Anyone have designs on a decent bilge pump? - RC Groups
Jun 18, 2017, 11:42 PM
Super BRO Bro..........Bro.
Discussion

Anyone have designs on a decent bilge pump?

Years ago I saw in rc boat modeler (is that mag still around?) A design for a bilge bump made from half a penny.

Now since uncle sugar disapproves of people destroying govt property, and the passing of time provides us with more and more options, Im wondering what is available today to get what should stay outside the boat back out where it came from.

Anybody have any ideas or ready made options?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2017, 04:30 PM
Just Plane Nutts
I haven't seen any homemade designs, but there's this: https://www.rcplanet.com/Ram_Bilge_P...FUtNfgodBRcGXg
Jun 20, 2017, 07:25 AM
Yeah, thats a good option.

Does anyone build anything anymore?

The BB gun battleship guys used to make everything from scratch as it was usually cheaper and tougher than commercial units.
Jun 20, 2017, 10:52 AM
Big Boats Rule!
More info is needed. Small or large? Scale boat or racer? General purpose occasional use or constant emergency? Auto or manual?
I sail bigger sailboats, and when you sail in big wind you usually get water inside from the water splashing over the deck. I have been saving the little pumps used in the Swiffer Wet floor mops. I usually break the mops weak handle when I'm in a hurry to clean the floor. They are nice little 380 size pumps that run well on 6 volts. Should also work well for small subs or fire monitors. I power them off the oversized rx pack used in sailboats with just a manual switch. Could be on their own power, too. As I sail past, flip the switch and see if there is any water in the bilge.
Automobile windshield washer pumps can be used too, but be careful here as some need to be fully wet (not self priming) before they pump.

Dave
Jun 21, 2017, 08:23 AM
Swiffer pumps sound like a cheap way to go. I have a Dumas Heritage 12 Ill be building and that could use one for sure and I also have a Robbe prinzess that has practically no freeboard, and I just put an esc in that has reverse which ships water over the stern quite well if Im not careful.

Will the swiffer pumps lift water to prime or do they need to be in water to work?
Jun 22, 2017, 05:00 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Keep an eye out for those wet jets in thrift stores.
Jun 27, 2017, 12:09 AM
hey guys check out
http://www.rc-sub-workshop.com
they have everything ...
Jun 28, 2017, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainClod
they have everything ...
They sure do!

Excellent resource, Thank you.
Jul 01, 2017, 08:02 PM
If it is a fast electric or gas boat the old copper hairpin style will work.
Gerald.
Jul 05, 2017, 01:34 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
The rc combat guys would basically take a brass rod and solder an S shaped impeller onto the rod.
Then stick that through the end of a copper pipe cap that had the side ported and plumbed
to connect to vinyl tubing that would lead overboard.

The classic "penny pump" was an S shaped piece of brass soldered to one side of a penny and
a brass rod or wheel collar soldered to the opposite side.
That was also connected
through a copper pipe cap to the motor. The motor mount was often just a brass rod
soldered to the outside of the pipe cap, and pipe clamped or zip tied to the motor.

Later pumps housings were drilled or milled out of sheet acrylic with similar mountings and plumbing.
Jul 06, 2017, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
The rc combat guys would basically take a brass rod and solder an S shaped impeller onto the rod.
Then stick that through the end of a copper pipe cap that had the side ported and plumbed
to connect to vinyl tubing that would lead overboard.

The classic "penny pump" was an S shaped piece of brass soldered to one side of a penny and
a brass rod or wheel collar soldered to the opposite side.
That was also connected
through a copper pipe cap to the motor. The motor mount was often just a brass rod
soldered to the outside of the pipe cap, and pipe clamped or zip tied to the motor.

Later pumps housings were drilled or milled out of sheet acrylic with similar mountings and plumbing.
Thats the one I was thinking of.
Jul 06, 2017, 01:13 PM
Just Plane Nutts
I made one for a tiny battleship model once.

The model was just the hull and the works inside for a model that came with an electric motor and a little gear mech that would steer the rudder back and forth. it was designed to run free in a swimming pool.

But it kept taking on water through the prop shaft opening. SO what I did was put a piece of tape on the drive shaft about an inch from the hull opening so that it stuck out on one side of said shaft, and spun around with it. Then while the motor was running, I poured a little hot wax into the bottom around the shaft all the way to the motor. The spinning flap of tape carved a small, half-circle cavity in the wax as it spun around and the wax cooled.

Now when I run it, any water that seeped in through the prop shaft hole would encounter the spinning tape and get flung out the top of the open hull.

This is a rough sketch of the "sump pump":

Jul 10, 2017, 09:31 AM
Excess Ballast
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
Keep an eye out for those wet jets in thrift stores.
Or get some lawn/garden care done. There are spray on fertilizers, weed killers, and pest repellents that include a battery powered applicator. Use the product then strip down the applicator wand to find name brand AA batteries and a pump assembly that is perfect for boat use EMYC Newsletter with pump info.

Then you just need a water detection circuit to turn your pump on and off. I imagine you can find an educational project kit with all the parts at a slightly premium price if you didn't want to source all the parts yourself. Or you could get a LeakFrog/LeakBug/LeakPuppy and strip it down and get a bonus obnoxious water alarm.
Last edited by andyzib; Jul 10, 2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Link fix, this isn't Reddit.
Jul 11, 2017, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info from the newsletter andy.

Here I thought I discovered this pump on my own but I guess others out there are just like me, a salvor.

I scored one of those lil pumps out of the wifes weed killer when the system got clogged. Why do we need electric weed killer again? I dont know but Ill take what I can get as far as freebys goes.

I plan on using one of these as a cooling pump for my Robbe Dusseldorf fire boat and Ill be on the lookout for another for the bilge.
Sep 26, 2017, 11:24 PM
Why not use automotive window washer pumps? Many bolt to the bottle but some have an inlet & outlet hose. They should work on 8.4v and obviously up to 12v. If you need a cheap on/off system, you could just rig a microswitch to the rudder servo. Full lock one direction and it gets pumping.