How is DJI Mavic Pro getting such long range compared to full size TX and recievers? - RC Groups
Jun 19, 2017, 01:44 PM
Discussion

How is DJI Mavic Pro getting such long range compared to full size TX and recievers?

Hi,

DJI Mavic Pro claims a transmitter range of 4.3 miles.
From what I've seen of range tests.. it's getting 4.3 miles and in some in some cases even more range.
I just took a look at one in the store. It's really small.. especially the TX.

Comparing it to my quad and fill size TX (which has a range of 1000 meters) and many others on the market. How the heck is DJI getting such great range out of such a small package?

I look at some of the vids on long range setups and you'd have to have a full backpack on. Or antenna towers etc etc...

I asked the clerk at the store, Maniacs hobby, he told me it's because everyone else is analog while DJI was digital. That doesn't make sense to me as my tx is digital... Spektrum is digital etc etc. I don't know too many that use an analog tx these days.

So how are they doing it? DJI that is.

Cheers...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2017, 02:53 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
As has been said for years....Secret Sauce!... They have a proprietary signal transmission. In the case of the Mavic... OccuSync. You can add antennas and boosters to your stuff, for whatever reason, but dollar for doughnuts adding the same to DJI they will blow away all the others...that's life in the DJI lane as it stands. BTW that 4.3 miles is for the Downlink for the HiDef down feed, not necessarily how far she will actually transmit to the aircraft for control.

You shouldn't be flying that far for just about any reason, but the punch through compared to others transmission protocols will give a rock solid signal at about every LOS situation.
Last edited by Repaid1; Jun 19, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Jun 19, 2017, 03:23 PM
The main reason is that the video is around the 2.4 range. All of the inputs are digital. So what's going on is the quad is using a full digital communication in the same 2.4ish zone and using methods to reduce interference from the outgoing and incoming signals. If you had enough time you could make a similar system but they have a patent on it I believe.
Jun 19, 2017, 03:26 PM
Also their is natural benefit in using a digital control signal because it no longer needs to fully saturate the band. You can simply send short packets occasionally instead of a continuous stream of control signal like our analog txs use.
Jun 19, 2017, 07:08 PM
Thanks all for for the explanation.
I can understand that maybe DJI found a better way with (OccuLink), but why aren't others jumping on the band wagon and just using their own encryption/data method... protocols or what have you?

The Mav Pro specs state the TX Power is FCC:≤26 dBm. Which exceeds the Spektrum DX8 power rating from what I've read.

Wouldn't that play into things?

@ Repaid1 - there's several vids on YouTube showing the stock Mavic even exceeding 4.3 miles. I think one hit 6+ miles. Granted, most are from a mountain top... Or hill. But, that's​ still impressive for a stock bird.. and for such a tiny bird/tx. And they had video link with their cell phones!

I was rather blown away by it. And did the... Well, why won't my bird do that and more!? Mines bigger, beefier... And cost just as much! Lol
Last edited by chaseX4; Jun 19, 2017 at 07:19 PM.
Jul 05, 2017, 07:53 AM
Other wifi drones did the same using range extenders (wifi routers), you can find 5 miles flights on youtube, so the technology is mainstream already, and nothing secret, just not packed into a drone.