Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by d0uglas, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 18, 2017, 01:35 PM
Doug
Cool

just ordered the Tidewater

I'm a float addict, but I only have access to saltwater. Nasty skanky saltwater with untold concentrations and varieties of poop.

It doesn't take much wind when taxiing to capsize a Timber, Tundra or E-flite Valiant, and steering the Valiant with moderate wind is difficult. Corrosion-X is good stuff, but this salt and bacteria is a formidable opponent, and it's cost me a lot of electronics. I could just not fly on days that aren't calm, but I have an addiction to feed.

So I embarked on a RCG and Youtube trek to find a plane that would promise less vulnerability to wind. I wasn't looking for a hotrod or something sexy like the ICON A5 (and I have no need an amphibious plane), just something to let me get airborne when wheels aren't an option due to too many people being outside. The Dynam Catalina struck me as having potential due to its wingtip floats but I had bought another Dynam plane, the Beaver, and was very disappointed in the assembly process, perhaps spoiled by Horizon. Also the Catalina was a bit large, and those I asked advised against it for my purposes.

I went to the waterplanes forum on RCG and ordered it by most views/comments, and by far above the rest was the ICON A5, kind of a sexy plane by Horizon, also scale, long flight time, decent sportiness and maybe wind resiliency. I asked in the thread if it were for me, and some nice fellow pointed me toward the Flyzone Tidewater.

The Tidewater has wingtip floats, a water rudder, and a following of folks who insist it stays pretty dry. In contrast, the ICON A5 thread attracted its share of complaints of leaks with numerous waterproofing threads, and those in the Tidewater's thread universally stand behind its sturdiness, so I just ordered it, Tx-R (going to put in a Spektrum or Lemon RX), $169 from Amazon, free two day shipping (not bad).

I'm not at all expecting a sporty plane like the Tundra (at least not without hopping it up), I just don't want to be a wind hostage. On the other hand, I just watched this video and now don't know what to expect.

Flyzone Tidewater 3D Sort of... (4 min 48 sec)

Thanks for all the advice fellas, I do appreciate it.
Doug
Latest blog entry: just ordered the Tidewater
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2017, 04:21 AM
4Stroke Nitro Aero | Genesis 8
I have a used Tidewater...
It looks like crap (from previous owner) but i got it off the water.

Only reason i have not legit flown it is whenever i went to the shore there was a crowd of swimmers.

It looks better than the Sport Cub stock, as far as power. Cool
Jun 19, 2017, 09:29 AM
Doug
Though I prefer to fly off the water anyway, one reason I have to do it in the warm weather is that all wide-open areas are packed with people, flying close to or over them is not an option (I've had too many mid-flight malfunctions and fly-aways, I'm fairly risk-averse now), though, provided there are no swimmers and not too many boats anchored and you're not next to a busy road, float flying may preserve the option to fly.

So someone recommended the Night Visionaire, a Horizon plane, which lights up bright enough for night flying, and someone came up with some hardware to affix the Apprentice floats for it. I've seen videos of people flying that in the dark, so being able to fly in the dark and off of water would be pretty sweet. Thanks for the response buddy.
Jun 20, 2017, 09:51 AM
Aloft Hobbies has a bare bones Tidewater/Camo paint for $55 on sale.

Pete
Jun 20, 2017, 06:32 PM
Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv
Aloft Hobbies has a bare bones Tidewater/Camo paint for $55 on sale.
Pete
Ouch, I missed a good deal, having the rest of the parts on hand needed to complete. But it's good to know of another nice shop, I'm seeing other things from them I want, like a 300W charger for $50 (I just bought a 750W AC/DC supply, a converted computer server PSU, with three outputs).