Jun 17, 2017, 11:13 AM
Portsmouth & Malta
Thread OP
Announce

Team USA, F3b practice session at Rhode Island Soaring Club

For all those interested in rc soaring, the US F3b team is having it's last big practice session before heading to the Czech Republic for the world championships in August.

Tom K. Mike L. and Reto F. are going to be at the Rhode Island Soaring Club field on the weekend of the 1st and 2nd July. There is the final team member, Glauco L. who so far cannot attend.

So if any one in the area is interested in seeing, getting involved or even flying, just get in touch with me here or else one of the gents mentioned above for further info.

It's not often that these pilots are on the East coast together, let alone to practice, on what is considered the toughest of rc soaring disciplines.

For those unaware what F3b is, it is a particular class of sailplane contest where the same sailplane must be capable of completing 3 separate and completely distinct flying tasks.
The first is a simple 10 min. thermal duration flight, the second is a distance flight to cover as many laps of a 150m course in 4 min. and the final task is to cover 4 laps of that same 150m. course in the shortest time possible.

It's sounds so easy, but it really isn't. Not by a long shot.

Come and see what this unique sport is all about.

Alex,
Rhode Island Soaring Club
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2017, 04:38 AM
I've got my calendar marked, and should be there to help out.
Jun 18, 2017, 05:28 AM
Portsmouth & Malta
Thread OP
That's brilliant Dave, any idea if Wal could make it too?

Oh, don't forget to bring your old Supra or Pike with you!
Jun 19, 2017, 03:09 PM
Maarten
I will be there. Helping and flying.
Looking forward to this event.
Maarten
Latest blog entry: CR Climmax pro
Jun 19, 2017, 03:46 PM
InJamNoOneCanHearYouScrea m
Skinny,
I will be down with Dave to help out.
Wal
Jun 19, 2017, 04:44 PM
It's good to hear we have volunteers on a holiday wrrkend. Looking forward to our practice session on green grass.

I'm waiting for my flight home from the soaring oven we had for this past weekends Gator speed cup and contest. Less than 2 weeks to RI
Latest blog entry: Is-4 Jastrzab Build
Jun 19, 2017, 09:01 PM
I'm looking forward to the event too. It has been a while since I've flown on sod and even longer since I've flown on the East Coast.

Thanks in advance to everyone helping out!

Tom
Jun 19, 2017, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
I'm looking forward to the event too. It has been a while since I've flown on sod and even longer since I've flown on the East Coast.

Thanks in advance to everyone helping out!

Tom
RI has the best soaring field of the ESL sites. Open, flat, some challenging conditions at times. Plus an on site golf cart. We should also have plenty of daylight to get in some flying.
Jun 21, 2017, 11:16 AM
What's wrong with heavy?
I should be there too! Weather is usually nice this time of year, should be nice.
Jun 21, 2017, 08:05 PM
F3B and F3K

Distance fund raiser flight on Saturday

Hi gents

The US team will do one fundraising distance flight on Saturday at the Rhode Island practice where the three team pilots will be flying against each other and trying to fly as many laps as possible.

We would like to use this exhibition distance flight as an opportunity for fundraising, the idea is that donations per lap are made by anyone who wants to support the US F3B team.

You can make donations based on the laps by an individual pilot or laps flown by the team as a whole.

As a guideline, in calm air, 21-22 laps are usual, in crap air it can be as low as 10 and in great air the WR is 36 laps.
So if you put 1$ per lap for the team, it may cost you somewhere between ~$60 (average flying by the pilots) to $100 (all three pilots flying around 33 laps).

Attached are the lap counts of the fundraiser flight we held in Dallas.

Thus it is a performance based donation.

Donations can be made here (http://www.teamusaf3b.com/store#!/Do...=0&sort=normal ) or directly to the AMA F3B team fund.

We will "broadcast" the flight here in this thread, so stay tuned.

We thank you for your support.

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Jun 24, 2017 at 06:44 PM.
Jun 27, 2017, 04:50 PM
What's wrong with heavy?
Jim Sullivan helped the RISC team at the last Gator, did a fair amount of button pushing as well, will be also around to help and maybe get to maiden his new/used Tragi! Weather is still looking good!
Jun 27, 2017, 10:09 PM
Things are looking good. We have Alex and Martin and Dennis and Jim with some B models to fly distance against. And Wally and Dave are coming to help. One more helper would be our minimum for distance but a few extras would help for the other two pilots flying against the US pilots.

We should also get some nice speed flyhing in. Breeze looks like it will be up Saturday, so you can see some really high launches with plenty of ballast. I think we can put in some 13's. Will we get some 12's?
Jun 29, 2017, 08:29 PM
Airplanes and equipment are packed. Off to the field tomorrow. Saturday looks like good practice conditions. Much cooler than Lost Hills, a nice wind to launch high. The field should provide its usual variety of lift conditions.
Jun 30, 2017, 02:27 PM
Portsmouth & Malta
Thread OP

Field choice....

Reto, Tom and all the others coming to help out this weekend for the F3b practice session, the field we shall be using is at the intersection of:
Heaton Orchard Road and
Beaver River School House Road, in Richmond, RI.

If you have any difficulties in locating this just call me.

Al
Last edited by alexhallmalta; Jun 30, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Jun 30, 2017, 04:08 PM
Maarten
Heaton Orchard is a fantastic field with a big horizon.
Tonight I will load the car with Reto's planes, winches, batteries, etc. Ready to support the US team.

I even took some cautionary radigraphs of the Fosa joiners to make sure there were no cracks in it.
A hard landing made us worried.
Latest blog entry: CR Climmax pro

Quick Reply