight matrix

Jun 29, 2017, 12:51 PM
Charles Martin

Sunset Inn

Looking for a hotel? Look no further - the Sunset Inn is a very charming alternative to the chain hotels:

http://www.sunseton66.com/

And it's really close to the brewpub!

- Charles
Jun 29, 2017, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
Looking for a hotel? Look no further - the Sunset Inn is a very charming alternative to the chain hotels:

http://www.sunseton66.com/

And it's really close to the brewpub!

- Charles
Funny thing, Charles--you seem to know more about Moriarty than us locals. The farthest east most of us go on Old RT66 is the Blakes LotaBurger (also a NM classic).
Jun 29, 2017, 11:52 PM
I will be there!

Scott
Jul 01, 2017, 12:42 AM
As of today, we have 11 formal signups for the 2017 BAM--thank you guys!!! (Others who have declared their intentions: get your registrations in and clear your consciences)
They are, as follows:
Terry Pierce
Richard Shagam
Charles Martin
Randy West
Efrain Vila
Chris Pyle
Michael Roseberry
Matthew Aurand
John Hsu
Scott Todd
Ed LaCroix

Get your name on the list--don't miss out on this great event honoring one of our great but gone pilots (http://tinyurl.com/baverill). Sign up at http://www.soarabq.org/F5J_forms_2017/ESC_2017Form.html
Regards, Richard
2017 BAM Registrar
Last edited by rnshagam; Jul 01, 2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added registration
Jul 01, 2017, 02:43 PM
Overkill is underrated
All paid up! Looking forward to this big time!

-Ed
Jul 01, 2017, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elac2az
All paid up! Looking forward to this big time!

-Ed
Thanks, Ed. See you here
Jul 06, 2017, 05:23 PM
I visited the sod farm yesterday, and the new owners are very busy. The grass is the very best I have ever seen in the past 15 years since I went out there for the first time. Dense, lots of weed control and mowed regularly. In addition, the borders around each irrigation circle are now plowed on a regular basis, for weed control and water conservation. This will be a very nice venue.

I updated the contest sanction (now location, new dates, new CD, even) and that should show up soon on the AMA web site.
Jul 06, 2017, 11:31 PM
Where is the lift?
Myra and I are trying to get that weekend off. Will know by the 17th

Charlie & Myra
Jul 06, 2017, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy

Charlie & Myra
Hope you can make it out here!!!
Jul 06, 2017, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy

Charlie & Myra
Hope you can make it out here.
Jul 09, 2017, 11:12 AM

F5j

I just signed up. Looking like a good turnout!
Jul 09, 2017, 11:33 AM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
Looking like a really nice turnout guys! Went flying yesterday and the grass is better than I've ever seen it. The new owners seems as if they actually intend to make money selling nice sod (shocking thought, I know)

Charlie, really hope you guys can make it. I guess we'll know in a week.

-Matt
Jul 10, 2017, 10:16 AM
MNZONA SOAR

Camping?

Matt is there onsite camping or a nearby RV park? Thanks Brad
Jul 10, 2017, 02:58 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Looks like half the EVEFPHX crew is going. Please add me to the list: Corky Miller

I will get registered
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Jul 10, 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Jul 10, 2017, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjun1
Matt is there onsite camping or a nearby RV park? Thanks Brad
hey Brad

plenty of space for RVs (no hookups though)

I'll be there with trailer in tow

Philip
Jul 10, 2017, 08:39 PM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket rocket
hey Brad plenty of space for RVs (no hookups though) I'll be there with trailer in tow Philip
Well,

if Philip is camping, then so am I.

It's only a couple of miles back to the field from the brewpub.

Jul 10, 2017, 08:53 PM
MNZONA SOAR
Quote:
hey Brad

plenty of space for RVs (no hookups though)

I'll be there with trailer in tow

Philip
Thanks Philip. I'm trying to make it but Minnesota is a long way. It would be a good time. Brad
Jul 10, 2017, 10:42 PM
To clarify regarding camping, the new management at the Sod Farm has deemed that there can't be any overnight camping there, I'm sorry to say. I wasn't at the meeting with them when this was discussed, but I'm speculating that they might be concerned about such things as wildfires--this has been a problem in the Moriarty/McIntosh area recently with the current dry conditions. Also, perhaps the new management just plain doesn't trust us, yet--despite the fact that we've been doing this for quite some time when the Sod Farm was run by Gardner Turfgrass.

For those of you who will be needing an RV park, here's one link--in Edgewood, which is about 20 miles from the Sod Farm. https://www.route66rvparkedgewood.com/

I apologize for this unhappy news. I hope this won't deter anyone from coming to the BAM contest.
Jul 11, 2017, 12:34 AM
Today I spoke to Bob Hudson, who is the Moriarty Airport Manager and President of the Albuquerque Soaring Club, and he said it will be ok for pilots flying in the BAM to park their RV's at the airport overnight. I think you will be able to park on the main ramp near the terminal building.

If you plan on staying at the airport please contact Bob a day or two in advance. His number is (505) 832-5072.

The airport is about 15 minutes from the contest site and very close to the Brewery!

Mike
Jul 11, 2017, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC
Today I spoke to Bob Hudson, who is the Moriarty Airport Manager and President of the Albuquerque Soaring Club, and he said it will be ok for pilots flying in the BAM to park their RV's at the airport overnight. I think you will be able to park on the main ramp near the terminal building.

If you plan on staying at the airport please contact Bob a day or two in advance. His number is (505) 832-5072.

The airport is about 15 minutes from the contest site and very close to the Brewery!

Mike
Mike
That's great!!! Thanks for getting that connection.
Jul 11, 2017, 04:47 PM
While the BAM is still nearly a month away, we want to remind all those procrastinators among you that registration will close Thursday, Aug 10 so that Scorekeeper Bill can prepare the flight matrix and score sheets. There will be no late entries allowed on the day of the contest.
So get your entries into http://www.soarabq.org/F5J_forms_2017/ESC_2017Form.html and start polishing up/ fixing/building your planes for this great event.

Richard the Registrar
Jul 20, 2017, 12:52 AM
As of today, we have 20 pilots officially signed up:
John Armstrong
Matthew Aurand
Philip Brister
KIrby House
John Hsu
Edward LaCroix
Charles Martin
Elwyn "Corky" Miller
Terry Pierce
Chris Pyle
Skyler Raver
Michael Roseberry
Don Scegiel
Richard Shagam
David Sieger
Dan Tandberg
Scott Todd
James Velleman
Efrain Vila
Randy West

If you don't see your name on this list, please sign up at http://www.soarabq.org/F5J_forms_2017/ESC_2017Form.html

Just a little over 3 weeks before this event. Don't miss out!!!

Richard the Registrar
Jul 24, 2017, 06:55 PM
I just signed up.....
Jul 24, 2017, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79
I just signed up.....
Thank you--See you there!!!

We now have 22 pilots--Adding Toby (the Gorilla) Herrera, and Ali Khani from FlightComp to the list
Jul 28, 2017, 12:37 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Nice turnout guys!! Wish I could be there but ABQ is just toooooooo far of a drive for me :-(
Jul 28, 2017, 02:11 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Nice turnout guys!! Wish I could be there but ABQ is just toooooooo far of a drive for me :-(
You drive a Prius. Come on it's not that far
Jul 28, 2017, 04:38 PM
And your air conditioner will get a massive workout.

--
Greg
Jul 28, 2017, 05:06 PM
Team Hello Kitty
AC in a Prius? Whenever I see Jerry driving he's always using one of these:
Name: hand-fan.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 5.3 KB
Description:
Jul 28, 2017, 05:50 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
That's my "Eco A/C " :-)
Ya the the gas to get there would only cost me like 10bucks ;-)

Ps edit : I'll see if I can talk my boss in letting me off,,,, oh but that's the weekend of our clubs Practice F5J. Guess I'd better be there.
Last edited by Airman74; Jul 28, 2017 at 05:57 PM.
Jul 31, 2017, 01:51 PM
Moriarty Municipal Camping Update.

If you are planning on camping, RV style at the airport, there is electricity available.

I spoke to Bob, the airport manager, on Saturday and if you want to do a cook out that will also be ok.

PM me if you need more info and Bob is not available.

Mike
Jul 31, 2017, 07:53 PM
thanks Mike

I'm hoping to use the airport for my RV parking spot

Philip
Jul 31, 2017, 08:06 PM
Philip,

I forgot to mention previously that Bob is ok with RV er's using the shower in the Terminal Building. You can contact me via PM, or Bob for the combination for entrance.

Alas, there no sewage hookup though.

Mike
Aug 06, 2017, 08:20 PM
on the road again.......hoping to make Moriarty by Thursday pm

going via the scenic route, should hit Pietown tomorrow or Tuesday

Philip plus family
Aug 06, 2017, 08:42 PM
Quote:
on the road again.......hoping to make Moriarty by Thursday pm

going via the scenic route, should hit Pietown tomorrow or Tuesday

Philip plus family
Have a safe and scenic trip, Philip. Looking forward to seeing you here!!!
Aug 06, 2017, 08:54 PM
Right now, we have 24 pilots registered, with room for a few more!!!

Terry Pierce
Richard Shagam
Charles Martin
Randy West
Efrain Vila
Chris Pyle
Michael Roseberry
Matthew Aurand
John Hsu
Scott Todd
Edward LaCroix
KIrby House
David Sieger
Dan Tandberg
Elwyn "Corky" Miller
Philip Brister
Don Scegiel
Skyler Raver
James Velleman
John Armstrong
Ali Khani
Toby Herrera
Terry Tombaugh
Justin Rizor

Remember, registration closes this Thursday nite, so if you're coming, please let us know ASAP.
Signup is at http://www.soarabq.org/F5J_forms_2017/ESC_2017Form.html
If you do have trouble with the signup page website (some have), please contact me directly at RNShagam 'at' gmail.com

Aug 06, 2017, 09:30 PM
SHADYBOY
I'm not going to be able to make it this year. I have a room reservation at the Sunshine Inn. If you need a room let me know.
Aug 06, 2017, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseberry
I'm not going to be able to make it this year. I have a room reservation at the Sunshine Inn. If you need a room let me know.
Sorry to hear that, Mike. Thanks for letting me know. Hope you can make it out next year.
Richard the Registrar
Aug 07, 2017, 11:00 AM
Charles Martin
Quote:
... Pietown tomorrow or Tuesday Philip plus family
Visit the VLA in Magdalena

https://public.nrao.edu/visit/very-large-array/

Aug 07, 2017, 08:44 PM
RV7guy

Bummer

Sure wish I could make this one. This a great site!! But, I've been off for 3 weeks and back to reality tomorrow. Maybe next year. Retirement is a possibility in the next year!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Aug 07, 2017, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
Yep, great place to visit--featured in the Jodie Foster movie, 'Contact'. No, the astronomers really don't sit in front of the dish antennae, listening to the stars with earphones
Aug 08, 2017, 12:32 AM
Where is the lift?
Just got confirmation that we can't make it this year. Hoping for life to be more normal in just a few more months.

Charlie & Myra
Aug 08, 2017, 12:36 AM
Flyin' High Now
We will miss you Mike, Darwin, Charlie, and Myra! Hope to see all of you soon...at least locally.

-Randy
Aug 08, 2017, 12:56 AM
If anyone does need to cancel at the last minute--that is, before Thursday evening, could you please notify me directly via email to RNShagam 'at' Gmail.com. That way Scorekeeper Bill can prepare a more accurate flight matrix. Thanks

(I'm having a bit of trouble correlating screen names to real names.)

Aug 08, 2017, 11:38 AM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
Well, only a few more days!

I'm going to be out Friday morning. The location is the first sod circle south of Otero Rd/A134. Sod is looking good - attached image is from Friday when I played hooky from work. There is a chance of rain (monsoon season here in NM), so bring light rain jackets.

Google Maps Link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...!4d-106.030421

Lat/Long: 3452'54.4"N 10601'49.5"W

NOAA Point Forecast: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...unit=0&dd=&bw=

See you all out there!

-Matt
Aug 08, 2017, 05:45 PM
" There is a chance of rain (monsoon season here in NM), so bring light rain jackets.".......and hope to heck that it doesn't rain out there enough between now and then to produce actual MUD on the access road, although flying from the first circle will prevent having to navigate back further where only 4WD dares to tread, or actually slip and slide. I almost got stuck out there last summer after heavy rains and CVT trannys ARE NOT the answer.
Aug 08, 2017, 07:17 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
WOW!!! 24pilots! And with all the big dogs too!!
Nice going guys!
Aug 08, 2017, 07:53 PM
Almost there, 650 miles done in a 500 mile trip..... camping at Manzano State Park tonight, only 15 miles or so from the sod farm

weather is cool and dry tonight

Philip
Aug 08, 2017, 08:47 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Can't wait to see you Philip oh everyone else too
Aug 08, 2017, 09:50 PM
Here's a word from your friendly CD. We will have a few "local" rules in effect, and we want every one to know about them.

Field Procedures:

The new owners of the sod farm are being very supportive, so much so that anybody working at the farm during the weekend will probably join us for lunch. They are welcome to do so. However, the new owners have also asked that we remind everyone to NOT drive on the sod, not even to turn around. The irrigation system will be off all day Saturday and Sunday - they will irrigate Saturday and Sunday nights, instead, which means all equipment must be off the field before we depart for the evening. And finally, they require nobody camp overnight. There have been intruders, and they cannot guarantee safety after dark.

Safety:

Safety is first, and we have a draft Emergency Action Plan, just in case.... What constitutes an emergency is (1) blood actually dripping to the ground; or (2) open flames. Let the CD know, and we will invoke our Emergency Action Plan (EAP).

For the contestants, the EAP boils down to this simple procedure: all airplanes will land. The EAP consists mostly of "Call 911" after that, but we have a cadre of club members that are ticket-holding graduates of the Red Cross First Aid and CPR training. Once the emergency is resolved, the flight group that was interrupted will re-start their flight group.

More safety: Thunderstorms are predicted ("Chance of..."). This is the rule: If we see lightning, and if we hear thunder afterwards, then all flying stops. If no lightning or thunder for 30 minutes, we re-start, and the flight group that was interrupted will re-start.

And finally: in the event of rain (which typically commences late in the afternoon in these parts), flying will cease and we will pack up. The dirt on the roads turns to instant, no-bottom gumbo, and no one will escape if we wait. How do you think we know?

Local Rules:

We can lay out eight flying spots with plenty of room. Therefore, the flyoffs will also be the top eight flyers after the preliminary rounds. The rules round down to seven, but we do not intend to waste a slot (or, some one's opportunity to fly).

Grievances: a grievance regarding someone violating the rules of F5J can be filed with the CD, along with a $20 bill. After review, and further review by a rules jury (there are three members), if the grievance is upheld, the $20 is returned, and the appropriate action taken. If the grievance is not upheld, the $20 goes to the Albuquerque Soaring Association as part of the funds used to stage the contest.

We are really looking forward to this. F5J is a big deal in these parts, and we enjoy it very much.
Aug 09, 2017, 04:54 AM
hey Mr Friendly CD.....

what time do the fly-offs start on Sunday ??

hopefully after lunch or as late as possible

Philip
Aug 09, 2017, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proppy jon
Can't wait to see you Philip oh everyone else too
and the family is ready for you too

Philip
Aug 09, 2017, 07:32 AM
Philip:

So, you were awake, too.

Yeah, we intend to start fly offs after lunch. My thought is that another round of prelims is more important than another round of fly offs. As long as we get at least three fly off rounds, I will be satisfied.

Yours, Greg
Aug 10, 2017, 08:12 AM
I was able to align the stars. Will see you Saturday morning. Please put me in the Matrix. Larry
Aug 10, 2017, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
I was able to align the stars. Will see you Saturday morning. Please put me in the Matrix. Larry
You're on the list.
Happy to have you aboard, Larry
See you Saturday!!!
Richard
Aug 10, 2017, 01:23 PM
For those of you arriving at the Sod Farm on Friday, us club members expect to be there setting up by Noon.

If you should arrive before us, please make sure you heed the rules posted by Greg at post #70 above. The coordinates posted a little earlier are a bit misleading--we should be setting up on the east side of that Sod circle. South of the barn and near the tree where the all-important port-a-potty will be.
Aug 10, 2017, 08:22 PM
settling in to the pilots' lounge with Jim arrived now and I must say it's very pleasant, went to the soaring museum this afternoon and saw a T-21 similar to the one I soloed in way back when.....

Philip
Aug 10, 2017, 08:53 PM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
I'll be out by 9:30 or so in the morning.

See you guys!

-Matt
Aug 10, 2017, 09:13 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
ProppyJon and I are headed out about 3.30am and hope to make afternoon practice before rain. Maybe by 1:00pm
Aug 10, 2017, 09:21 PM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnshagam
South of the barn and near the tree where the all-important port-a-potty will be.
A port-a-potty in the shade of a tree sounds nice.

Aug 10, 2017, 11:54 PM

Registration is Closed

Registration is now closed--Thank you all for signing up. It should be a great competition.
I have the following signed up :

Terry Pierce
Richard Shagam
Charles Martin
Randy West
Efrain Vila
Chris Pyle
Matthew Aurand
John Hsu
Scott Todd
Edward LaCroix
KIrby House
David Sieger
Dan Tandberg
Elwyn "Corky" Miller
Philip Brister
Don Scegiel
Skyler Raver
James Velleman
John Armstrong
Ali Khani
Toby Herrera
Terry Tombaugh
Justin Rizor
Larry Jolly
Lee Wolfe

If you think you have signed up, but don't see your name, please contact me ASAP before Scorekeeper Bill hits the print button.
See y'all real soon!!!

Aug 11, 2017, 09:29 AM
yesterday I tied a couple of yellow streamers to the Otero Road sign pole to make finding the sod farm turn-off easier for out-of-towners

was windy last night, hope they're still there or some local (Matt maybe) is putting up an "F5J" sign

Philip
Aug 11, 2017, 11:07 AM
We'll have signs up pointing to the sod farm
Aug 11, 2017, 11:49 AM
At the field now, and if you avoid the puddles, no problem. Wind is currently ESE at about 6. We are set up for nine lanes, into the wind. We can transition easily to the West wind forecast for tomorrow. The grass is in excellent shape.

In the puddles, watch out! There is not a wrecker in all of Torrance County that can pull you out.

Yours, Greg
Aug 11, 2017, 09:32 PM
If there is a lot of rain tonight, the road in may get pretty muddy. You have a better chance getting in from the south.

Shared route
From Torrance County Dispatch Center to Co Rd A149 via Co Rd A080 and Co Rd A149.

1. Head east on Co Rd A080 toward Old New Mexico 41
2. Turn left onto Co Rd A077/Co Rd A149
3. Arrive at location: Co Rd A149

For the best route in current traffic visit https://goo.gl/maps/i65gCWj814x
Aug 11, 2017, 10:59 PM
The rain commenced at the sod farm at about 2:30. After an early dinner, Charles and I went back out to the sod farm to check it out. After several hours of steady and sometimes heavy rain, we could not quite get to the gate entrance on Otero Road, into the sod farm. We came to the edge of the water while still several hundred yards from the gate.

I remained in Moriarty until 8:30, then came through steady rain back into Albuquerque.

Our current plan is this: I will go to Moriarty early, and post both here on RCGroups, and in the group e-mail to the contest committee, what the situation is. After that, I will check back in every two hours or so. No one should start from Albuquerque until I can determine that the water (and mud) levels in the sod farm proper are beginning to recede. If the rain stops tonight, and the wind blows a bit, things may be passable in the mud.

Yours, Greg
Aug 12, 2017, 12:35 AM
Wow. I hope you guys get to fly.

Where I live in NW Montana, it has not rained since late May. A good portion of the state is on fire.

--
Greg
Aug 12, 2017, 09:06 AM
Any updates to the update?
Aug 12, 2017, 09:13 AM
Right now, the Otero road entrance is impassible for most vehicles. Greg will review the situation again at noon
Aug 12, 2017, 09:22 AM
Disregard my prior post. Thx
Aug 13, 2017, 05:29 AM
It was great hanging out with you guys!
Sail plane museum was cool!
Lisa's breakfast fine food!

I am grateful for rain in general!

But two of my favorite contests JEM and now BAM canceled because of rain! OH NO!

If you go to fly today hope nobody gets stuck in mud.

I missed Beers at Brewery but that may have saved me from a hangover!

See you next time.

Scott
Aug 13, 2017, 05:31 AM
Raining in Valkey now!
3:30 AM. No meteorites visible!
Aug 13, 2017, 06:29 AM
We were able to get in an unofficial contest Saturday afternoon. BAM should proceed today, as mud at field is expected to ease up. Pilots meeting time estimated at 830am. Will fly as many rounds as practical--no 'fly-off' is planned for now. Specifics TBD
Last edited by rnshagam; Aug 13, 2017 at 06:48 AM.
Aug 13, 2017, 08:20 AM
I tried coming in from the south. It is much worse. Continue to come in on Otero road if you know what's good for you.
Aug 13, 2017, 08:00 PM
Successful contest today--flew 8 rounds in glorious weather, despite the mud. Greg the CD will be posting results soon.
Aug 13, 2017, 09:32 PM
I really enjoyed flying with the great pilots from out of state. We all realize it is a very long trip for many of you. Thank you for coming to fly with us at ASA.
Aug 13, 2017, 09:47 PM
we survived the mud to encounter wonderful soaring conditions all day, dead calm in the morning and thermal breezes later

had fun with the 20 year old Pike Plus today

thanks ASA
Philip

PS :- scores from yesterday ??
Aug 13, 2017, 11:27 PM
Overkill is underrated
Quote:
...had fun with the 20 year old Pike Plus today

Thanks ASA
Philip
It should be noted that Philip is the only sailplane pilot known to break the sound barrier during his 30 second 'launch' to altitude.
My ears are still ringing...

-Ed
Aug 14, 2017, 12:20 AM
If you loved our BAM 2017 F5J Competition, but would like to try something a little slower paced, come to our 1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL F3RES IN NEW MEXICO CONTEST, Nov 11-12, 2017, sponsored again by ASA. The venue is the fabulous Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park,. We can absolutely promise NO MUD.

See http://www.soarabq.org/F3RES_forms_2017/F3RES_Form.html for more info and registration.

Aug 14, 2017, 11:00 AM
It's great that they were able to pull off a successful contest in spite of the mud. Congrats to everyone. I cancelled after hearing the Friday night conditions, because I have had several unpleasant mud experiences out there and conditions have to be nearly perfect before I will venture out. But Richard is right...no mud at the Balloon Park.....be there !

Quick Reply