Electric Orange - Gee Bee D " Park Racer" - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 25, 2004, 04:58 PM
clumsy thumbs
Arrrrrgh!!!!!!! Just when I think I've decided what my next plane will be!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2004, 05:05 PM
Electric Orange
Guys,

Just had a thought. pdf's are printed A4. Letter size paper is actually slightly different proportions. Maybe when I do a tiled pdf I should use more margin on the page and just have a few more pages to the pdf. Leave it with me. Once I find the best technique / layout we should be ok in future.

Flew the Park Stick last night - I think I have a new favourite plane. Faster than the Racer and as manouverable as my poor old Pete.

Scott
Oct 25, 2004, 05:07 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Scott what program are you using to design your planes. The work you did on this is great. TM
Oct 25, 2004, 05:10 PM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Scott,

I've got the sneaking suspicion that if YOU don't design a warbird, I'm never going to get one built!

With your undercamber wings, that would open up just about anything from WWI. Maybe a nice, hollow-wing Clark Y airfoil would be easy enough for most of WWII.

Mike S.
Oct 25, 2004, 05:23 PM
Guys when I print PDF files on a Cannon bubble jet BJ330 (old I know but great printer) I select A4 paper and dont click the fit to page box this gives me true scale although sometimes it appears out about 0.5mm in 100mm in one axis.
Just to make you feel jealous/envious I will be travelling from Sydney to Orange this weekend coming to build, talk, think etc with ScottA. Oh and fly abit too!!!!
Oct 25, 2004, 07:11 PM
On patrol.
BTW: should there be a landing gear template? Any pictures of how the gear is attached? I'll be cutting parts tonight but don't want to start gluing until I know how the gear will be mounted in case it goes between some formers like in the cub.

A picture should do. I'll take sequential build pictures and post as I go along.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Oct 25, 2004 at 07:13 PM.
Oct 25, 2004, 08:26 PM
Destroyer of pieces/parts

Tiled PDF's

Yeah, I have noticed that a lot of tiled PDF plans are printed in A4 size, that makes it interesting for me to print, seeing how mostly I find letter (8.5x11 inches), and I'm too cheap to go to kinko's to have it printed. Also, not all printers will pring to the end of the page, mine will not print on the outer .25 inch. So, I end up printing everything at 93% scale, fitting a bit, and hoping it flies with a slightly higher wingloading.

Anyway, will the park racer handle some wind? Do you think going from an underchambered wing to a flat bottom will help much? I need something in my fleet that MOVES!

Tim

PS. Will it be possible to get the tiled PDF in 7.5x10 inches???? Please????
Last edited by Vampyre; Oct 25, 2004 at 08:30 PM. Reason: New idea
Oct 25, 2004, 08:40 PM
Crash Master
Hey guys... I haven't downloaded them yet, but a couple points on printing:

- I use an old Epson wide carriage printer I can print 13.5" wide by a mile or so long You should be able to find one cheap from a local recycler... I've had it for years from a company that was going laser.

- I usually use 1/2" margins on letter size paper. This should print fine on A4 as well, since it's bigger.

- I just started using the 'Print Margins' option on TurboCad for a box to be drawn around the page.

- DXF's in release-12 format seem to be the 'universal standard'. Anyone can download a free viewer which can use them. There are several out there, including Autodesk's VoloView. I'm pretty sure you can even manually tile from it.

Hope it helps!
Oct 25, 2004, 09:01 PM
On patrol.
A4 is 21cm x 29.7cm which is slightly narrower and slightly longer than U.S. letter size. As Gene pointed out, with the right margin, we should all be able to print on our local paper size w/o problem. I do this all the time in my work where I hire artists that provide drawings to me on A4 but I print and use them on letter and I provide them to others who print and use them on A4.
Oct 25, 2004, 09:23 PM
Electric Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Man
Scott what program are you using to design your planes. The work you did on this is great. TM
TM,

I use a combination of Cad packages, Rhino3D to do the surface modelling and creating the developed patterns for the curved parts. Then into Inventor and Acad for the rest. Handy having these available at work to play with (not that I do it in work time, you know what I mean).

Scott
Oct 25, 2004, 09:26 PM
Electric Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Reeves
BTW: should there be a landing gear template? Any pictures of how the gear is attached? I'll be cutting parts tonight but don't want to start gluing until I know how the gear will be mounted in case it goes between some formers like in the cub.
Cary,

The UC is totally different in this build and I will post it once I have the drawings done. I will mod the drawings to how I would like to change it from the original. UC is mounted to the underside of the wing.

So for the moment you can continue to build the fuse up without any concerns for those big feet just yet.

Scott
Oct 25, 2004, 09:31 PM
Electric Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre
Yeah, I have noticed that a lot of tiled PDF plans are printed in A4 size, that makes it interesting for me to print, seeing how mostly I find letter (8.5x11 inches), and I'm too cheap to go to kinko's to have it printed. Also, not all printers will pring to the end of the page, mine will not print on the outer .25 inch. So, I end up printing everything at 93% scale, fitting a bit, and hoping it flies with a slightly higher wingloading.

Anyway, will the park racer handle some wind? Do you think going from an underchambered wing to a flat bottom will help much? I need something in my fleet that MOVES!

Tim

PS. Will it be possible to get the tiled PDF in 7.5x10 inches???? Please????
Tim,

I see what I can do about the tiled plans. May take a few evenings as I have some other stuff on the next few nights.

I don't particularly like the way a flat plate wing flys and like all light planes the Racer does not like a lot of wind and penetration suffers as well.

The Racer will get along at full throttle but also settle down nicely as well. She will never be really fast due to those huge UC pants. Maybe you would be interested in my other latest build - the Park Ugly Stick. Hopefully a few more will be built this weekend and maybe even one with a Himaxx motor. Can't wait to see that one go.

Scott
Oct 25, 2004, 09:41 PM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Scott,

I don't think Tim meant a "flat plate wing," but maybe taking your undercamber wing and covering the bottom with a flat surface, making it a hollow wing, flat-bottomed airfoil.

Mike S.
Oct 25, 2004, 09:47 PM
HellCat
Scotta,
You did the best thing for us again :-)

Sajja
Oct 25, 2004, 11:14 PM
On patrol.
Photo 1: The puzzle as it comes out of the box .
Photo 2: Front section glued up
Photo 3: Entire "strong box" built up. I used an arrow shaft for a motor stick. I can then go back and hot glue a drilled out motor stick onto the arrow. This allows me to change down thrust/right thrust easily by changing the angle of the hole through the stick. I came up with this when messing with the baby cub and needing to convert from a round mount to a square mount.
Photo 4: Take the pizza cutter to the fuse inside to soften it up. Roll it w/o cutting it. Mash and roll it with your fingers to get the fuse bent to shape. FFF is easy to roll/bend. Haven't tried depron but from Scott's pictures it looks like he put tape on the outside to keep it from breaking. I left the skin on the FFF for strength and it bends just fine.
Photo 5: Another view with the strong box tacked in place with hot glue.

I epoxied the motor mount and the rolled portion of the "hood?". The rest I tacked with hot glue and then went back with PU glue at the end as you will see below.