Aug 25, 2017, 08:04 PM
"consumerwil"
Thread OP
I plan to use one as a last resort... I'm going to try to lower the mast first and add ballast

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljimmy
Can you use an extended keel like a sail boat?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2018, 10:25 PM
"consumerwil"
Thread OP

360 Race Cam

I'm finally working on my video cam stuff and this is the 360 Mark Cam

360 Race Cam from Race Mark / Buoy - Its Alive!! (2 min 40 sec)
Nov 28, 2018, 11:30 AM
"consumerwil"
Thread OP

Gonna try to add a GPS position hold...

Similar to this but trying to figure if I need a flight control board now. Was thinking of using 3 or 4 drives with rudders

Ardupilot 3.4 Loiter ( A.K.A. Position Hold ) (4 min 10 sec)
Nov 29, 2018, 05:17 AM
Looking at it, it seems that it really wants to naturally point downwind, so it always needs to reverse to compensate for drifting downwind. Perhaps with the high bits of superstructure more towards the stern? Or a vane? If forward drive and steering is more efficient, naturally pointing upwind might give longer run time for a given amount of battery power.
Thinking back to my early attempts at model boats, I had a couple of Airfix battleships, a Bismark and an Iron Duke. Both free running. Due to differences in superstructure layout, Bismark had a tendency to turn into the wind, Iron Duke tended to turn away from the wind.
Nov 29, 2018, 11:39 AM
"consumerwil"
Thread OP
I was actually thinking a Vane potentiometer? ... maybe a sister mark to set distances at the start line? Also, since you'd need lots of battery power, was thinking of putting the battery in a PVC pipe and use as part of the anchoring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
Looking at it, it seems that it really wants to naturally point downwind, so it always needs to reverse to compensate for drifting downwind. Perhaps with the high bits of superstructure more towards the stern? Or a vane? If forward drive and steering is more efficient, naturally pointing upwind might give longer run time for a given amount of battery power.
Thinking back to my early attempts at model boats, I had a couple of Airfix battleships, a Bismark and an Iron Duke. Both free running. Due to differences in superstructure layout, Bismark had a tendency to turn into the wind, Iron Duke tended to turn away from the wind.
Nov 30, 2018, 05:28 AM
Station keeping in still water is mostly a case of compensating for downwind drift. If the boat naturally points upwind, then controlled forward will result in the least power used to do the job. Unless a boat was designed to manoever backwards, manual reversing is a bit of a pig to do. An autonomous system doing corrections by reversing will probably be very busy, and thus power hungry.
Maybe a fixed vane, or, for sailing to station, a retractable one. Thnking about it, an arrangement used a lot on fishing boats to keep the bows to the wind and provide some side to side stability.
If the camera can pan through 360, it doesn't really matter which way the boat underneath it is pointing.
Jul 16, 2019, 10:11 AM
"consumerwil"
Thread OP

version 3.0

I acquired a Proboat Alpha jet boat for cheap so thought I'd make good use of it...
FPV Pro Boat Alpha Jet boat with GoPro3 gimbal (1 min 43 sec)
Sep 07, 2019, 09:44 PM
"consumerwil"
Thread OP

On the water footage

Finally! some time on the water. Was really happy with the video quality and performance of this old gimbal. Still need to figure out how to pan!! Argh!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tSDrK9vRpc

Quick Reply