Jun 22, 2017, 04:16 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
I think i might reset it to default, the weathers been changing almsot every day going from hot n dry 1 day to humid and cooler the next ive noticed the engine tunning changing yeseterday was cooler and would give a quick 5 minutes shower now and then. it was way less smokey than normal.

So i should really learn to tune it.
Once dialled in and provided you use a consistent fuel, it should require little more than the occasional click on the main needle...
Don't keep working those needles for every little tidbit of change....
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2017, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967
Once dialled in and provided you use a consistent fuel, it should require little more than the occasional click on the main needle...
Don't keep working those needles for every little tidbit of change....
I had some trouble today thought my glow starter had ran out of battery. would settle into an idel and then want to quit. thinking it was lean ion the idle ihad nudged the idle misture up a tad but it still did the same then it wouldnt start again (which is why i thought my glow starter was dead)

took it home and tried a double a battery started but would do the same thing once settled into an idle then i couldnt get it started.. it was flooded. poured a ton of fuel out the exhaust. So i did the pinch test once i got it started again (this time back to my glow battery which was actually fine) the engine ran for 10 seconds before speeding up then diying. i repeated after dialed ithe idle a nudge at a time each time the length of time the engine ran shorted. It also made the idle faster so i could reduce my thorttle on radio.

At this point it was about 8 seconds for the engine to die. Idle screw was at the 1pm position. as it was idling nicely and transition from idle nicely i didnt want to go any further. although im not at the field so cant test it properly. but i have a feeling that its going to be way easier to start and wont stumble on spoolups.

I was given some 15% nitro heli fuel that was no use to the guy as he had converted his heli to gas so will probably need to retune for that
Jun 22, 2017, 12:17 PM
Closed Account
8 seconds???? that is quite some time, seems fairly rich to me....

But if it runs right, accelerates OK and holds a prolonged idle, why change it?
Jun 22, 2017, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
8 seconds???? that is quite some time, seems fairly rich to me....

But if it runs right, accelerates OK and holds a prolonged idle, why change it?
yeah thats my thinking, its now starting easier and idling fine and picking up speed very well ill just leave it. better being on the rich side. it would not hold an idle well before i touched it unless you had the throttle up much higher which would start turning the blades.
Jun 23, 2017, 07:41 AM
Thread OP
I leaned it ouit a little more today, now the engine starts to speed up after 3 seconds and dies about 8. After looking at the manual the idle mixture has never been touched its at its default position which according to manual is for breakin so makes sense for it to be rich.

didnt get to fly today as its really windy, but it did seem slightly easier to get going today although it did require running the starter longer but once it fired that was it going and wouldnt quid when blipping the throttle
Jun 23, 2017, 08:10 AM
Closed Account
To be honest: that sounds about right: 3~4 seconds of pinch before it starts to speed up.

You can speed up the starting, by before connecting the glow power, give it a quick blip of the starter with the tailpipe closed (fingertip, or rubber plug).
Jun 23, 2017, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
To be honest: that sounds about right: 3~4 seconds of pinch before it starts to speed up.

You can speed up the starting, by before connecting the glow power, give it a quick blip of the starter with the tailpipe closed (fingertip, or rubber plug).
i think im pretty happy now with how its idling and responding to throttle. it think it was so rich it was just extinquishing the plug if you opened the throttle too much, and because it was set so rich the idle was set higher to compensate.
Jun 23, 2017, 03:08 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
i think im pretty happy now with how its idling and responding to throttle. it think it was so rich it was just extinquishing the plug if you opened the throttle too much, and because it was set so rich the idle was set higher to compensate.
Nobody can look inside an engine to see what exactly is going on, but I think you are spot on with that assessment....

How do you like the fuel experience so far, coming from electrics?
Jun 23, 2017, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Nobody can look inside an engine to see what exactly is going on, but I think you are spot on with that assessment....

How do you like the fuel experience so far, coming from electrics?
ill probably enjoy it more once i get it more reliable. apart from that the heli has bags of power and its convenient just being able to fill a tank and go.

The noise of the engine sadly masks the blade noise....

I just happen to stumble across a really good deal so went for it.

Ill reset the mid and high needle to between breakin and what others tend to sit at and go from there see if i can get the needles in sync.
Jun 23, 2017, 06:15 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
The noise of the engine sadly masks the blade noise....
All the more reason to fly harder...
Jun 25, 2017, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
Trex 600 nitro Rankingston (3 min 15 sec)

Quick Reply