FPV Setup on a RC Boat - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 19, 2017, 07:28 AM
Discussion

FPV Setup on a RC Boat

Hi

I am trying to connect a camera to my RC Boat and sadly having a few issues and wondered if someone could help.

I have purchased the Boscam FPV Transmitter TS582000 and RC805 Receiver, and connected a HD 1080P Mini AHD Camera 960P 0.0001 Low Lux With 6mm Lens CCTV Waterproof Outdoor Security Camera Bullet Work for HD AHD DVR. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-3-...608.0.0.oayxnj)

I have cut the lead for the camera to rewire and im struggling to get an image displayed once wired. I was expecting 3 wires to be present after cutting but i have 5. Any ideas what should be connecting to the video on the transmitter. I have connected the yellow lead but i get a vert static display.

Have i made a mistake and purchased the wrong camera? Is this specifically for a system that wont work how i want it to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2017, 08:57 AM
Without plenty of good photos of what you have actually done, it is tricky.

Most likely cause is incorrect wiring or incorrectly set channels.

Wiring is easy.. camera three wires red, black and yellow. red and black to 12v, yellow to transmitter video input, again, usually yellow. Transmitter, red & black to 12v, the same 12v supply as the camera. Insulate the ends of all other wires.

If that doesn't work, check the channel selection, the documentation is not always 100% correct, go thru all combinations.

If that still doesn't work then, go back to basics. Firstly connect the camera directly to your screen to check you get a picture. Usually three wires, red, black and yellow for signal. So red & black to 12v and then black and yellow to your screen.

Having said all that, firstly, I've previously had two of those receivers and they were total crap, secondly a 2 watt transmitter is also a crap option and will cause you no end of grief, thirdly you will get lots of signal reflection issues with water. Decent antennas will help with this and avoid having to use a 2watt tx.
Jun 19, 2017, 10:18 AM
thanks for your response, all great info.

I understood it as you have mentioned, however when i cut the cable connector off the camera (yellow rca type) it had 3 wires, and theres a dc input cable also (for power of course) which had 2 wires so i have 5 wires in total for the camera.... I think this is where im losing the plot.

I have a standard camera which isnt waterproof etc and i can see a picture with that camera. so somewhere on those 5 wires im getting lost...

The transmitter i thought was a bit excessive so i actually got a 600mw one instead. I have purchased new aerials to allow for the water issue...
Jun 22, 2017, 04:25 PM
You're trying to use a 1080p HD camera with an analog SD video transmitter, that's not going to work. You need a SD (480i NTSC or PAL) to work with the standard video transmitters.
Jun 26, 2017, 04:56 AM
thanks very much for your help. yes i thought that may be the case and the issue is me purchasing the wrong camera.

Will order a new one
Jun 26, 2017, 07:17 AM
Don't. that is an analog camera. you probably are just using the wrong wires on the connector you cut off. look at the rca connector and find the wire connected to the center pin. that's video. find the wire connected to the outside sleeve of the connector. that's ground. connect those two to the vtx and you should be all set.
Jun 26, 2017, 11:38 AM
Analog HD cameras exist, there are two different formats for security DVRs. I ran into precisely this issue diagnosing a security camera a friend got to replace one that failed. I scoped the output and it looked like a normal composite video signal but the timing was way off. Then I looked it up and realized there are analog HD formats. This camera won't work, trust me.
Jun 27, 2017, 05:58 AM
thanks again. I have ordered another camera, it was only $9 so not breaking the bank. Ill try with this new one.