Oct 26, 2004, 12:13 PM
Almost nothing will stick to the back of strapping tape or packing tape. If you spray the back of the tape lightly with 3M77 and let it set, then acrylic paints and just about everything else will stick to it.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2004, 01:15 PM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Thanks! I was wondering how the tape hinge would affect the finish. This sounds easy enough.

Mike S.
Oct 26, 2004, 01:50 PM
I'm posting this link in several threads, because I'm never quite sure who I told what!

I just tested a hinge idea, one that is more-or-less "invisible." As I usually do, I "over-explained" it HERE.

Mike S.
Last edited by mad mike; Jan 11, 2005 at 02:00 AM.
Oct 26, 2004, 05:02 PM
Electric Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Reeves
Scott: Thanks for the info. How much dihedral on the racer?
The battery cover seems to fit fine the way I built it. This is probably a good application for small magnets to hold it on. I didn't notice the seam in your pictures so I thought you might have taped it.

Mike/mhmitchell: I used the "mix with a little water and brush it on the joints" technique. I believe all the foaming will be out of sight. I've not heard of the Jungle Milk glue. For tape hinges, I have sprayed glue on before putting down the tape. I have used actual pinned hinges, tape hinges, hinges cut from a tyvek envelope, and hinges cut from floppy disc media and none have ever failed in any way. My favorite is tape.

Pete: The screen tool is good. Mine has two ends, one is round and one is sharp, make sure you use the right end; don't ask . I was working in the house last night so I just grabbed the pizza cutter.

I am also planning to paint this one and not use any tape on the fuse to save weight.
Cary,

I set the dihedral about 2 degrees per panel and I used a magnet both front and rear of the battery hatch to hold it on. In one of the pics you will see some tape holding the front of the hatch down - magnets that I had were not that great.

Scott
Oct 26, 2004, 05:22 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
Mike i just apply the polyurethane glue mixed with water with a bamboo skewer .. and i have also started using a ziplock sandwich bag with the tip of one corner cut off and i use it like a cake decorator uses a piping bag for cake icing ..

Great plane Scotta .. i loaded the plans on the comp .. going to kinkos thursday .. i love the little GeeBee-D .. thanks for doing the plans ..
Oct 26, 2004, 07:03 PM
Hey! You think this one is good, just WAIT until you see what he does NEXT!

Uh, I uh. . . Well, I have no clue what that might be. . .

But I'll bet its going to be GOOD!

Mike S.
Oct 26, 2004, 09:26 PM
Electric Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
Great plane Scotta .. i loaded the plans on the comp .. going to kinkos thursday .. i love the little GeeBee-D .. thanks for doing the plans ..
Vyceroy,

I used your idea for the UC from your Gee Bee Z1 (i think, or was it an R) any way. This has been the weakest part of the design and I am still working on a stronger UC. I need it with my landings.

If you have any suggestions I think we would all appreciate them as you have some good experience here.

Thanks

Scott
Oct 26, 2004, 09:35 PM
Electric Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mike
Hey! You think this one is good, just WAIT until you see what he does NEXT!

Uh, I uh. . . Well, I have no clue what that might be. . .

But I'll bet its going to be GOOD!

Mike S.
Mike,

I am very tempted to put up the plans for the Park Ugly Stick just so that you will have to build three planes all at the same time. I am pretty happy with the build and it flying performance.

Scott
Oct 26, 2004, 09:54 PM
Oh no.

Scott, I actually have 3 other models under construction, as well. And another about to begin.

Its a wonder I ever get one done!

At least I'll have both Cubs finished and flying and then it's a toss-up as to what gets completed next.

The Park Racer will most likely be the one that follows the Cubs, but I've got a flying boat that will pull a close second to it.

Mike S.
Last edited by mad mike; Oct 26, 2004 at 09:55 PM. Reason: should have been "Cubs," there's two of 'em, after all!
Oct 26, 2004, 10:50 PM
Crash Master
Quote:
and i have also started using a ziplock sandwich bag with the tip of one corner cut off and i use it like a cake decorator uses a piping bag for cake icing ..
Great idea!
Oct 26, 2004, 11:00 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
gene i have found it to be best for wing struts and cabanes where they connect to the wing and fuselage allows you to put the glue into small holes easily ..

I will build and see if i can think of anything Scotta .. the landing gear is all that is left of my first GeeBee .. it went in at full throttle lol looked like the real thing going in ..
Oct 26, 2004, 11:27 PM
On patrol.
Tonight's installment:

Photos 15 & 16: As Scott said in post #39 --"When you go to put the tail surfaces in you will need to trim the inner sides of the fuse where the vertical stab goes in. That way it will all sit together nicely." By cutting these bevels, the foam around the HS slots makes a nice fillet between the HS and VS.

Photo 17: Front on w/ 2 degrees dihedral per side

Photo 18: Looking like a GeeBee! Canopy fits well putting it together as shown in last night's pix.

Need to sand it again tomorrow and then I may start painting while I wait on some servos and the canopy and UC details. Take your time Scott. I think I'll slow down and actually try to get a decent finish on this one. I have no idea how to neatly mask the swoosh on the sides and wing for the traditional paint job. Any suggestions?
Oct 27, 2004, 05:04 AM
Scott,

Great design on the Park Racer, I'm trying not to look at it too much until I've got the Cub finished

I would certainly like to see the plans of the Park Ugly Stick, I think that may be my next aeroplane. The DXF's would be great, as I find printing from them much easier.

Paul C.
Oct 27, 2004, 06:58 AM
Electric Orange
Cary,

You are such a quick builder that you have put the pressure back onto me to get the drawings finished for the UC and Cowl. I finished them tonight so I will put them up.

Gee Bee is sure looking good. I tip for painting. I cut out a mask from book covering plastic. It gives a really sharp line and allows you to get thoughs complex curves which would be impossible with masking tape.

Scott
Oct 27, 2004, 07:00 AM
Electric Orange
Quote:
I will build and see if i can think of anything Scotta .. the landing gear is all that is left of my first GeeBee .. it went in at full throttle lol looked like the real thing going in ..
Vyceroy,

That would be great. I think that this will be the only part that people will have trouble with.

Scott