Finding the right drone for your business - RC Groups
Jun 16, 2017, 03:53 PM
Discussion

Finding the right drone for your business

I've seen a lot of questions about which drone to purchase for your business. Here's a post that doesn't give a direct answer but tells you what factors to consider in order to find the right fit. The benefits of multi-rotor vs. fixed wing are discussed. It also includes a link to a comprehensive buyer's guide.

https://blog.dronedeploy.com/choosin...t-6ec2d02eff48
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2017, 06:12 PM
TechnoGeek

It's cost vs features vs lock-in

After looking at what is available in complete systems to purchase, I decided to build my own systems.

The main factor for me is cost - many have said that you can't build a system to compete with the off the shelf systems for the same money, but I have found in larger systems, that not to be true at all. The X6 I am finishing the design on, even with a very expensive KDE power system, is less than half of the off-the shelf cost of a complete system. Once you step up to the larger systems, over, say 650mm frame size, it is much cheaper to build than buy - if you have the skill & don't mind the time.

The complete systems I compare to, by the way, still mostly have no radios, no telemetry, no video TX, etc, so they really aren't complete. Even using the best components available, my cost will be around $2K in parts. You can't even come close to that with an off-the-shelf system that is ready to fly.

The other main factor in my mind is flexibility and avoiding brand lock-in. There are some nice off-the shelf units out there, but they lock you into their brand - not for me. Disclosure: I am an engineer & licensed A&P so building them may be easier for me than for others. YMMV. -G
Sep 21, 2017, 03:45 PM
How you doing with your Project Finish yet
Oct 04, 2017, 03:46 PM
So can I ask you: how do you pick your components?
I am new to larger devices, and grow some interest in civilian applications.
I have experience with racers, so I'd consider building. But don't know where to start when it comes to select a FC let's say. Which firmware are the most popular with professional drone pilots?