Help choosing a new transmitter - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 18, 2017, 09:54 AM
Discussion

Help choosing a new transmitter

I currently have an airtronics sd5g with two 6 channel receivers and I'm not happy with it. It loses signal and isn't very reliable when flying anywhere near houses or buildings possibly due to overcrowded 2.4ghz network. I would like to get the Taranis qx7 because that will probably give me the most functionality for my money, but is a spektrum dx6e or dx6i a more reliable option? Is the new Taranis just as reliable as a spektrum? Especially in terms of signal and 2.4ghz system? I mostly fly airplanes. I don't really do racing quads but would like to in the future. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Cantaloupeman; Jun 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2017, 10:32 AM
Thermals, Tom
No one beats Spektrum's customer service or feeling of quality in your hands.
Reliability is another matter.
Jun 18, 2017, 10:58 AM
Spektrum does feel great I've held my friends dx6e but what's inside is a different story. It's like apple with how they dress up their phone in a nice pretty package and make them look and feel nice but they may not necessarily be the best. As far as I know the Taranis x9d is just as a good if not better than a spektrum inside the case.
Jun 18, 2017, 12:42 PM
I would pick a Spektrum over any brand. In fact, I did. I chose Spektrum for technical quality a year before coming to work for them, and now I'd choose it again because of technology, quality of build and feel, and customer service and support. Nobody else comes anywhere close.

Andy
Jun 18, 2017, 12:57 PM
This is definitely a common theme I keep hearing. I'm sure the Taranis is fine too and whichever way I choose will yeild me happy results, but would a dx6i still be a good option? If I can get one for around 60$.
Jun 18, 2017, 01:08 PM
Also what is the difference between accst fhss-1 and dsmx? Which is better? My airtronics is fhss-1 and has problems near houses whereas my friends spektrum does not. Would this be an issue with accst? Or does wifi overcrowding affect every 2.4ghz system equally?
Jun 18, 2017, 02:50 PM
You know, every brand has some issues at some point, the critical part is how the manufacturer handles those issues. 'Ain't nobody going to question the CS at Horizon.

Next point; the more radios you have out there, (go to most any model field and the Spektrum stuff will be by far the largest number of radios you'll see) the more reports of difficulties. Most of those turn out to be user error on closer examination.

You ever try to program a Taranis? Check the threads for a virtually unanimous opion that Aloft's CS leaves a lot to be desired.

Finally, Horizon has by far the largest selection of BNF models anywhere. Now I guess you can get a Taranis to run DSMX, but it's a hassle.
Jun 18, 2017, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaloupeman
Also what is the difference between accst fhss-1 and dsmx? Which is better? My airtronics is fhss-1 and has problems near houses whereas my friends spektrum does not. Would this be an issue with accst? Or does wifi overcrowding affect every 2.4ghz system equally?
If you like Airtronics, you might like to look at the "3" version instead of the 1 you have now.

Different brands respond differently. DSMX is very robust and targeted at the competition level for high speed. Others use slower data rates to increase range.

Different ways to solve the same or different requirements.

Andy
Jun 18, 2017, 05:01 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
You know, every brand has some issues at some point, the critical part is how the manufacturer handles those issues. 'Ain't nobody going to question the CS at Horizon.

Check the threads for a virtually unanimous opion that Aloft's CS leaves a lot to be desired.
From my experience I do not think that is a fair assessment. There are complaints posted here on RCG for both Horizon Hobby and Aloft Hobbies. Andy being the helpful guy that he is responds to the Horizon Hobby posts and gets the issues resolved. Wayne being the helpful guys that he is responds to the Aloft Hobbies posts and gets the issues resolved.

Iíve been an Aloft Hobbies customer for a few years and have had super service from them. I've also purchased Horizon Hobby products and had super service, so for me the experience has been equal.

Mike
Jun 18, 2017, 05:27 PM
No bounce, No play.
As Jet just said, both have been bend-over-backwards good service for me.
Jun 18, 2017, 06:00 PM
Well I find threads like this one particularly appropriate in this case and I think the OP should pay special attention to the last comment in the thread....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...ort-awful.html
Jun 18, 2017, 06:27 PM
So in other words customer support shouldn't be as much of a concern because the Taranis is more of a diy radio?
Jun 18, 2017, 06:31 PM
Quote:
So in other words customer support shouldn't be as much of a concern because the Taranis is more of a diy radio?
That is what my conclusion is concerning these open source radios. If you're big on computer programming or say writing computer instructions in DOS vs a graphical user interface, well then go ahead and consider it.

I'll stay with my JR/Spektrum, Spektrum and Futaba tx's. I'm also done here....
Jun 18, 2017, 07:36 PM
"So in other words customer support shouldn't be as much of a concern because the Taranis is more of a diy radio?"

I bought a Taranis a month or so ago to play with and have been having a blast. The ability of Open Tx to let you "have it your way" is unmatched.

If you track the threads, you will see that the community is very friendly and helpful.

If you are completely happy with "canned" solutions - its probably not for you.
Jun 18, 2017, 08:43 PM
Quote:
I currently have an airtronics sd5g with two 6 channel receivers and I'm not happy with it. It loses signal and isn't very reliable when flying anywhere near houses or buildings possibly due to overcrowded 2.4ghz network. I would like to get the Taranis qx7 because that will probably give me the most functionality for my money, but is a spektrum dx6e or dx6i a more reliable option? Is the new Taranis just as reliable as a spektrum? Especially in terms of signal and 2.4ghz system? I mostly fly airplanes. I don't really do racing quads but would like to in the future. Thanks in advance.
Perhaps this video will help you in your selection? The video gets interesting at around the 3 1/2 minute time line.
(FYI, I'm not aware of ANY other radio MFG that has posted a similar video showing how their equipment works in a crowded RF environment)

Spektrum DSMX 100 Transmitters

DSMX (10 min 6 sec)