This thread is privately moderated by Pappyjkns, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 17, 2017, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

R/C Diary Pt. 36 “My R/C World Update!

June 17/17:

Background:
“Tempus Fugit!” or the English version….”Time Flies!” It’s been six months since I last posted a blog! Perhaps that gives you an idea that I’ve been busy! You would be right! With a wife, five children and eight grandchildren, life is never dull! Somehow, in the midst of all the chaos, I have to try and squeeze in some r/c time!

I had great plans to repair/build some of my existing stock over the winter…..didn’t happen! Two major deals happened; starting with a bathroom renovation, that led to a kitchen renovation, which grew into a whole main floor update! It’s a bloody virus I tell you! : ) Unless, you been down this road, you can’t even begin to imagine the amount of time and energy that goes into planning, shopping and executing a project of this magnitude, not to mention the chaos of trying to live a “normal” life! Then there was a 23 day visit to Vancouver, BC…the “wet” coast in May. It’s not all bad….while visiting out west, I had the opportunity to fly full aerobatics in a 60 year old Harvard (AT-6 )! 2 x 360 degree rolls & 2 full loops! Negative 3.5 G’s! I even got to take over the stick and put the big yellow beast into a series of “S” turns! Let me tell you now….that was an experience of a lifetime! : )

Back to the purpose of this blog….r/c sailplanes! Just before I headed out west, I saw a listing for two 2M sailplanes on Kijjijji and contacted the owner to see if he would hold them until I got back. To my delight he did and the next day upon my return, I drove for 1 1/2 hrs each way to a small town just south of Barrie, Ontario. The two planes were in excellent condition and they included older 72 Mhz radios….Bonus! Hats of to the builder….Scott Forsyth was his name…..obviously, very experienced and skilled! The first sailplane was a wine/silver coloured Spirit 78 and the other was a gorgeous sky blue & silver Sophisticated Lady complete with pilot and instrumentation detail! It was love at first sight! Lol!

When I got them back home, I checked them over, tested the balance….spot on and I didn't change a thing. I took them to our flying field for some hand launching & they floated out nice and straight. Yesterday, I took the Spirit 78 to our LSF weekly flying contest knowing full well that I hadn't even really flown the plane yet! Obviously I wasn't going to be competitive. I pre-loaded all my gear into the garage the night before but couldn't find my check list so I just winged it. The next morning, I was up early and started loading up the van. I did a quick check and headed off to the field. While at the field, I started unloading and setting up the sun shade, etc when I noticed I had forgotten the bloody wings! DOH! So freakin’ frustrating! What a doughhead! What’s that old saying? “The hurrier I go….the behinder I get!” Back to my house to pick up the missing wings! What a bother! Lesson learned!! USE A CHECKLIST!

Back at the field, I noticed the antenna wire was just hanging down on the Spirit, so I wrapped it around the fuselage and taped it down. I performed my radio check….checked the operation of the controls… good to go! Time to go flying! I tried a few hand launches and she flew out nice and straight….a real floater. Next it was my turn on the hi-start! I was nervous because a. it’s a new plane and b. I haven't flown since last October! I hooked up the line….checked the controls one more time and let ‘er rip! Almost immediately the plane popped of the line! I managed to bring it back down but that was scary! We tried one more time but still had the plane pop off the line! We concluded the tow hook was too close to the cg. I took it back to the pits and moved the hook location about 1/4” forward. That made all the difference in the world. Now it went up nice and high and floated off the line. I was starting to adjust the trim and circling the field looking for lift when I noticed the plane had a mind of its own! Oh crap! No control I shouted out as the Spirit circled the field while heading in a downwind manner! I don't know how or why, but it managed to come straight back into the wind and gently landed on the adjacent field!! Holy smokes! That was exciting! Lol! By this time the winds were really starting to kick up so I made the decision to stop flying for the day! When I approached the plane, I noticed the controls were now responding? Back at the pits, I did a radio check from about 70 ft away and everything worked? What the heck?? One of the pilots suggested it may have something to do with the antenna being wrapped around the fuselage instead of straight back? Could be! Anywho, I decided right then and there, that I was going to convert these new planes over to my Futaba 2.4 Ghz radios! For the rest of the day, I enjoyed watching the other pilots at the competition which was halted after four rounds due to the southwest winds that were now hitting over 25 km/hr!

So now I will convert my two new sailplanes to 2.4 GHz plus finish off the weighs and balance of my Wanderer 99. I will be concentrating my flying to these planes for the rest of the season.

I hope your area is experiencing good weather now after what can only be described as a very wet Spring! Any comments good or bad would be appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Cheers!
Lyle
Last edited by Pappyjkns; Jun 19, 2017 at 08:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply